Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

8gen Supercharger Kit

by Cyberbilly, February 11, 2008

Not bad - but I'll believe it when I see it installed in an 8th gen. The way it is worded - all word of mouth from some guy that one of the members knows. Could be the real deal - but I've seen half a dozen of so "similar" projects that end up just being vaporware. You get tons of interest - but when it comes down to people sending money, most end up backing out or the project stalls for whatever reason.

Hopefully they will get it fully worked out on the "guinea pig" - once that happens then I'd be more willing to lay down some cash. For $3000 for bolt on package is pretty ambitious. Being available for multiple platforms is nice, but got me really worried - I'll keep checking back on that thread and see updated pics.

Otherwise for us 8th gens - the only viable options are custom turbocharger setups and custom centrifugal superchargers (Procharger). All are real - but cost is easily double what that guy is asking. We'll see.

EDIT: Looks like a Greddy Supercharger that they use on the 2ZZGE engine for Celicas (Magnuson / Magna Charger). Some have sucessfully installed them on Corolla XRS, but needed some mods. The guy that has the setup is the same as the one cutting the TRD supercharger adapters - so this could be interesting. Still - I think those Greddy kits run anywhere from $2200 - $3500. If he can keep the price around the $3000 mark, that would be very impressive. Let's hope the test fitting and shakedown work out.

Just a question regarding this and other similar posts.

Wouldn't it be easier (& more cost effective) to get a faster car?

Around here, an 8G Corolla runs $5-7k (i think) + $2-3k for turbo/supercharger = $7-10k

If you sell/trade-in the Corolla, couldn't you get a decent "sporty" car for that price range?

I guess not being a Corolla purist, I just dont get it...

tdk

Around here, an 8G Corolla runs $5-7k (i think) + $2-3k for turbo/supercharger = $7-10k

If you sell/trade-in the Corolla, couldn't you get a decent "sporty" car for that price range?

tdk

Your not alone. Putting forced induction on a Corolla would make a really nice money pit. From someone who has dealt with the cost involve in fixing up a car that already came with a turbo (engine and drive train already up to the task) it doesn't take long for mods to find all the weaknesses in a car. Stock clutch, brakes, suspension are all going to be weak points and have to be replaced at or before failure. Injectors, fuel pump, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, safety and or tunning gages, software, hardware, tools, time in picking up knowledge and tools. That's just a short list, I'm sure I'm missing some stuff.

If you actually pay someone else to do the work, you might as well spend the same amount, if not less on a used C5 vette.

A used WRX, SRT-4 would be a much better choice. Even a Honda Si would be a better choice.

Leave a Corolla to get from point A to point B while using a small amount of gas. Maybe with some rubber and suspension mods. I can tell from some very basic stuff that the car will be able to be tossed around rather nicely with some nice street suspension.

tdk

You are right, but to me this is a hobby, and no one ever made money on a hobby. I'm doing it because I like my Corolla and want to do a tuning job on it. I'm not out to prove anything; Its just fun for me, and that's what its all about. default_biggrin

Right on Cyberbilly default_biggrin Good attitude about modding a Corolla - don't do it to prove anything, just do it for a hobby or because it is fun.

I heartily agree with tdk and gvr - there are better cars out there for performance oriented mods - as you can sink a ton of money fast, to attempt to make an "economy" car perform beyond its intended design - but if it is for educational as well as for a hobby merits - nothing wrong with that at all.

Right on Cyberbilly default_biggrin Good attitude about modding a Corolla - don't do it to prove anything, just do it for a hobby or because it is fun.

I heartily agree with tdk and gvr - there are better cars out there for performance oriented mods - as you can sink a ton of money fast, to attempt to make an "economy" car perform beyond its intended design - but if it is for educational as well as for a hobby merits - nothing wrong with that at all.

Look. We all know that the Corolla is the ugly stepchild to the tuning world. There is not a lot out there to mod with. But still, it would be kind of cool to show up at a meet and have some Honda dude come up and say "Whoa! You did all that with a Corolla? Suh-WEET! default_tongue "

The problem with the Corolla is, it just doesn't have the support as other cars. Unless you have a background in engineering and mechanical skills, it just isn't that smart of a choice.

I should have been more clear on what I meant on a money pit. You don't get your money back from mods. Maybe 10-15% when selling a car, assuming they were done right, and you find a buyer who wants a one off tunned Corolla.

