Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Corolla Vs. Civic

By greezy, December 8, 2007

I would like to know why toyta corolla's are not as popular as honda civic's and cars like them among the tuning crowd. Why when I go online is it so hard to find things like pillar pods, engine upgrades, etc. I think that my corolla looks just as good if not better when pulled up to a civic with the same amount of mods. Corolla's are cheaper than civics. As a matter of fact when I bought my corolla I had looked into a civic and my insurance company told me that I would pay more for insurance if I got a civc. So what gives? I know I made the right choice though because there aren't to many modified corollas out there riding around. Maybe it's because the aftermarket doesn't have things readily available for corollas. I guess that makes the corolla tuners just more creative.

Any opinions on this subject will be appreciated.

• 1,424 posts
As a matter of fact when I bought my corolla I had looked into a civic and my insurance company told me that I would pay more for insurance if I got a civc. So what gives?

Because there is nothing cool about owning a Corolla.

Civic driver's who tune their cars are into image and performance, neither of which the Corolla has not a single smattering of.

I really thought I made the right choice when I bought a Corolla. I liked the car a lot and the fuel economy was great. The problem is that there are now cooler and better things out there.

Right now I'm strongly considering the new Focus. The SES coupe with all the toys is a nice car. The class exclusive system called SYNC is amazingly simple to use and controls not only your bluetooth cell phone, but your Ipod, and best of all it is voice activated. It has better performance than the Corolla, netter handling, better styling and appears to have great build quality now that it is built in Michigan.

IMHO, Corolla is not the top small car anymore, the Civic, Mazda3, Rabbit and new Focus make it look dated (yes, even the newest totally updated model) and less than competitive.

new focus has no spare tire or place to put one without loosing trunk space.

• 1,424 posts

I know that and neither the Mazda Miata or RX-8 have a spare tire either, a can of fix a flat can work wonders.

Regardless of the Focus not having a spare, if you've driven one, you can not deny that it is more fun to drive than a Corolla. You also can't deny that it has about 100x times more personality.

People who buy Civics to mod them want a car with personality and that is why they avoid the Corolla and pay more to drive a Civic. That was my only point.

Bikeman982

I would prefer the Maxda3 TC sedan. It is a very nice car.

You can modify any car - just depends on how determined you are and how much money you want to spend. 15-20 years ago - Hondas were in the same spot as newer Corollas. Didn't stop me from making mods to my CRX and later ITR (much better support with this car). With the community focusing so much attention on the Civics - it was only a matter of time before they had as many parts as they do now. Demographics of the car doesn't help either - median age for Corolla owners were around 43 years old, last I checked. Even with the other more aggressive models - like the Scion xB and Toyota Matrix - where the median age of owners were actually higher than the Corolla, something like 47 years old for them. There isn't really a receptive market for performance Corollas. Maybe when Toyota released their plan RWD affordable platofor or and AWD or forced induction model - there will be more choices, as it stands - you have to do a lot more legwork with the Corolla than others.

civics are more often stolen, thats why insurance is higher.

I know that and neither the Mazda Miata or RX-8 have a spare tire either, a can of fix a flat can work wonders.

Regardless of the Focus not having a spare, if you've driven one, you can not deny that it is more fun to drive than a Corolla. You also can't deny that it has about 100x times more personality.

People who buy Civics to mod them want a car with personality and that is why they avoid the Corolla and pay more to drive a Civic. That was my only point.

well the last focus i was in was a terrible little car, it looked like an egg on rollerskate wheels and handled like one too. with 3 passengers i felt like i could spit faster than it would accelerate.

civics are more often stolen, thats why insurance is higher.

That depends on what state you are in.

They probably cost more to fix.

Bikeman982

I think Camry's are stolen more than Corollas.

Well, hang onto your hats, the 10th gen is on its way. It has been received well in australia, only criticism from motoring public is the lack of ESC availability across the range. If not from that, most motoring journalists put it up with the focus and the 3 in terms of driving enjoyment. In australia hardly anyone buys civics. Toyota is perceived as a mainstream brand, whilst honda is more boutique in nature. In OZ honda servicing, insurance and parts are generally dearer than the equivalent toyota model.

Bikeman982

Well, hang onto your hats, the 10th gen is on its way. It has been received well in australia, only criticism from motoring public is the lack of ESC availability across the range. If not from that, most motoring journalists put it up with the focus and the 3 in terms of driving enjoyment. In australia hardly anyone buys civics. Toyota is perceived as a mainstream brand, whilst honda is more boutique in nature. In OZ honda servicing, insurance and parts are generally dearer than the equivalent toyota model.
What's ESC??

electronic skid control, aka ESP, stability control etc.

