Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Craigslist

By twinky64, February 5, 2008

This question are for those who perhaps have posted things on craigslist.

I'm currently selling a 1976 Toyota Celica GT. Some people from out of state are willing to buy the car by e-check without wanting pictures or further information about the car outside of what condition its in (running or not). In order for them to send a check or e-check they want my name and address to send the check to. Then they will schedule a shipper to come pick up the car from me. Do you guys think that this is a scam?

From latest to earliest emails.

RE: ok- $2000?

Sent: Mon 2/04/08 11:05 PM

To: Allan Pittman (twinky64@hotmail.com)

thanks fr your respond but amvery sorry am out of the country for an emergency trip and i want you to know that i have much interest in your car please i want you to let my shipping company come for the pickup after i you have print and cash the check so i want you to consider me with this and am ready to offer you $2600 please email me if this is okay by you thansks...

To: mike23401@hotmail.com

Subject: RE: ok- $2000

Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 19:41:31 -0800

Hi mike,

I have recieved many many emails regarding my toyota celica in the fashion you have presented to me (ie. give me all your info and I (buyer) will not give you any of mine). So like you had with your paranoia against scams...I'm paranoid about you scamming me. I just posted pictures of my celica on craigslist. Is it at all possible if I could contact you for your transaction via phone? I need reassurance that this is legitimate. I find it quite odd that you don't want anymore information concerning the celica. I mean no disrespect, sorry if I offended you in any way.

To: twinky64@hotmail.com

Subject: ok- $2000

Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 13:46:33 -0800

Good Day ,

How are you today?i am happy to read your email concerning the sale of your car and to let you know that i try your number but not responding that is the reason why i decided to get back to you fast,i am intrested in it and willing to purchase it as soon as possible.I will handle the shipment myself via my company shippers,They will come for pick up when you must have gotten your cash at hand from the bank.They will prepare all shipment papers and also bill of sales.The car will also be insured by my company shippers.

Concerning the payment Method..

This is due to the fact that my mode of payment will be via Electronic check(Echeck).As there are too many scams on internet with bogus account.All you need to do is to click on the link bellow www.checksoftware.com once the page open click on download now to start downloading the check on your puter and get back to me immediately you download the check so that i can forward my bank information to input into the check,I will add $100 to your asking price to cover the cost of Check Paper ,which is sold at $20 at any

below stores......

1)Shopping Mall

2)Stationery Store

3)Office Max

4)Office Depot

5)Staples Office

6)Com Us.

Once you are satisfy with my mode of payment you can proceed to delete the advert of the car and also get to any above stores to purchase the supplies needed for printing of the check immediately.The Check Paper .Once you have purchase the item you will proceed to print and cash it at any branch of my bank.or at your bank.I will wait for your bank to clear the check and verify it before we proceed with shipment.I will awit your email today if this is Okay by you.

To: mike23401@hotmail.com

Subject: RE: 1976 Toyota Celica GT - $2000 - $2000

Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 12:21:49 -0800

The car has a straight chassis, good shape of the body except for one ding, engine runs well and transmission/drivetrain works well. Its a running project car. I do have the title in hand and I just received my new pink slip last week. I'm a student trying to pay his way through college this being my 4th year, my parents are only paying for 4 years of college so I must find ways to pay for my future schooling. Hope this helps. thankyou for your interest.

To: twinky64@hotmail.com

Subject: 1976 Toyota Celica GT - $2000 - $2000

Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2008 10:17:45 -0800

Dear Seller,

I just view the sales of your car at craigs web today,I will like to know the present working conditions and also last asking price,I also hope you have the Title in your name.Are you the bonfire owner of the car.I am sorry about this questions above this is due to scams on internet.I will await your email with answers to question asked before we can move forward on this transaction as i will like to purchase the car from you as soon as possible.Once the questions are okay by me.As i need to protect myself and family.

Thanks

Hi there

I buy and sell on craigslist and to me it sounds like a scam. I would be suspect of anybody trying to buy from out of state or out of country. My advice when selling a car on craigslist is sell it locally and cash only. To avoid scams accept cash only. good luck with the sale

^^^ I agree with mitoyorolla. There is a similar toned message on another forum where the buyer was out of state/country and would pay via E-check. Shipper did come out to pickup the car - provided info on E-check, person went to cash said E-check... You can guess what happens.

