Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

How Small Is Your House?

By c2105026, February 18, 2008

hello all,

I have recently moved into a 3br house that seems quite small. I measured it, and turns out it is 1140 sq ft, incl carport. Anyone out there got one smaller?

Bikeman982

hello all,

I have recently moved into a 3br house that seems quite small. I measured it, and turns out it is 1140 sq ft, incl carport. Anyone out there got one smaller?

Sounds quite small. My motorhome is almost that big.

If you combined all my cars together, they would be larger than your house.

Did you want a very small place, or is it what was within your budget??

hello all,

It depends how you measure it. We have a bungalow that is 1100 sq ft, (main level) but that doesn't include the full basement or garage.....or the huge lot it's on. Our other place...4 doors down is called 1200 sq. ft..but thats only counting one of the three levels. The more you got.....the more you have to clean. Also, is the 1140 sq ft the actual house or the lot?

Max

My house is 1100 sq.ft including the attached garage. The lot is 900 sq. ft.

I was looking for a place, only really had one day to look, it was the best on offer at the time...rent is A$240 a week, house is freshly renovated inside except for the bathroom. exterior may need a little work. Garden was quite lush and pretty but was very overgrown. Yard fairly big, total block might be 5-700sqm. TV aerial is stuffed....

It is just me for now, so there isn't the need for any space, and I am only intending to live there for the 6 month lease. only thing is the kitchen has some awkward access to cupboards and counter areas. Apparently it was sold at auction around xmas for A$202k. Real Estate is a bit $$$ in australia, even in rural areas....for same sort of money (after conversion) I found a similar house in long beach CA, that is a suburb of a very large city...

Max

Same as Long Beach? Wow- that is some expensive real estate.

yup, housing affordability in australia stinks. We had a big boom early on in the decade. Back in 2001 you could find a cheap 3br house in my home town of orange for A$70k. Now its $120k+. Back in 1990 my parents built their house for $280k, now its honing in on $550k. Today the average first home buyer is paying about $430k for their first house. Many suburbs in sydney have median house prices over $1000k. To boot, our intrest rates (9%) are much higher than US rates (<6%). For my first home, I am looking at getting a nice 3br house for $250-270k. And THIS is in a remote rural location, in one of the cheaper regional centres in NSW. My brother lives on the outskirts of sydney - he is looking at over $300k to buy a townhouse/villa/condo etc.

If the credit cruch has affected the US markets, I don't even want to think what will happen to the australian market which is overpriced and so very vulnerable.

Topic List: Go to Everything Else