I would like to know why toyta corolla's are not as popular as honda civic's and cars like them among the tuning crowd. Why when I go online is it so hard to find things like pillar pods, engine upgrades, etc. I think that my corolla looks just as good if not better when pulled up to a civic with the same amount of mods. Corolla's are cheaper than civics. As a matter of fact when I bought my corolla I had looked into a civic and my insurance company told me that I would pay more for insurance if I got a civc. So what gives? I know I made the right choice though because there aren't to many modified corollas out there riding around. Maybe it's because the aftermarket doesn't have things readily available for corollas. I guess that makes the corolla tuners just more creative.

Any opinions on this subject will be appreciated.

It's probably just because Honda's have a long history of owners modding them. I don't know why the first guys chose Honda over Toyota, but they did. At first, guys had to make their own parts, but Civic modding has been going on since the 70s. Also, vtec was available in like 90-91 in the US. Honda is also WAY more involved in racing too. Toyota mainly just stuck to road cars for the most part. They do some racing, but not as much as Honda. Not even close.

Even tho stock Honda cars are not generally that fast in the US, except for a few exceptions, Japan and other countries have been getting light weight high revving fun cars for a long time. The new US Civic Si is just a taste of what Honda has been doing for some time now. Not sure why the US doesn't get the good toys, but we don't. US guys buy a lot of used engines and do direct engine swaps. All it takes is a engine, ECU, wireing harness, driveshafts, and it's usually a good ideal to get the trans too.

I think the fact that not a lot of people tune Corollas is more the reason why I like mine. That way I can make my Corolla stand out. A modded Civic is about as predictable as a veto from George Bush. Now a modded Corolla, no one would expect that to come.

Personally, I think the primary reason Corollas have little aftermarket support is because there's no coupe version like there is with the Civic. Toyota as a whole has lost much of its sports market with the demise of the Celica, Supra, and MR2. I don't know how Toyota managed to f*ck it up so bad; they had one of the best sports lineups in the 1990s.

Even tho stock Honda cars are not generally that fast in the US, except for a few exceptions, Japan and other countries have been getting light weight high revving fun cars for a long time. The new US Civic Si is just a taste of what Honda has been doing for some time now. Not sure why the US doesn't get the good toys, but we don't. US guys buy a lot of used engines and do direct engine swaps. All it takes is a engine, ECU, wireing harness, driveshafts, and it's usually a good ideal to get the trans too.
I think a lot of it has to do with their inability to pass the stricker emissions testing in the US. Isn't that the reason why the 2zz-ge was discontinued?

I think the fact that not a lot of people tune Corollas is more the reason why I like mine. That way I can make my Corolla stand out. A modded Civic is about as predictable as a veto from George Bush. Now a modded Corolla, no one would expect that to come.

Personally, I think the primary reason Corollas have little aftermarket support is because there's no coupe version like there is with the Civic. Toyota as a whole has lost much of its sports market with the demise of the Celica, Supra, and MR2. I don't know how Toyota managed to f*ck it up so bad; they had one of the best sports lineups in the 1990s.

I think a lot of it has to do with their inability to pass the stricker emissions testing in the US. Isn't that the reason why the 2zz-ge was discontinued?

If that were the case, then how could they sell the current Si? It's the fastest 4cyl US Honda ever. Honda, not counting Acura, cause I think the real Type R was the best 4cyl in the US ever.

I think Honda just sells slower cheaper cars because they sell so well. They have a economy market more then they have a sports market. Honda is making a killing in the US. Just a few years ago, they were still selling low end non vtec engines and people still bought those things up. We test drove one and it was so freaking slow.

If you want to tune a Corolla, go for it, but a Honda is still the better car to tune. Now, if TRD still had a SCer for 05+ cars, that might be different. I was expecting to have that option when we got ours. Toyota doesn't give two snips about aftermarket performance. I'm not even sure how much the engines can really put out, but without the support, you will be on your own.

I'd highly recommend a Honda if you want a NA 4cyl performance car. As predictable as it might be, you could be different by not installing a wing and fart can.

Many JDM engines initially fail US emissions testing. The ones that do make it here are often de-tuned and less powerful in order to meet restrictions. For instance, the 2ZZ-GE engine in America was detuned heavily, making only 170 HP on the Corolla XRS and 180 HP on the Celica. In Japan, the Corolla and Celica both made 187 HP and the Europe they made 189 HP.

I agree with your disappointment with TRD. They are VERY haphazard in their marketing. Random generations and models receive random things.