In fact the way some of the messages are worded = DEFINTE SCAM. Check this link out of the recent Craigslist auto scams

http://baheyeldin.com/technology/technolog...cam.html?page=3

Bikeman982

Definitely scams. Don't ever sell anything without the check clearing a bank first.

There are hundreds (maybe thousands?) of scam artists out there who print fake checks.

Some send you good amounts and want change from you (but checks are bad).

You lose what you send back to them.

Out of state payers are a joke.

Tell them they don't get anything unless the check is good and clears the bank.

If you get a check - take it to a bank and verify if good or bad - they can make a call and do a verification.

I got a check once and called the bank - no such account - fake check.

The scam artist never replied to me again.

Scam.....I use it quite often but I state in the ad that I won't even reply if they don't supply me with a phone number.

Jay in MA

Definitely scams. Don't ever sell anything without the check clearing a bank first.There are hundreds (maybe thousands?) of scam artists out there who print fake checks.

If you get a check - take it to a bank and verify if good or bad - they can make a call and do a verification.

Here's a sample of what I've seen recently....

Start at the bottom and read up.

I also had some new cell phones that my daughter won in a scam that TMobile was running. One guy wouldn't leave a phone number because he was deaf ?????????????????

I have a ll of this put together because I had sent an email back to "one of them" asking what his name really was.

From Yang Lei January 30, 2008/30

Hello,

Saw your item posted at CL for sale,I am interested in buying,Get back to me with the

price and probably with the recent pics....................Wait to read from you soon.

Care2 make the world greener!

http://toolbar.Care2.com Make your computer carbon-neutral (free).

http://www.Care2.com Green Living, Human Rights and more - 7 million members!

================================================================================

========================================

From Yang Bin Tue, Jan 22, 2008 05:29 PM

Good, I'll send a Certified bank check via my bank to cover the cost as am satisfied with what have seen so far, anyways i'll not be available for the pick-up due to much engagement with me this season, but my intention is to hire a mover to pick it up, hence I will need the details of whom & where to mail the Certified bank check.It will be delivered by the United Parcel Service within 2-3 days. Please note 'ups' do not deliver to P.O.Box addresses

1.Name to be on the check

2.Home address

3.Telephone

Kindly delete the posting as am totally committed to buying from you to save me cost.Regards

================================================================================

Reply from me to Yang Bin Tue, Jan 22, 2008 12:34 PM

Hello,

All of the information you seek is in the ad.

From Feng Ianucilli Tue, Jan 22, 2008 12:40 PM

Hello,

Saw your item posted at CL for sale,I am interested in buying,Get back to me with the price and probably with the recent pics....................Wait to read from you soon.

http://toolbar.Care2.com Make your computer carbon-neutral (free).

http://www.Care2.com Green Living, Human Rights and more - 7 million members!

From Yang Bin Tue, Jan 22, 2008 12:28 PM

Hello,

Saw your advert for your item for sale,I am interested in buying,Get back to me with the price and probably with the recent pics....................Wait to read from you soon.

Comment from me Fri, Jan 18, 2008 07:25 AM

I guess you're not REALLY interested Jim........

Jay

Reply from me Wed, Jan 16, 2008 06:48 AM

Hi Jim,

Sounds good. This hutch has brought a good deal of interest.

Please give me a phone number where I can contact you and we can begin the transaction as

you have suggested.

Thanks,

Jay

From Jim Taker Wed, Jan 16, 2008 05:55 AM

Hello... I really appreciate your response to my mail.I want you to consider it sold, pls do withdraw the advert from craigslist to avoid disturbance.I want you to know that i will be paying via bank certified check .I will need you to provide me with the following information to facilitate the mailing of the check .

1.....Full name to write on the check

2.....Full Physical address to post the check

3.....Home & Cell Phone to contact you

**I will like you to know that you will not be responsible for shipping i will have my mover come over as soon as you have cashed the check** Thanks

Reply from me Tue, Jan 15, 2008 11:38 AM

Hi Jim,

Yes it is still available.

Thanks,

Jay

Initial response for hutch ad

Am Jim Taker ,i saw your Ad and will like to know if its still available for sale,get back to me asap.

Regards

Scam.....I use it quite often but I state in the ad that I won't even reply if they don't supply me with a phone number.

Jay in MA

Definitely scams. Don't ever sell anything without the check clearing a bank first.There are hundreds (maybe thousands?) of scam artists out there who print fake checks.

