Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Check These Out -

By Bikeman982, December 9, 2007

See every reply in these pages:

Bikeman982

This is my driveway -

Bikeman982

No comments from the 7th generation haters or the Tercel lovers?

That's a whole mess of Corollas - the Tercel is definitely outnumbered.

Bikeman982

That's a whole mess of Corollas - the Tercel is definitely outnumbered.
She is a non-convert (my younger daughter).

I tried to get her to switch to Corolla, but she enjoys the Tercel too much.

Maybe her next car will be a Corolla?

Fortunately a couple of people in my town have purchased my old project cars and I see them driving around.

I have one in the garage and that will either become my daily driver and I will sell my current car,

or I will sell it and keep driving the one I have now. It is a good car and very reliable.

Tell your daughter the corolla is faster lol

Bikeman982

Tell your daughter the corolla is faster lol
You haven't seen my daughter drive!!

Bikeman982

Current pictures -

The tan one is 1993, the green one is 1994, the white one is 1995, and there is the 1997 in the garage - currently under repair.

The grey one on the left is my son's car.

Great pictures,

I wish I was your neighbour I would be over all the time trying to learn and assist, if it was ok with you!!

Dont see too many Tercel's here in Canada anymore, they were very popular in the mid 80's to mid 90's. The oldest model of Corolla you are likely to see here in the Toronto area is a mid 90's or so. The older ones have been eaten by rust.

A friend of mine had a early 80's Tercel SR5, was a great car, and my first new Toyota was a 82 Corolla SR5 coupe, still wish I had it.....

Great pictures,

I wish I was your neighbour I would be over all the time trying to learn and assist, if it was ok with you!!

Dont see too many Tercel's here in Canada anymore, they were very popular in the mid 80's to mid 90's. The oldest model of Corolla you are likely to see here in the Toronto area is a mid 90's or so. The older ones have been eaten by rust.

A friend of mine had a early 80's Tercel SR5, was a great car, and my first new Toyota was a 82 Corolla SR5 coupe, still wish I had it.....

Tercel was basic transportation but ran forever.

Bikeman982

Great pictures,

Thanks,

Anyone who has an interest is welcome to come over and learn and assist.

If you are in the neighbourhood - stop by.

I see a lot of Tercels in my area, but I am more interested in the Corollas.

Not much rust in this part of the country.

Great pictures,

Thanks,

Anyone who has an interest is welcome to come over and learn and assist.

If you are in the neighbourhood - stop by.

I see a lot of Tercels in my area, but I am more interested in the Corollas.

Not much rust in this part of the country.

Wow...do those even have airbags in 'em? LOL

I think this is kind of cool, really - it's like a foster home for abused Corollas, you give them new purpose and a place in society! The kind of home my 8th gen needs to go to...

Bikeman982

Some people "flip" houses - I "flip" 7th generation Corollas.

I get them cheap and get parts from everywhere to put them back to stock condition,

Then I drive, or sell them.

I like the 1993-1997 body style and also the ease (after trial and error) of maintenance.

I have learned quite a bit about them and know more than the average person, when it comes to repair.

Someday, I may move on to something else, but now it seems like a good hobby.

It keeps me off the street corners and also out of the clubs/bars.

I am working on two right now - one for myself, the other is a neighbors.

There are people who will buy the Corollas because they are good on gas and because they are reliable/dependable.

Hope that answers the questions.

Bikeman982

Here's some pictures of todays cars. -

Bikeman982

The 1997 has gone back to its owner.

The 1995 is my latest project car and is being repaired.

I need to change the starter and fix a power steering fluid leak.

More to follow.

Bikeman982

Today I took out the starter on the 1995 and took it and another to Kragen Auto Parts to be tested.

They both tested good on their machine.

I took the other one and installed it in the car and it failed to work.

It was similar to the old one - just rotated the engine and then started clicking.

After that - dead. I put the battery on a charger and will see about trying a different starter.

More to follow

Bikeman982

Turned out to be a bad battery.

Here are pictures of the latest car.

