Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By smittay17, December 23, 2007

See every reply in these pages:

**NEED HELP - Serpentine Belt is Screwed up by Toyota on 2003 Corolla

>>>>hey i need your guys help so i can have some peace at xmas!! default_smile

i brought my 03 corolla into ira toyota in danvers because it sounded like a belt was squealing at my 45,000 appt about a month ago

they told me later that day that i needed a new serpentine belt because it was squealing ... i said, can it wait a month, they said sure, but if it gets worse bring it in right away - i dont know much about cars

so a month later (friday dec 21) i took it in to toyota because the squealing started happening more and was louder

i said are you sure its the serpentine belt making that noise?? can i have a tech go with me to listen? could it be something else? and they said NO that they were too busy that day for that.

so i pick my car up friday night, not only is it shaking a lot (the dash, drivers door) it makes a loud squeak when i turn it on initially after being off for a couple of hours!! they were closed so i couldnt do anything.

BUT HERES THE BIGGIE: to make matters worse, when i picked my wife up about 1/2 hour later, i had the car in Drive and my foot on the brake, waiting for her and the same daggone squealing started again and even worse!!!! they didn't fix the problem!

what could it possibly be? when i put the car into Park the squealing stops. and if i turn the wheel, while in drive (car non-moving) the squaling stops momentarily, then kicks up again! did they not need to replace the serpentine belt? did they fix the wrong thing or mis diagnose it? are there adjustments that can be made to the serpentine belt that i'm not aware of??

again, i dont know anything about cars. is it another belt? is it a fan belt or an alternator belt? do corollas even have other belts?

im all upset cause i have to do extensive driving the next couple of days for xmas with my wife and family and dont want the car to break down or get worse. thats why i brought it into Toyota in the first place. so we could be safe and enjoy my first week off in over 8 months, now this.

so if any of you could help me out, that would be great, so i will know what im talking about when i go into them next tomorrow.

i mean, should they even have replaced the serpentine belt if that didn't solve the squealing noise at all?? what would you guys do? i appreciate any insight as i don't know much about cars. i just hope its not an expensive problem... I feel like i got ripped off and i already paid around $150 for them to replace the serpentine belt.

Thanks so much in advance,

Erik

********************UPDATE - Jan. 7th *****************************

So i took everyone's advice and called corporate toyota and they actually made a special provision for me to get a new tensioner for my 03 corolla outside of the 3 year, 36,000 mile warranty.

BUT... its still making the sqeaking/squealing noise as described above!! what the heck can it be ???

i have an appt. with them tues morning tomorrow and i need your guys adivce and help once again...

- this squeaking/squealing is only apparent AFTER driving for 5-10 minutes.

- it is ONLY when the car is in DRIVE with the brakes on

- i have to have the door open to hear it

- it squeals and the dashboard shakes

- it goes away when i put it in PARK

- it will stop temporarily when i turn the steering wheel

- and is DIRECTLY related to when i put the brakes on in DRIVE,

- in DRIVE without brakes = no noise

ANY IDEAS? i have an appt. with toyota tomorrow. Jan. 8th - they changed the serpentine belt, gave me a new tensioner for my 03 corolla, they cleaned my brakes... what could it be??

what do you guys think?

thanks so much again - i really really appreciate all your help!!!! default_smile

erik

sounds like it could be a PS pump problem, check that theres fluid in the system. the pump could be seizing intermittently, if it were then the fluid would probably have metal in it.

could be a different accessory causing the problem as well. their repairs should come with a warranty, take it back till they fix it correctly.

sounds like it could be a PS pump problem, check that theres fluid in the system. the pump could be seizing intermittently, if it were then the fluid would probably have metal in it.

could be a different accessory causing the problem as well. their repairs should come with a warranty, take it back till they fix it correctly.

thanks man... whats PS stand for? where should i check for the fluid? sorry, if it sounds dumb, i just dont know about cars...

and yeah, i took it to them to fix the noise, they didn't fix it, so they should in theory, right ??

thanks again

Max

PS = power steering. Yes indeed, work by Toyota dealers is under warranty in most places. Make 'em fix it.

Bikeman982

Don't settle until all the squeeling is gone.

It does sound like power steering - either belt or fluid low in the pump.

The worst that could happen is that the belt will break and if it is power steering belt - no power steering.

If it is the other belt that goes around alternator, A/C pump and crankshaft pulleys - the A/C will not work, the battery will not get charged and eventually the car will stall and die.

If you have any friends that work on cars - have them take a look at it.

It is fairly easy to change either belts and also to check the fluid levels.

Do that before you take your trip!!

Don't settle until all the squeeling is gone.It does sound like power steering - either belt or fluid low in the pump.