For money pit, I was thinking of all the things that are going to break along the way. All the cost your not seeing. Not just in replacing stuff, but all the parts and tools you will need to do the work.

Do you already have a garage full of tools and a history of working on cars?

I'm not trying to bash, I'm really not, but most people with ideals like this run out of money after they get started, or the job just doesn't get done right. Cars aren't much good taken apart waiting for new parts, or a finished install.

My Mustang has been down for about two months over a simple clutch install. Just to give a few of the problems, someone had after market 12 point flywheel bolts on it. It's not very easy hunting down a 19mm 12 point impact socket. Then my promo impact gun wasn't strong enough, so I had to buy a 600'lb impact gun to get the flywheel bolts off. Next it got too cold out, so I bought a kerosene heater for the garage, but it can only keep up once the temps are near 30, so I've haven't been able to work on it because of the weather. I also hurt my shoulder rather badly. I'm not even sure how, but I think I over extended it with weight.

You will have different challenges, but you will have challenges, and your car could be down for over a month. You might be waiting on a part you didn't realize you needed, or you might need a tool you don't already have.

Last but not least, if you do get it all to work, you won't have LSD up front. I checked and it's not cheap. If you really want to do this, I'd see if you can handle the headache of getting a LSD in your trans. You will need it with the extra power, or you will be sitting in place spinning your tires, and if you don't go through with the project, at least you will be able to leave the light faster then other Corolla's on the street.

You can find mostly non rusted AWD 1G DSMs for under 2K now. That would be less then the cost of a LSD installed on your Corolla. The AWD would take care of your traction problems, and you can work on a project car while you drive your Corolla to work, or school, or wherever you need to go. That's why people buy a Corolla.

Absolutely - As for the money pit, I kind of figured you meant all costs including those above and beyond the cost of the parts intended to be installed. I'm in the same boat, anyone that doesn't look beyond the cost of the part they are planning to install - should not really attempt it - just a recipe for failure down the road. But everyone approaches this a little differently, some will learn along the way.

Most people should also assume that any mods they pump into the car will add minimal value to the car, some cases will drop the value of the car in the resale market. If you are going to mod it - better to drive it into the ground or find someone that shares your POV and willing to pay for said mods.

I think everyone has started somewhere - not everyone has a choice of which car they end up with or have access to a fully equipped garage fully stocked with tools and equipment (I'm one of the lucky ones - full access to a machine/fabrication shop + race shop). Even then, I still invested a shocking amount of money into tuning small displacement imports (Honda) - this is way back before you had the support that they enjoy now (1989 to early to mid 1990s). Hard work - but nothing new - as I've worked on old SB/BB GM and MOPAR project cars along the way. Actually, my experience with a Mitsubishi powered Omni GLH turbo in '86 lead me to the Hondas. Eventually picked up a later Dodge Spirit R/T with the 2.5L Mitsu turbo, but dropped that for the Hondas - since I was replacing the oil pump and having to rebuild the tranny seemingly every month.

Back then - there wasn't a huge number of bulletin boards that had any information doing engine swaps, forced induction, etc. - you couldn't Google anything back then, because Google didn't exist. You couldn't truck down to your local autoparts retailer to pickup any "performance" parts for your import, since they didn't really have much of anything. Either that or they would laugh at you for even asking. It was fun to do back then - but priorities have changed - doesn't really pay to invest $5K into a decent, clean import + drop another $5K-$15K in mods to run decent times on the track (ie, my own CRX with the venerable B16A, LSD, sleeved, braced deck, 8PSI - originally sourced from a Volvo or Saab, etc., etc - mid to low 13s on the 1/4). Only to have someone else pickup an older Fox platform Mustang for about $4K, drop in a Kenne Bell supercharger that ran about the $2K+ and spank the tar out of me on the track (run 12s all day long). Would be worse now - since Bell introduced the Blowzilla package -> $3K adds 400+ HP on a 5.0.

But it was fun and one can learn alot - looking back, I shake my head - could have invested that money or squirreled it away. But knowing that I took something and made it better, at least in my mind, always brings a smile to my face.

