Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Getting Ready To Trade For An 08 Ce

by BobLevine, December 7, 2007

So, I was in the gym on the treadmill and Toyota announced $1,500 cash back on an 08 CE. Fred Anderson Toyota adds $500 if you go thru their internet dept.

I took my 03 to the Carmax buying office for a quote to use against the dealer's. They gave me a hard quote of $7,500, and I was very pleasantly surprised. My 03 has 57K and is great mechanically but has some paint and windshield microscratches among other cosmetic matters.

I called the person who sold my son the Scion XB and he got me a price at invoice less $2K for the discounts. He said he'd probably match Carmax but, if his used car appraiser couldn't, we'd walk across to Carmax and get the check there.

Everyone is waiting for Gen 10, so Toyota really wants to dump the Gen 9's.

After reading the gen 10 info on here and Toyota.com, I prefer the gen 9. so this is a good time to snag a deal.

Will see Rob Saturday to do the deal. He'll even throw in mats.

Like my son's Scion XB but too gadgety for my tastes.

Good deal for those wanting to trade and preferring Gen 9 (now bug-free) to Gen 10 with its new powerplant and many changes. No more first year of a new model for me.

Not bad - last model year of the a generation always seem to have most of the bugs worked out. Plug getting $7500 cash for your car + $2K in incentives - pretty hard to pass up. Fresh car, new warranty, a dealership that you feel comfortable with - sounds like it is almost a done deal. Let us know how it turns out.

Bikeman982

Sounds like a good deal Bob.

Get the most for your car that you can and spend the least amount possible on a leftover new car.

Max

Bob, let us know how it all went and how you like the new car. Auto trans this time? Color?

Hi,

Just brought my 08 CE home and waxed and Scotchgarded it. Carmax paid the $7,500 since dealer came in a few hundred lower.

Got Impulse Red automatic to please the Mrs.

Here are the improvements noted so far:

1. Love the seat height adjuster - really helps a shorter guy like me

2. More pep than my son's former 03 automatic LE

3. Nice to have dome light switch on light so dash levels need not be changed to turn light on or off

4. Headlight low beams seem better focused and work better than the new bulbs in my 03

5. Tire pressure monitor could alert to low tire

6. Like the new grille

7. Center rear headrest doesn't cause a visibility problem as some said

8. Electronic throttle is noticably smoother

9. 120K long life coolant.

Only downside so far is the $100 chipped keys and the misprint in the maintenance schedule saying to tighten driveshaft bolt every 15K. Service manager confirmed that Corollas have no driveshafts so to speak. The wording was boilerplated from an SUV service manual.

Delivered to dealer in 9/07 with only 10 miles. Guess nobody wanted to testdrive it.

I'm happy with the car and the deal so far. Build quality seems fine.

Thanks for all the good wishes from my board buddies.

Bob

Max

Congrats, Bob. Sounds like a good deal on a nice car. Mine's Impulse Red, too. Frequent polishing and waxing make it really pop.

Thanks, Max.

My son had that color too and it held up well.

Bikeman982

Congrats on new car.

Corollas have half shafts with an axle nut that should be checked occassionally.

Congrats on new car.Corollas have half shafts with an axle nut that should be checked occassionally.

Service mgr said the manual was wrong when it said to tighten "driveshaft nut" every 15K. He said Corollas have no driveshafts.

The 03 manual did not list this item.

Where is the nut?

Thanks

Hope you really like the new car. I totally agree with buying the last year of a generation. They have been putting them together for so long now, any little bugs would have been long worked out.

I have a 2000 and plan on replacing it with the last year of the new Corolla coming out in the spring, so I figure that should be around 2013!! Buy then I should be really tired of it and dying to have something new.

Bikeman982

Congrats on new car.Corollas have half shafts with an axle nut that should be checked occassionally.

Service mgr said the manual was wrong when it said to tighten "driveshaft nut" every 15K. He said Corollas have no driveshafts.

Where is the nut?

Thanks

Axle nut is on the end of the half-shafts. Usually under the hubcap and behind an endcap or dustcover (if you have one).

Only on the front end - try taking off the hubcap and you may find it. Usually held on by a cotter pin and castle nut.

Where is the nut?

Thanks

Axle nut is on the end of the half-shafts. Usually under the hubcap and behind an endcap or dustcover (if you have one).

Only on the front end - try taking off the hubcap and you may find it. Usually held on by a cotter pin and castle nut.

Thanks.

I'll ask again at the dealer.

Wouldn't cotter pin keep nut from loosening?

could i get the same the same deal on a matrix?

Bikeman982

Where is the nut?

Thanks

Thanks.

Cotter pin would keep it from coming off, but as bearings wear down the nut might need tightening.

Where is the nut?

Thanks

Thanks.

Cotter pin would keep it from coming off, but as bearings wear down the nut might need tightening.

Has anyone seen problems caused by the nut not being retorqued?

My son's 03 was traded at 109K with no issues. Never had nut torqued. My CE was traded at 57K with no front end issues.

Thanks again

Has anyone seen problems caused by the nut not being retorqued?

My son's 03 was traded at 109K with no issues. Never had nut torqued. My CE was traded at 57K with no front end issues.

Thanks again

I would think this would taken care of when the front rotors get changed out. Can't imagine it needed to be re-torqued before then.

True.

Toyota HQ is sending me a letter tomorrow to keep in my manual confirming that the Corolla doesn't require retorquing the axle bolts as a maintenance service.

Bikeman982

True.

Toyota HQ is sending me a letter tomorrow to keep in my manual confirming that the Corolla doesn't require retorquing the axle bolts as a maintenance service.

That's great.

Toyota should send one to everyone that has that manual.

Topic List