Bikeman982

I have talked to some scam artists on the phone.

Everything will seem legitimate - until you try to cash the check - it will bounce like a rubber ball.

Whatever you do - do not deliver any merchandise or item for sale, until any check you get has successfully cleared the bank!!

Anything less means - you lose!!

In my case I'm not sure what they were trying to get. I was to wait for the cash to get into my pocket prior to him taking the product.

As far as information...the only thing that is not public record is my cell phone number.

Jay in MA

Bikeman982

In my case I'm not sure what they were trying to get. I was to wait for the cash to get into my pocket prior to him taking the product.

As far as information...the only thing that is not public record is my cell phone number.

Jay in MA

That almost sounds legitimate - cash for a product.

If it was anything else, such as a check for the product - beware.

I sold a camera on craigslist to an out of province guy not too long ago. I demanded a money order (postal ones are fine).

It's near xmas and he wants it in a hurry so he sent it express.

It's near xmas so the money order express reached me late and didn't meet Canada Post's delivery standard, and apparently he didn't know he can claim a refund for guarantee not met. default_laugh

All is well, because I always demanded a money order up front.

Bikeman982

I sold a camera on craigslist to an out of province guy not too long ago. I demanded a money order (postal ones are fine).

It's near xmas so the money order express reached me late and didn't meet Canada Post's delivery standard, and apparently he didn't know he can claim a refund for guarantee not met. default_laugh

Make sure the money order is legitimate before you send any merchandise.

There are people that forge checks (and maybe even money orders, including postal).

Did you send him the camera??

I've heard that even some of the banks were fooled by the counterfeit checks and money orders.

There are people that forge checks (and maybe even money orders, including postal).

Bikeman982

I've heard that even some of the banks were fooled by the counterfeit checks and money orders.

The appearance makes them look almost genuine.

I had people from Nigeria email me when I tried to sell my car in craigslist. (Used the headers to find the IP in Nigeria.) Same deal, saying check will arrive and a shipper will take the car. I continued with the conversation to see what kind of (fake) check would arrive. Sent my address at work with misspellings on my last name. But no check came. hehe.

You can almost tell by the wording that it is a Nigerian scam. I think the last scammer was a Nigerian using Asian names.

Now I'm very direct in my ads as to how I will do the transaction. No phone number ...no reply.... PERIOD. I also include an apology to the normal people about how the ad is worded.

Seems to be working so far.....

I had people from Nigeria email me when I tried to sell my car in craigslist. (Used the headers to find the IP in Nigeria.) Same deal, saying check will arrive and a shipper will take the car. I continued with the conversation to see what kind of (fake) check would arrive. Sent my address at work with misspellings on my last name. But no check came. hehe.

I wouldnt even accept a personal check. Generally in private sales, cashier's check is the method of sale 99% of the time, unless the car is extremely low in price, where cash would be acceptable. Because a certified/cashier's check is backed by the bank and not the individual's credit, you can be assured its not going to bounce. Think about it; you dont want to be sitting around for 7-10 days waiting for this guy's check to clear all the while other perspective buyers are being turned away.

If this guy is truly interested in the car, tell him you will only take cashier's checks. If he wants to pay with cash, definately check it with a counterfeit pen.

Bikeman982

I have been looking at the later model Corollas, especially the "S" model.

The slots on the bumper that I am selling is for the lower piece that attaches to the bumper.

I had no idea until I saw one with the buper and the piece that was attached.

There is one for both sides of the front bumper.

Anyone interested in purchasing?? It is still for sale, as well as hood, fenders and wheel well liner.

I have been looking at the later model Corollas, especially the "S" model.The slots on the bumper that I am selling is for the lower piece that attaches to the bumper.

Anyone interested in purchasing?? It is still for sale, as well as hood, fenders and wheel well liner.

do you have pics?

Bikeman982

I have been looking at the later model Corollas, especially the "S" model.The slots on the bumper that I am selling is for the lower piece that attaches to the bumper.

do you have pics?

The pics are on craigs list -

I didn't know the way the bumper went and took pictures of it upside-down.

do you have pics?

Is this for an 01 or 02 corolla?

do you have pics?

Is this for an 01 or 02 corolla?

Is it just me, or are these actually for a gen 9?

Topic List: Go to Everything Else