Absolutely - As for the money pit, I kind of figured you meant all costs including those above and beyond the cost of the parts intended to be installed. I'm in the same boat, anyone that doesn't look beyond the cost of the part they are planning to install - should not really attempt it - just a recipe for failure down the road. But everyone approaches this a little differently, some will learn along the way.

Most people should also assume that any mods they pump into the car will add minimal value to the car, some cases will drop the value of the car in the resale market. If you are going to mod it - better to drive it into the ground or find someone that shares your POV and willing to pay for said mods.

I think everyone has started somewhere - not everyone has a choice of which car they end up with or have access to a fully equipped garage fully stocked with tools and equipment (I'm one of the lucky ones - full access to a machine/fabrication shop + race shop). Even then, I still invested a shocking amount of money into tuning small displacement imports (Honda) - this is way back before you had the support that they enjoy now (1989 to early to mid 1990s). Hard work - but nothing new - as I've worked on old SB/BB GM and MOPAR project cars along the way. Actually, my experience with a Mitsubishi powered Omni GLH turbo in '86 lead me to the Hondas. Eventually picked up a later Dodge Spirit R/T with the 2.5L Mitsu turbo, but dropped that for the Hondas - since I was replacing the oil pump and having to rebuild the tranny seemingly every month.

Back then - there wasn't a huge number of bulletin boards that had any information doing engine swaps, forced induction, etc. - you couldn't Google anything back then, because Google didn't exist. You couldn't truck down to your local autoparts retailer to pickup any "performance" parts for your import, since they didn't really have much of anything. Either that or they would laugh at you for even asking. It was fun to do back then - but priorities have changed - doesn't really pay to invest $5K into a decent, clean import + drop another $5K-$15K in mods to run decent times on the track (ie, my own CRX with the venerable B16A, LSD, sleeved, braced deck, 8PSI - originally sourced from a Volvo or Saab, etc., etc - mid to low 13s on the 1/4). Only to have someone else pickup an older Fox platform Mustang for about $4K, drop in a Kenne Bell supercharger that ran about the $2K+ and spank the tar out of me on the track (run 12s all day long). Would be worse now - since Bell introduced the Blowzilla package -> $3K adds 400+ HP on a 5.0.

But it was fun and one can learn alot - looking back, I shake my head - could have invested that money or squirreled it away. But knowing that I took something and made it better, at least in my mind, always brings a smile to my face.

I'm not trying to take away from the hobby part of it. Not at all. It's just that some cars loose little to no value when you mess with them. A 5.0 or a DSM can be had cheaply and unless you do a total ghetto job with it, you will be able to sell it later on. A Corolla on the other hand, is going to probably be hard to sell with a SCer kit. Not unless you are a known forum gawd, or a proven race shop. You must be aware that you could loose virtually all value with a forced induction Corolla. You would probably have to part it out if you wanted to unload it.

The nice thing about a Mitsu 4g63, mainly a bolt 1G is they are getting way cheaper to mod because so many shops sell parts for them. You can also go salvage yard diving too. ICs, MAFs, and injectors from the 07 EVOs and older. I'm running a set myself. My stock injectors were 450cc denso, and now I have EVO 650cc injectors (that are pron to being a tad under rated). The cars have been around long enough that I got a ECU chip to run a 3G MAF and 560cc injectors without a s-afc. My stock boost gage is a knock counter and my CE light is a shift light.

The problem with the Corolla is, it just doesn't have the support as other cars. Unless you have a background in engineering and mechanical skills, it just isn't that smart of a choice.

I should have been more clear on what I meant on a money pit. You don't get your money back from mods. Maybe 10-15% when selling a car, assuming they were done right, and you find a buyer who wants a one off tunned Corolla.

For money pit, I was thinking of all the things that are going to break along the way. All the cost your not seeing. Not just in replacing stuff, but all the parts and tools you will need to do the work.

Do you already have a garage full of tools and a history of working on cars?

I'm not trying to bash, I'm really not, but most people with ideals like this run out of money after they get started, or the job just doesn't get done right. Cars aren't much good taken apart waiting for new parts, or a finished install.

Yes, there is not a lot of support for Rollas. That's what makes it a challenge. default_wink

As for the money pit factor, as I said, this is a hobby for me. Hobbies - I don't care if it is model railroading, flying RC airplanes, photography, woodworking, collecting Beeny Babies or whatever - are a loosing proposition by nature. I've already sunk thousands of dollars into my Tundra which I will never get back. The payoff? A cool truck which has already taken First Place in a truck show.