The worst that could happen is that the belt will break and if it is power steering belt - no power steering.

If it is the other belt that goes around alternator, A/C pump and crankshaft pulleys - the A/C will not work, the battery will not get charged and eventually the car will stall and die.

thanks man! sounds like it could be the power steering - one of my friends mentioned it could be the tensioner of the serpentine belt... does that make any sense??

Bikeman982

Don't settle until all the squeeling is gone.It does sound like power steering - either belt or fluid low in the pump.

thanks man! sounds like it could be the power steering - one of my friends mentioned it could be the tensioner of the serpentine belt... does that make any sense??

Tensioner can be adjusted so that the belt is either tight or loose.

Too much either way can cause it to make noise.

It is possible to adjust it to get proper belt tension.

Do the easiest first - check power steering fluid, feel (or use tensiometer) on belts, adjust if needed.

You may have to replace the belts if they are damaged or worn too much.

Hope this helps.

Do the easiest first - check power steering fluid, feel (or use tensiometer) on belts, adjust if needed.

Hope this helps.

Tensioner part on 03 is trouble prone. A new part is available to stop the squealing and there is a technical service bulletin giving the proper part number to your dealer.

Covered on extended warranty if you have one.

The serp belt and tensioner have been a major problem. I changed belt 3 times in 50K miles but squeal came back on damp mornings.

Get dealer to check belt tensioner assembly.

EG021-07 is the Technical Service Bulletin for the 9th gen Corolla belt tensioner noises. You may be able to get it through your local public library since they normally have access to one of the auto repair databases. That's where I got mine.

The new tensioner is part no 16620-22013, compared to the old one which was 16620-22012. The TSB is from April 2007, so aftermarket parts may not have the design changes yet.

I need to do mine still. Anybody got any recommendations on aftermarket tensioners or the best place to get a Toyota one?

EG021-07 is the Technical Service Bulletin for the 9th gen Corolla belt tensioner noises. You may be able to get it through your local public library since they normally have access to one of the auto repair databases. That's where I got mine.

The new tensioner is part no 16620-22013, compared to the old one which was 16620-22012. The TSB is from April 2007, so aftermarket parts may not have the design changes yet.

I need to do mine still. Anybody got any recommendations on aftermarket tensioners or the best place to get a Toyota one?

www.1sttoyotaparts.com discounts 25% or so. No tax except to WA. I've used them quite a few times with great service.

You can call on their 800# - see site.

Hope this helps.

I was under the impression that the tensioner was self adjusting, thus you can not adjust it. Isn't there just one belt that drives everything, not 2 belts?

Bikeman982

Hope this helps.

I was under the impression that the tensioner was self adjusting, thus you can not adjust it. Isn't there just one belt that drives everything, not 2 belts?

I don't have a 2003, so someone more familiar with your generataion model will have to give you the specifics.

I know on earler models the tensioner is adjustable and there are more than one belt.

Hope this helps.

I don't have a 2003, so someone more familiar with your generataion model will have to give you the specifics.

I know on earler models the tensioner is adjustable and there are more than one belt.

One belt - self-adjusting by means of the tensioner.

Tensioner had issues and was finally improved. Be sure to get the new part.

Hope this helps.

One belt - self-adjusting by means of the tensioner.

Tensioner had issues and was finally improved. Be sure to get the new part.

So the power steering pump is ruled out? Could it really make the car shake bad if it was faulty?

Belt tensioner became a problem since 1998 model. Some folks went through 2nd tensioner. Toyota must drop the price on the tensioner

What ever noise you have under the hood - 90% chance iti is tensioner related.

hey guys thanks a lot for all your help, my appointment wound up being canceled by a snow storm last week, but I just got off the phone with IRA Toyota in Danvers about my Tensioner and Serpentine Belt. I also talked to my father in law at Christmas and he said that you messageboard guys are really smart and that it is the tensioner.

so toyota would not confirm that there was a "tensioner problem" but did ironically enough give me the newer tensioner model number that just came out this year (the 16620-22013) that someone posted on here for repair and they have it in stock at the dealership. what are the chances of that coincidence?

i looked so smart thanks to you guys! the guy was like, "how do you know the 03 and 04 corolla's tensior belts were faulty??" and i was like, "i have friends in high place that look out for me default_smile " - so thanks!

i can't get an appointment until friday january 4th at 8am, should i have them check the tensioner to see if it even needs to be replaced? someone mentioned that, but at this point in the game, we already established the 2003 has a faulty tensioner, you guys gave me the replacement part number that was the same with toyota's. it seems it needs to be replaced to me - what do you guys think?

so the part is $167 from them + labor. i wish this was covered under a warranty... someone said it was under an extended warranty? how can i tell if i have one of those? i might call toyota corporate and see if they can pull some strings.

thanks guys again, couldnt have dont it without your help default_smile, just let me know what you think i should do next!!

thanks so much,

erik

Max

You'd know if you have an extended warranty. You would have purchased it from the dealer when you bought the car (if you bought it new), or from an outside party afterward. Still, your powertrain warranty is 5 years/60,000 miles, so if you are still under that, you might argue that they replace the tensioner under that warranty. It's unlikely, but worth a try.

