Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

03 Or 04?

by Ntombi, February 26, 2008

Hi.

I'm planning on getting a newer Corolla in the next few months. I'm planning to spend about $10,000, and I'm looking at a 9th generation LE. That will probably put me into an 03 or 04.

All things being equal, in terms of condition, mileage, and features, is there some reason I should avoid one year over the other? I'm always a little more leery of the first model year, but I don't know if that's reasonable for these Corollas.

Any thoughts one way or the other?

Oh, and on a related note, I'll be selling my 99 CE with 133k + miles. It has some dings and interior cosmetic issues, like the bulb on the shifter is out. Should I spend the money to fix these things before I try to sell, or just not bother? I wouldn't get any body work done, but I can replace the bulbs, and pay my mechanic to try to find the short that makes my clock display only intermittently.

• 1,424 posts

Welcome to Corolland,

The '03 and '04 Corolla LE are almost identically equipped. That being said, I would go for the'04 model.

The '03 had numerous issues, and although they were nothing major, they were fixed by the '04 model year.

Like any other car, it is better to buy in the second year after a redesign, or better yet, the last year of a design. That way, all the bugs are worked out.

As for your current car; No one expects a perfect 9 year old car with over 100,000 miles and for the money you'll be getting for it, no one will expect everything in it to work either. Unless the mechanic will replace the shifter bulb and fix the clock for less than $60, I'd forget about both. The shifter bulb is a PITA to replace because it requires console disassembly and it is not something I would do myself since unless you let someone test drive the car at night, no one will know it is burnt out.

Welcome to Corolland,

The '03 and '04 Corolla LE are almost identically equipped. That being said, I would go for the'04 model.

The '03 had numerous issues, and although they were nothing major, they were fixed by the '04 model year.

Like any other car, it is better to buy in the second year after a redesign, or better yet, the last year of a design. That way, all the bugs are worked out.

As for your current car; No one expects a perfect 9 year old car with over 100,000 miles and for the money you'll be getting for it, no one will expect everything in it to work either. Unless the mechanic will replace the shifter bulb and fix the clock for less than $60, I'd forget about both. The shifter bulb is a PITA to replace because it requires console disassembly and it is not something I would do myself since unless you let someone test drive the car at night, no one will know it is burnt out.

I agree. Had an 03 and there were some issues.

A thought for you.

Toyota was doing $1,500 cash back on the 08 CE. I got one for arounf $14K with a dealer discount since the 09 was coming in Feb 08.

Check it out. Might get a new 08 with warranty for not too much more than an 04.

Yeah, I wish. I'd love to get a new car, but it's out of my reach.

I'll be paying cash, and I can't swing more than $10k, plus taxes and fees. I won't be able to buy for another couple of months. Plus, I have to have cruise control and keyless entry in this car, so that pretty much brings me up to an LE. I will keep checking, but I'm pretty much seeing that that means an 03 or 04 (possibly an 05). default_sad

I'll be happy with that. Mostly. default_cool

Thanks for your replies. Keep 'em coming, if there's anything to add.

Oh, and I'm going to try to replace the bulb on my 99's instrument panel later today. I'll leave the shifter bulb alone. Thanks for that advice.

• 1,424 posts
I have to have cruise control and keyless entry in this car, so that pretty much brings me up to an LE. I will keep checking, but I'm pretty much seeing that that means an 03 or 04 (possibly an 05). default_sad

Cruise was optional on the LE for '03-'08. Don't assume that because the car is an LE that it has cruise, 95% of them will, but there will be ones that won't and if it is that important to you, I'd make absolutely sure before I bought.

Cruise control on a Toyota is a small black stalk on the right hand side on the steering wheel. It sticks out inbetween the bottom and right spoke of the steering wheel. It has a button on the end and white writing on it. I believe the writing on it is as follows (SET, ACCEL, CRUISE, RESUME, CANCEL).

Anyhow, if you're going to buy from a dealer, be prepared to negotiate. Most will want somewhere in the neighborhood of $12,500 for a 2004 LE with average mileage. That is too much when you consider that it stickered for $16,000 for when it was new and it is now 4 years old, especially since an all new model just came out and they are giving $1,500 cashback on new '07 models. It is worth more like $10,000, which is more in line with what you want to pay. A 2003 will sticker for about $1,500 less than a comparable '04.

Buying from a private individual will definitely be more cost effective, but it comes with inherent risks that you must assume. My advice to you is take a friend with you who is car savvy to look at any car, regardless of where you intend to buy it from. Also insist on seeing a carfax. An '03 and any '04 with more than 50,000 miles on it should be on its second set of tires, so they should have plenty of tread left. If they don't use that as a way to knock down the price.

Also, make sure all the features work, and I do mean all of them. Not only should they work, but the power windows and locks should operate smoothly and quickly. The CD player should read the CD quickly and the keyless entry should work from at least 15 feet away. Keyless entry was standard on the LE, so when you buy yours, it should come with two remotes as well as two keys.

