Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Corolla 1.8 Auto

by derfla, December 20, 2007

Hi all....my previous car was V8..could members give me a realistic cruise speed for corolla 06 ..1.8 auto..i run it on mobil 1 and do frequent round trips of 2000klm /1200 miles... generally run at 110klm/70mph....dont want to harm the little car...........thanks for your help

Bikeman982

That would be an easy cruise speed for the Corolla as well.

K_Watson

Is it a 3 speed auto or is it a 4 speed auto? (4 speeds have overdrive)

My 3 speed seems happy cruising around 60 to 70. A 4 speed would probably still be happy up to 75, but I can't say for sure since I have never driven a 4 speed Corolla. I can say that my 3 speed is great in the city and on short mid-speed highway trips. Having driven a V6 equipped car before this one I must say the low speed power is impressive for an engine of this size, and the gas mileage is very good, however the performance and gas mileage falls off sharply over 70.

Is it a 3 speed auto or is it a 4 speed auto? (4 speeds have overdrive)

My 3 speed seems happy cruising around 60 to 70. A 4 speed would probably still be happy up to 75, but I can't say for sure since I have never driven a 4 speed Corolla. I can say that my 3 speed is great in the city and on short mid-speed highway trips. Having driven a V6 equipped car before this one I must say the low speed power is impressive for an engine of this size, and the gas mileage is very good, however the performance and gas mileage falls off sharply over 70.

thanks its a 4 speed

Bikeman982

A 3-speed can also maintain those speeds, although the transaxle seems to make more noise.

The 3-speed with overdrive (4-speed) is a little quieter and also a little better on gas.

mine seems to settle about 70-80, depends how nice the day is and how straight the road is default_wink sometimes it settles a little closer to 3000 rpm.

K_Watson

Yes I know I can maintain over 70. On long drives I cruise around 80 and the car doesn't seem to mind except for the reduced gas mileage and increased oil usage.

Hi all....my previous car was V8..could members give me a realistic cruise speed for corolla 06 ..1.8 auto..i run it on mobil 1 and do frequent round trips of 2000klm /1200 miles... generally run at 110klm/70mph....dont want to harm the little car...........thanks for your help
Driving faster than 110 kph wont really harm your car, just reduce fuel efficiency. Wear-and-tear has more to do with how fast your engine is running at the crank (revolutions per minute). With an manual tranny, its possible to drive at a lower gear and keep your engine running in a dangerously high rpm. With an automatic, you much less likely to destroy the engine, especially since Toyota is known for being overly conservative with its shifting on auto trannys.

My 98' Corolla 4-spd is almost the same as yours (same engine and tranny, but no vvt-i on mine). At 110 kph (about 68 mph) my car usually settles at about 2100 rpm. Normally I drive at 60-65 mph (97-105 kph) on the highways because its the most fuel efficient speed. One time I was in a rush to my sister's house and I was cruising at about 85 mph (137 kph). Even at that speed, my car didn't go over 2500 rpm, though I'm sure my fuel efficiency was probably half as good though. Th engine doesn't start to get loud until you pass 3000 rpms. By that point, I'm going well over 90 mph (145 kph).

Bikeman982

The car is meant to drive at legal highway speeds.

At excessive speeds there is more noise and also more gas burned.

You should have no problem - even though it is just a 4 cyclinder.

The car is meant to drive at legal highway speeds.At excessive speeds there is more noise and also more gas burned.

You should have no problem - even though it is just a 4 cyclinder.

Thanks for you help...

Bikeman982

I used to drive 8 and 6 cylinder cars and vans and wondered how the 4 cylinder could ever have any power or last for very long.

After fuel injection came about, they had some good power and they are also made well enough to last.

Now, little 4 cylinder cars can go 300-400K miles without too much trouble.

Guest 5 Speed 2007 S

Driving faster than 110 kph wont really harm your car, just reduce fuel efficiency. Wear-and-tear has more to do with how fast your engine is running at the crank (revolutions per minute). With an manual tranny, its possible to drive at a lower gear and keep your engine running in a dangerously high rpm. With an automatic, you much less likely to destroy the engine, especially since Toyota is known for being overly conservative with its shifting on auto trannys.

My 98' Corolla 4-spd is almost the same as yours (same engine and tranny, but no vvt-i on mine). At 110 kph (about 68 mph) my car usually settles at about 2100 rpm. Normally I drive at 60-65 mph (97-105 kph) on the highways because its the most fuel efficient speed. One time I was in a rush to my sister's house and I was cruising at about 85 mph (137 kph). Even at that speed, my car didn't go over 2500 rpm, though I'm sure my fuel efficiency was probably half as good though. Th engine doesn't start to get loud until you pass 3000 rpms. By that point, I'm going well over 90 mph (145 kph).

wow those rpms are quite a bit lower than mine and my moms "old" LE with my 5 speed at 75 im right at 3K, with the old auto LE 2800 at 75...

my car is a city car, not much freeway but she happily cruises at 75+ i drove home from San Diego and had the cruise set to 75 the whole way and she got 36 mpg....not too shabby for 3000 rpms a/c full blast and both my mom and i in the car...

Topic List