Guest Melissa

I love this thread so much I just had to register to tell you that. My first and only car is a 1994 standard Toyota Corolla - still has the original white paint job. I purchased it in February 2001 with 76k miles on it for $4800.00 from a private seller. Put 500 dollars into it mechanically when I first got it and it has gone with me throughout 5 different states. I averaged out how much money I put into it each year since I purchased it, including replacing the speakers, a new timing belt and other assorted stuff when I first got it, tinting the windows, having to buy new hubcaps because the original ones were stolen when I was at college, oil changes, etc... and I've averaged $314.00 into it each year for 7 years. I haven't had to put much money into it mechanically... that $314.00 even includes new tires!

I love my car and I love looking at other 7th generation Corollas. People always ask me why I just don't buy a new car since I've had it for so long and it's been my only car. Why should I? It's been super reliable and gets me from point A to point B. And I've never had car payments!!! I will never own any other car other than a Toyota, and I imagine that someday I might get another Corolla.

The main concern I have now in regards to my car is the rust. I live in FL so it isn't too bad... but there is a spot on the top of the car that is about the size of a pencil eraser of rust... if anyone has any ideas as to how to keep the rust at bay that isn't too much work or too expensive... let me know because I want to keep my car as "healthy" as possible for years to come!!! I don't have a garage... Other than that, the window crank on the passenger's side fell off, but I just keep it in the glove compartment box... I don't really ever have many passengers in the car and it's kind of funny when they go to open the window and realize they can't and I tell them "oh yeah just open up the glove compartment box..." haha. default_biggrin

Even with the tiny rust spot at the top... and a little nick here and there... the car still looks as nice as it did when I bought it a little more than 7 years ago. Sorry for the rambling, but it's funny how some people feel about their cars and how excited they get when they see other cars just like theirs... hehe. default_smile

Hello and welcome to the forum. The key in keeping rust at bay is to prevent it from happening in the first place (wash, wax, seal, etc.) - take a peek at our section on Appearance - lots of tips on what people like to use on their cars. If rust does happen to pop up some place - then getting to it ASAP is the next best thing. Since the rust spot is so small - try to remove as much of the surface corrosion as possible. They make special "pens" that erase rust and prep the area for touch-up paint. Should be found at most auto retailers. Another option is to use some fine sandpaper and carefully sand the rust away. Clean the area well with alcohol or similar, to remove any leftover particles/contaminants, and cover up the spot with some touch up paint. Wait a few weeks for the area to completely cure before you try to polish, wax and seal that area.

Bikeman982

Welcome Melissa.

How many miles on the car now??

Do you want to know how to put the handle back on so it stays there??

I now have a 1994, 1995 and 1997.

The 7th generation Corollas rock!!

No comments from the 7th generation haters or the Tercel lovers?

I think that the term "hater" might be a little too over the top, here........

7th generation Corollas are good-looking and very, very reliable cars, without a doubt and I know that you (Bikeman) are extremely found of these Corollas. But, you have to keep in mind that 7th gens are at least 11 years old and most of them are starting to rack up some serious miles, not to mention the fact that most of us aren't lucky enough to live in a climate where the bodies can remain rust-free indefinitely!!! Eventually, they too, will become as rare of a sight on the roads as a Chevy Citation, Ford Pinto, Datsun B210, Dodge Omni, etc. etc........

I must admit I do admire your commitment to keeping 7th gen Corollas on the road, though......

I am a proud owner of an 8th gen Corolla, but, I wouldn't hesitate for one moment to buy a nicely maintained 7th gen Corolla, if the situation presented itself.....

Come to think of it, my family actually DOES have a 7th gen Corolla, just that it's a Prizm instead. Since it's a '97, that would mean that it's a 2nd generation Prizm......(if you don't count the '85-'88 Novas, that is....)

Anyway, like I said, the term "hater" may be a little too strong, here. Just because some of us have 8th, 9th, and soon, 10th gen Corollas, doesn't necessarily mean we are 7th gen "haters".

In Corolland, ALL Corollas are loved!!!!!!!

By the way, best of luck with your new project car, Bikeman!!!

