Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Corolla Problems

by Phoenix, December 13, 2007

my car jus today i stoped at a stop sign and i lost power steering and my e brake light came on and the battery light. it eventually came back but as i pulled backinto school everything worked again but now my brake lights stayed on. my question to everyone is wat could be wrong and could it be expensive. Your time amd help will be appreciated.

Need a bit more info - what year Corolla are we talking about?

Anything else seemed to go out at that time - was the engine still running well, or did it start to stall, shudder, etc?

What is the maintenance history or any recent work done to the car prior to this event?

my car jus today i stoped at a stop sign

Did the engine shut off and you had to restart it?

lost power steering

This would suggest that the engine stalled

e brake light came on and the battery light

Are you sure it was the E-brake light? If in fact the engine stalled, the battery light would light and a host of other lights as well.....oil, check engine etc. I don't think the ebrake light would light except if you were restarting the engine and then it would be part of the bulb test.

it eventually came back but as i pulled backinto school everything worked again

but now my brake lights stayed on.

E-brake light or actual brake lights at the rear of the car?

my car jus today i stoped at a stop sign and i lost power steering and my e brake light came on and the battery light. it eventually came back but as i pulled backinto school everything worked again but now my brake lights stayed on. my question to everyone is wat could be wrong and could it be expensive. Your time amd help will be appreciated.

its a 1989 toyota corolla le....um it wasnt stalled it was like i did but all the lights didnt come on but yes it still was on and it was the brake light in the dash that lets you know that ur ebrakes up it went back to normal but now my brake lights stay on

The same light might be used by the hydraulic brake system also. This would be warning you that a pressure imbalance was detected between the front brake system and the rear......usually a leaking wheel cylinder, flexible brake hose or hard brake line. A faulty master cylinder or the pressure switch itself can also cause this. It's also possible that the e-brake switch itself is defective.

I'm having trouble making any of the symptoms fit one specific problem though.

Do your brakes feel normal....high pedal?

This might sound silly but all I can picture is a brake line blowing hydraulic brake fluid all over your belts. This would cause slippage and you would experience temporary loss of power steering and possibly a no-charge condition from your alternator.

Puzzled........

Jay in MA

its a 1989 toyota corolla le....um it wasnt stalled it was like i did but all the lights didnt come on but yes it still was on and it was the brake light in the dash that lets you know that ur ebrakes up it went back to normal but now my brake lights stay on

my brakes feel normal except if i pump them they get hard faster than normal

Most power brake systems don't really have a noticeable change in feeling if you pump them before stopping or not. I'm assuming you have power brakes (vacuum assisted).

Could very well be leaky wheel cylinder (drum brakes), leaky or balloned brake hardlines or flexible rubber lines, bad master cylinder, low brake fluid, contaminated brake fluid, etc. May also be a combination of problems, like TRCar54 is hinting at, hard to say without more information. If the car has not been serviced or tuned up on a regular basis, especially brake fluid and powersteering fluid exhanges/flushes, done on a regular basis - now might be a good time to do them. Can prevent a smaller problem from growing into a much larger (read more expensive) problem down the road.

Bikeman982

Sixth generation Corolla.

The car does not have to go into a complete stall to loose power (including steering) and the dash lights to come on.

It could have been a misfiring of the engine causing a near-stall condition.

I suggest you check your spark plugs, plug wires, and distributor.

Hope this helps.

Topic List