In my (much) younger days, I use to mod MGs and Triumphs like they do Civics and Evos today, so I know my way around a wrench. And unlike most kids half my age, I can afford it.

Poor Corolla.

Everyone beats on it.

I wonder why there is so little aftermarket tuning support for it. Until 20yrs ago, it was THE choice for 4cyliner tuners (at least in Japan - I think Honda was already making headway on this side of the pond). That was until Nissan blew them out of the water. (wow... I feel old!!)

I guess the important thing is that we have all of our finances straight.

As mentioned, cars are a money pit. Its unlikely that you will make a profit out of playing with cars.

Invest in your future (ie saving for a house), and with what money you have left, play around.

By looking at the posts, seems like most of the people on this thread are "older" and already have a stable lifestyle.

I have been to other forums, where kids will spend all of their money on their ride, just for bragging rights -- Not much of an investment for their future...

as for me, i am considering giving up the 280z. Work, religion, & family takes up most of my time - also want to go back to school. Maybe a few years down the line (when/if i have the time -- after i get my 2nd or 3rd degree?!), I will get a Cobra kit car... maybe... hopefully!

tdk.

Cyberbilly, aside from having money, have you ever tried putting power to a FWD car with a open diff? It is not fun at all. In the rain it can be a nightmare. I had a FWD turbo talon for a few years and just running 13psi and a bigger IC with bigger piping and a little exhaust work made 1st gear next to useless. At 20mph in 2nd gear, I could hit the gas and spin the tires to red line on dry roads. Even the SRT-4 with a front LSD can be a little useless with mods on take off.

If you really have the money and you like Toyota, you might want to look a MR2 spyder. Or at least see if any of the engine parts can be used on your Corolla. http://jnztuning.net/shop/catalog/index.php?cPath=23

The difference between a Corolla and a truck is that trucks can be cool and tough. If you do build up your Corolla, only do it for yourself, because it probably won't be a crowd favorite at car shows.

Cyberbilly, aside from having money, have you ever tried putting power to a FWD car with a open diff? It is not fun at all. In the rain it can be a nightmare. I had a FWD turbo talon for a few years and just running 13psi and a bigger IC with bigger piping and a little exhaust work made 1st gear next to useless. At 20mph in 2nd gear, I could hit the gas and spin the tires to red line on dry roads. Even the SRT-4 with a front LSD can be a little useless with mods on take off.

If you really have the money and you like Toyota, you might want to look a MR2 spyder. Or at least see if any of the engine parts can be used on your Corolla. http://jnztuning.net/shop/catalog/index.php?cPath=23

The difference between a Corolla and a truck is that trucks can be cool and tough. If you do build up your Corolla, only do it for yourself, because it probably won't be a crowd favorite at car shows.

Thank you for your insight.

I wouldn't bother with forced induction on cars not designed for them. Unless your running a very low psi boost, the amount of money required to invest would be rediculous. A high boost puts a lot of strain on the transmission, the gaskets, liners, etc. You also got to consider fabricating an intercooler and remapping the electronic components if your supercharger doesn't come with an interface designed for the 8th gen Corolla.

Of course, you could always run a low boost like the 03-04 Corolla TRD superchargers did (only 7.5 lbs boost) an avoid the worries of excessive strain to the tranny and engine. You may or may not need an intercooler. The problem is that with that meager amount of boost, don't expect your engine to put out much more than 160 HP. You might as well take the $3000 for the S/C kit and swap in an XRS engine.

Maybe a few years down the line (when/if i have the time -- after i get my 2nd or 3rd degree?!), I will get a Cobra kit car... maybe... hopefully!tdk.

A friend on another forum is building one that will be 575hp so he should be able to kill mosquitos at 60mph if he chooses. I myself would love to have a 300zx twin turbo. Saw one online thats 540hp+ and runs 11 second quarter miles. What fun.

Someone here years ago said a 50 shot of nitros on the corolla would do no harm to the engine or trans since they are well built. Is that still the case? If so that would be a lot cheaper than a sc.

Someone here years ago said a 50 shot of nitros on the corolla would do no harm to the engine or trans since they are well built. Is that still the case? If so that would be a lot cheaper than a sc.

It is also not legal for street use.

Topic List