You'd know if you have an extended warranty. You would have purchased it from the dealer when you bought the car (if you bought it new), or from an outside party afterward. Still, your powertrain warranty is 5 years/60,000 miles, so if you are still under that, you might argue that they replace the tensioner under that warranty. It's unlikely, but worth a try.

yeah i talked to toyota corporate in CA and they said 3 years or 36,000 miles

i explained that the car in need of the tensioner was a *replacement* for my perfectly cared for corolla that the dealer TOTALLED on their dealership lot by accident during a faulty repair job. she was much more interested in helping me like toyota then...

she is writing a letter to the customer relations manager at the dealership requesting them to give me the $167 tensioner and labor for free since they totalled my car and I've only had this inferior replacement for 1.5 years, 27,000 miles, a far cry from the 36,000/ 3 year warranty.

hope it works out default_smile

1sttoyotaparts.com is asking $120.11 for the new model tensioner, and that is before shipping. That is a bit steep compared to the Dayco unit available at numerous local places for about $50. Although it would be nicer to get the updated Toyota design, I'm having a hard time paying more than double for it. Heck, my original defective-design tensioner lasted almost five years before making an occasional rattling noise. I could buy 10 years worth of Dayco tensioners for less than the Toyota cost. (And that is assuming that the Dayco design is equivalently defective to the OEM Toyota.)

It looks like installation is not that difficult, unless I can find a cheaper Toyota dealer, I'm just going to go with aftermarket and assume I'll have to replace it again in 2013.

We were under the hood of our 05 and we sourced our sound coming from a idler pulley under the alt. I'll call Toyota and see if they can help us with that TSB cause ours was already fixed under warranty.

********************UPDATE - Jan. 7th *****************************

So i took everyone's advice and called corporate toyota and they actually made a special provision for me to get a new tensioner for my 03 corolla outside of the 3 year, 36,000 mile warranty.

BUT... its still making the sqeaking/squealing noise as described above!! what the heck can it be ???

i have an appt. with them tues morning tomorrow and i need your guys adivce and help once again...

- this squeaking/squealing is only apparent AFTER driving for 5-10 minutes.

- it is ONLY when the car is in DRIVE with the brakes on

- i have to have the door open to hear it

- it squeals and the dashboard shakes

- it goes away when i put it in PARK

- it will stop temporarily when i turn the steering wheel

- and is DIRECTLY related to when i put the brakes on in DRIVE,

- in DRIVE without brakes = no noise

ANY IDEAS? i have an appt. with toyota tomorrow. Jan. 8th - they changed the serpentine belt, gave me a new tensioner for my 03 corolla, they cleaned my brakes... what could it be??

what do you guys think?

thanks so much again - i really really appreciate all your help!!!! default_smile

erik

Bikeman982

Seems like this thread has all the information for you to go to the dealer and get the TSB update for your car.

Seems like this thread has all the information for you to go to the dealer and get the TSB update for your car.

do you mean the TSB update for the tensioner? cause that's what i did and they gave me the new tensioner part..

or is there another TSB update (i don't know what that means - is there one overall for the car or were you talking about the TSB for the tensioner?)

thanks

erik

Bikeman982

do you mean the TSB update for the tensioner? cause that's what i did and they gave me the new tensioner part..

or is there another TSB update (i don't know what that means - is there one overall for the car or were you talking about the TSB for the tensioner?)

thanks

erik

I was talking about the TSB for the tensioner that sounds like you already had done.

If it is still making noise I would think it would be their responsibility to replace it again.

The tensioner would make noise if the bearings in it are worn or bad and replacing it might get you a good one that is quiet.

It sounds strange that it only makes noise when you are on the brakes, but it could be vaguely related.

thanks

erik

I was talking about the TSB for the tensioner that sounds like you already had done.

If it is still making noise I would think it would be their responsibility to replace it again.

The tensioner would make noise if the bearings in it are worn or bad and replacing it might get you a good one that is quiet.

It sounds strange that it only makes noise when you are on the brakes, but it could be vaguely related.

Mine would act up in damp or humid weather when the car was first started. Would then go away.

New tensioner fixed it. Three previous belts in 50K miles didn't.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)