Regards,

timkedz

Guest Melissa

Welcome Melissa.How many miles on the car now??

Thanks! 7th generation Corollas definitely do rock!!!!

I just got to 126k miles on it... that includes driving it up to and throughout northern Georgia from southern Florida, through Alabama, Mississippi, to southern Louisiana, trips between Tampa & Miami... a job that was about 15 miles from home. How I managed to only put 50k on it in 7 years with all that driving... don't really know, but I'm not complaining.

Well, I'd love to know how to put the window crank back on so it stays there. It is missing that little metal clip that goes inside. I didn't realize when it came off that the metal clip laying on my floorboard of the car was from the window crank and I threw it out default_ohmy If you can help me that would be great, don't mean to hijack the thread though.

Oh and fishexpo - thanks for the advice! I spent a good amount of time browsing the forums and getting some ideas. I gave the car a really good bath & wax (detailed the inside too) after posting about the rust... a lot of the rust came off and it doesn't look as bad as it did before I took alcohol to the rust... but I'm going to be sanding down the rust in a few weeks, treating the metal, priming it, and touching it up with some Super White paint... I imagine I'll end up getting it repainted soon enough... the same color, a good paint job and will keep up with keeping it clean and frequent waxing.

I want to see more pics of 7th generation Corollas!!! I actually get excited everytime I see them (whether on the road or online) and look them up on Ebay and Craigslist all the time... I wish I had extra cash to burn because I want them all...

Bikeman982

Welcome Melissa.How many miles on the car now??

Thanks! 7th generation Corollas definitely do rock!!!!

I just got to 126k miles on it... that includes driving it up to and throughout northern Georgia from southern Florida, through Alabama, Mississippi, to southern Louisiana, trips between Tampa & Miami... a job that was about 15 miles from home. How I managed to only put 50k on it in 7 years with all that driving... don't really know, but I'm not complaining.

Well, I'd love to know how to put the window crank back on so it stays there. It is missing that little metal clip that goes inside. I didn't realize when it came off that the metal clip laying on my floorboard of the car was from the window crank and I threw it out default_ohmy If you can help me that would be great, don't mean to hijack the thread though.

Oh and fishexpo - thanks for the advice! I spent a good amount of time browsing the forums and getting some ideas. I gave the car a really good bath & wax (detailed the inside too) after posting about the rust... a lot of the rust came off and it doesn't look as bad as it did before I took alcohol to the rust... but I'm going to be sanding down the rust in a few weeks, treating the metal, priming it, and touching it up with some Super White paint... I imagine I'll end up getting it repainted soon enough... the same color, a good paint job and will keep up with keeping it clean and frequent waxing.

I want to see more pics of 7th generation Corollas!!! I actually get excited everytime I see them (whether on the road or online) and look them up on Ebay and Craigslist all the time... I wish I had extra cash to burn because I want them all...

Just PM me your address and I will mail you another window crank clip.

Put it on the handle, then press the handle onto the door.

Here's the pictures I've linked to in other threads around here.

My '93 Corolla

I'm always checking out other 7th gens on the road. Many of them are beaters, at least around these parts. I just hope they'll hit the junkyard soon so I can scavenge them for parts.

That's one of the good things about living in SoCal: rust is really a non-issue. There are plenty of 15+ year old cars on the road with possible mechanical issues, but rust-free bodies.

I'm partial to the 8th and 9th generation Corolla, but that's because a 99 was my first new car, and that thing was my baby! default_sad

But it's really nice to see how your project cars progress from beginning to end, and I just love to see these cars given new life.

Bikeman982

Here's the pictures I've linked to in other threads around here.My '93 Corolla

I'm always checking out other 7th gens on the road. Many of them are beaters, at least around these parts. I just hope they'll hit the junkyard soon so I can scavenge them for parts.

I sold a 1994 that was the same color. It came from New Jersey and had plenty of rust.

What did you repair - the windshield, or the area around the windshield?

I just had windshields changed on my 1995 and the 1997.

New seals were put in at the same time.

The cars I have don't have any rust on them.

Topic List