A final thought, don't go for the '05. I had one, and as you said earlier, buying the first model year of a redesign is not a good idea. While mine had no issues with any of the mechanicals, it had some electronics issues. '05 was the first year for DBW in a Corolla and it had some quarks. Sometimes the car would not accelerate quickly at first and then like a bat out of hell all of the sudden. Other times it would accelerate more then you intended and then not back off when you let off the gas. Also, the tire pressure monitoring would randomly act up and alert you to low tire pressure when no condition existed. They fixed both of those things for '06. If you go with an '04 you won't have to worry about them.

I have to have cruise control and keyless entry in this car, so that pretty much brings me up to an LE. I will keep checking, but I'm pretty much seeing that that means an 03 or 04 (possibly an 05). default_sad

Cruise was optional on the LE for '03-'08. Don't assume that because the car is an LE that it has cruise, 95% of them will, but there will be ones that won't and if it is that important to you, I'd make absolutely sure before I bought.

Cruise control on a Toyota is a small black stalk on the right hand side on the steering wheel. It sticks out inbetween the bottom and right spoke of the steering wheel. It has a button on the end and white writing on it. I believe the writing on it is as follows (SET, ACCEL, CRUISE, RESUME, CANCEL).

Anyhow, if you're going to buy from a dealer, be prepared to negotiate. Most will want somewhere in the neighborhood of $12,500 for a 2004 LE with average mileage. That is too much when you consider that it stickered for $16,000 for when it was new and it is now 4 years old, especially since an all new model just came out and they are giving $1,500 cashback on new '07 models. It is worth more like $10,000, which is more in line with what you want to pay. A 2003 will sticker for about $1,500 less than a comparable '04.

Buying from a private individual will definitely be more cost effective, but it comes with inherent risks that you must assume. My advice to you is take a friend with you who is car savvy to look at any car, regardless of where you intend to buy it from. Also insist on seeing a carfax. An '03 and any '04 with more than 50,000 miles on it should be on its second set of tires, so they should have plenty of tread left. If they don't use that as a way to knock down the price.

Also, make sure all the features work, and I do mean all of them. Not only should they work, but the power windows and locks should operate smoothly and quickly. The CD player should read the CD quickly and the keyless entry should work from at least 15 feet away. Keyless entry was standard on the LE, so when you buy yours, it should come with two remotes as well as two keys.

A final thought, don't go for the '05. I had one, and as you said earlier, buying the first model year of a redesign is not a good idea. While mine had no issues with any of the mechanicals, it had some electronics issues. '05 was the first year for DBW in a Corolla and it had some quarks. Sometimes the car would not accelerate quickly at first and then like a bat out of hell all of the sudden. Other times it would accelerate more then you intended and then not back off when you let off the gas. Also, the tire pressure monitoring would randomly act up and alert you to low tire pressure when no condition existed. They fixed both of those things for '06. If you go with an '04 you won't have to worry about them.

I sold my 03 CE with 57K to Carmax for $7,500. They then flipped it for over $12K in 2 days. This was a stripped 5 speed with great service history and new tires. It blew me away that Carmax sold a 6 year old car for only $2K less than a new 08 CE similarly equipped. There's way too much markup in many used car deals.

If you could swing a $10K downpayment, your installments for a new 08 might be very low. The 08 is so improved over the 03 that I can't even count all the bug fixes and improvements.

Hope things work out well whatever you decide.

Thanks for the input. I know that not all the LEs have CC, so that'll be one of my first looks (I have CC on my current CE). I'm used to buying cars, new and used, so I'll have my carfax and mechanic lined up, and I'm the go-to layperson for mechanical stuff in my circle, so I'm not too worried about that part of it.

Thanks for the numbers, that's really helpful, and right in line with the research I've done for the last couple of days. I tend to over-research and drive myself a little nuts in the preparation, but that's better than the alternative, I guess. default_laugh

I think, based on your input, and my research, I'll stick to the 04. default_cool

Oh, and I did change the instrument panel bulbs today, after I finally convinced the AutoZone guy that I didn't need to buy from the dealer. What is it with car guys not believing that I, as a young-looking woman, could know what I'm talking about when I ask for a specific part number? Dealing with him took longer than changing the bulbs. But I'm going to leave the shifter panel alone.

BobLevine, I'll run the numbers, and I'd love for them to work, but that's a distant second possibility right now. Thanks.

Thanks again, everyone. I have found a lot of useful and fun info here, so I'm sticking around. default_smile

Welcome to Corolland,

A thought for you.

Toyota was doing $1,500 cash back on the 08 CE. I got one for arounf $14K with a dealer discount since the 09 was coming in Feb 08.

Check it out. Might get a new 08 with warranty for not too much more than an 04.

My sister just bought an 07 corolla for the same price as they sold the 04s on the same lot.

I had the 04 model and convinced her to get a corolla.

Welcome to Corolland,

A thought for you.

My sister just bought an 07 corolla for the same price as they sold the 04s on the same lot.

I had the 04 model and convinced her to get a corolla.

Some used car prices are silly.

I really am pleased with the deal on my 08 CE.

Bikeman982

Go with the newest car you can get for your money.

Do the research and check places online.

I get most of my cars from e-Bay or craigslist and get ones that need work.

I do work on them myself.

It's great to hear that a female has a good understanding of mechanical items, since most females do not.

When they see you come in the door, they figure they can baffle you with so much technical talk that you will buy whatever they tell you.

Good luck and stay with the forum, we would love to hear what you get and all the details.

Topic List