Bikeman982

I see a lot of Hondas in my neighborhood, as well as Toyotas.

I think they are both popular and appeal to the masses.

The performance cars around my house are Ford Mustangs and Dodge Chargers.

If I did not have Corollas, I would probably go with the Civic.

I really liked the look of the old Preludes.

Now I like the look of the 7th generation Corollas.

They are not high performance, but they get me places fairly quickly.

That's my two cents!

Many JDM engines initially fail US emissions testing. The ones that do make it here are often de-tuned and less powerful in order to meet restrictions. For instance, the 2ZZ-GE engine in America was detuned heavily, making only 170 HP on the Corolla XRS and 180 HP on the Celica. In Japan, the Corolla and Celica both made 187 HP and the Europe they made 189 HP.

I agree with your disappointment with TRD. They are VERY haphazard in their marketing. Random generations and models receive random things.

A JDM engine would only fail in a few states that actually pop the hood and look. Even in Illinois near Chicago, they only test what comes out the tail pipe. They do put the car on a dyno, but they don't inspect anything. My tooner car passed with flying colors with a single high flow cat, and far from stock.

Bikeman982

In CA they open the hood and visually inspect the emission parts.

They also check the timing on the car as well as the exhaust gasses.

In CA they open the hood and visually inspect the emission parts.They also check the timing on the car as well as the exhaust gasses.

One reason I refuse to move to California. They take it too far. It really does seem like a money making scam. I can understand that they want clean air, but they shouldn't have backed down on the zero emissions laws.

It's retarded that I could put 5 cats on my car, but if they aren't CARB certified, I'd fail. If my K&N intake didn't have a CARB sticker, I'd fail. Even tho another intake is the exact same. People have to pay a LOT more for parts just to get that CARB # with it. CARB controls the spice.

Bikeman982

In CA they open the hood and visually inspect the emission parts.They also check the timing on the car as well as the exhaust gasses.

One reason I refuse to move to California. They take it too far. It really does seem like a money making scam. I can understand that they want clean air, but they shouldn't have backed down on the zero emissions laws.

It's retarded that I could put 5 cats on my car, but if they aren't CARB certified, I'd fail. If my K&N intake didn't have a CARB sticker, I'd fail. Even tho another intake is the exact same. People have to pay a LOT more for parts just to get that CARB # with it. CARB controls the spice.

CA does have very restrictive auto emission control laws.

Still, a lot of people live in the state and pay way too much in taxes.

I think a lot of the state regulated inspections are a scam to get more money.

That's the price we pay for having pretty good weather most of the year.

CA does have very restrictive auto emission control laws.

Still, a lot of people live in the state and pay way too much in taxes.

I think a lot of the state regulated inspections are a scam to get more money.

That's the price we pay for having pretty good weather most of the year.

It's pretty clear that California has the strictest emissions. Other states like MA are hard too, but you don't need MARB parts too pass.

Back to the topic, many people can install a tune a much more powerful JDM honda engine, or any other engine for that mater, and get away with it. Engine swaps have been going on a long time and people can drive them on the road. Maybe not in CA, but just about every where else. As long as the car has the same amount of cats it once had, and is tunned right, it's not going to mater at all in most states.

Ideally for a Corolla, an engine swap from a GT-S would be nice. I'm not sure how hard they would be to come by, but it would be a good swap. Or even better yet, find out how Lotus got even more power out of it. Turbo's work too, but when a ECU and engine is already made, why spend so much more on R&D for making custom parts and tuning.

Bikeman982

You can swap engines in CA, as long as they look good to the inspectors and they pass the emission test.

You can swap engines in CA, as long as they look good to the inspectors and they pass the emission test.

Maybe, but they are not stupid. Tooners are targeted the most. I'm sure they would notice a nice JDM Honda or Toyota engine sitting in a Civic or Corolla. Or a turbo for that matter. I know mine wouldn't pass and I have the stock engine in it. I doubt they would like the AFPR that actually keeps the car from running too rich, or the BOV that actually stops a boost leak and keeps the turbo from over spinning at high boost.

In most states, you can do anything you want. Stick a LSx or 3800sc in a Feiro. I've seen a Mitsu 4g63 in a Feiro, BMW, and Porsche. Vette engines in a fox body, TT LSx in a volvo station wagon. That one was actually rather sick.

CA is probably the reason old classics are so hot right now. Sure, older people with lots of money wanting to remember the past is part of it too, but having a car you can stick any engine in, tune it however you want, and never get a emissions testing card in the mail has to play a roll too. People with money find a way to get around the system. They just need a old chassis with a old VIN, restore it, and go to town.

Topic List: Go to Everything Else