Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Syntheyic Oil Warning

By Dan{T.O.O}, April 2, 2008

Dan{T.O.O}

I'm sure a lot of you read about this but for all of those who didn't.

Amsoil, the largest producers of synthetic motor oil has issued a warning about synthetic motor oil. Acting on complaints Amsoil has conducted numurous test on the synthetic motor oil and were shocked by one of there findings. Synthesized hydrocarbon,one of the main material that forms the base stock of the oil was found to have a unpredicted reaction when heated to over 150"F. They call it the "lirpa sloof" reaction. What that mean is that when the hydrocarbons are heated to over 150"F they form chrystalites which are hard micro granular almost sand like carbon particals. The problem with these particals is they don't float in the oil. They tend to adhere or stick to metal parts or components inside the engine so when changing your oil they don't expel. Over a extended period of time the chrystalites build up inside your engine and eventually causes major damage to your engine. A few reports showed that it caused the engine to completely seize. Amsoil recommends that you follow the next procedures immediately.

1. drain your oil and fill up with a single grade low viscosity 0W oil and add a bottle of oil additive.The brand is of no importance as long as it contains "zinc dialkyldithiophosphate". Drive your car for about 1000 miles.

2 drain your oil again. it should be a light color and look almost foamy. then fill your car with a multi-grade 20W50 oil which will absorb the remaining chrystalites. drive for another 1000 miles

3 drain your oil again and refill with conventional oil. Toyota recommends 5W30. If you have been using synthetic oil for three years or less then follow the recommended oil change interval. If you have been using synthetic oil for more than three years than Amsoil recommends you change your oil every 1000 miles.{1500 miles max}

to read the official report go to {copy and paste}

http://www.defenselink.mil/afis/editors/lineart/fools.gif

default_biggrin I was wondering when it was going to hit this forum.

Bikeman982

I don't use Amsoil oil. Does it apply to other brands??

Nothing to worry about. Click the link at the bottom of the post Bike - its an April Fool's gag.

Bikeman982

Nothing to worry about. Click the link at the bottom of the post Bike - its an April Fool's gag.

Thanks.

I thought something was fishy (no pun) when a synthetic oil maker would recommend using anything other than their own brand or any other synthetic oils.

I hardly ever click on the links - usually they don't work for me.

Good thing I didn't rush out and change all the oil in my cars!!

ESPECIALLY from Amsoil of all people.

I thought something was fishy (no pun) when a synthetic oil maker would recommend using anything other than their own brand or any other synthetic oils.
I'm sure a lot of you read about this but for all of those who didn't.

Amsoil, the largest producers of synthetic motor oil has issued a warning about synthetic motor oil. Acting on complaints Amsoil has conducted numurous test on the synthetic motor oil and were shocked by one of there findings. Synthesized hydrocarbon,one of the main material that forms the base stock of the oil was found to have a unpredicted reaction when heated to over 150"F. They call it the "lirpa sloof" reaction. What that mean is that when the hydrocarbons are heated to over 150"F they form chrystalites which are hard micro granular almost sand like carbon particals. The problem with these particals is they don't float in the oil. They tend to adhere or stick to metal parts or components inside the engine so when changing your oil they don't expel. Over a extended period of time the chrystalites build up inside your engine and eventually causes major damage to your engine. A few reports showed that it caused the engine to completely seize. Amsoil recommends that you follow the next procedures immediately.

1. drain your oil and fill up with a single grade low viscosity 0W oil and add a bottle of oil additive.The brand is of no importance as long as it contains "zinc dialkyldithiophosphate". Drive your car for about 1000 miles.

2 drain your oil again. it should be a light color and look almost foamy. then fill your car with a multi-grade 20W50 oil which will absorb the remaining chrystalites. drive for another 1000 miles

3 drain your oil again and refill with conventional oil. Toyota recommends 5W30. If you have been using synthetic oil for three years or less then follow the recommended oil change interval. If you have been using synthetic oil for more than three years than Amsoil recommends you change your oil every 1000 miles.{1500 miles max}

to read the official report go to {copy and paste}

http://www.defenselink.mil/afis/editors/lineart/fools.gif

Bolded are your hints that this is what it's meant to be. default_biggrin

(At least clean your typos and grammar before posting a joke default_biggrin)

Dan{T.O.O}

I thought maybe the phrase "Lirpa sloof" would give it away. spell it backwards.

sorry about the grammar...dementia is settling in.

I don't use synthetic oil but this stuff still makes me really mad. People are so gullible and many of them will believe anything they read on the internet. It can really do a number on a business when people buy into these internet hoaxes. If only they were limited to April Fools Day it might be a little more tolerable.

Topic List: Go to Everything Else