Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Dash Noise, Rattles, Sounds.

by tomdabombferreal, December 5, 2007

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here and was hoping to find some advice for my current situation. In august of this year I purchased a brand new 2007 toyota corolla S. I was so excited, my first new car purchase! However, that joy is now gone and I am at my wits end with my car.

Here is the deal.

About 3 weeks after purchasing my car I noticed some rattling type sounds coming from the dash, right behind the stereo. I took it in and did a small test drive to diagnose the rattles and left the car at the shop to be repaired. When I picked it up, the same day at night, it was still rattling. The next day, when it was light, I noticed that they had scratched my dash up significantly when they were going to repairs. I was pissed to say the least. I immediatly called the dealership and scheduled an appointment to have the rattles taken care of and the dash repaired.

Sooo, I brought my car in again and picked it up and the rattles were still there.

So I'm getting frustrated, and letting the dealership know about it and schedule another appointment to have the rattles looked at. This time, they know I'm pissed and they bring in an FTS to drive along and discuss the problems. They tell me that the rattles are there because the road I drive on is bumpy and that the car's construction makes if difficult to keep it noise free. I say BS, but I listen anyway. They also drove me around in a used, 2007 corolla S with 12000 miles so I have something to compare my car to. The thing rattled like a pop corn machine the the FTS actually admitted that he wouldn't sell the car with all the rattles her heard. Basically, the dealership is trying to avoid thier own incompetency.

Today, I picked up my car for a third time and the freaken' rattles are still there. Plus they scratched up my dash again, although it minor. So I call the dealership back and they basically tell me they don't know what to say. The costomer service rep is rude and trys to blame me taking the car in for the damage. They tell me that they will call the regional toyota manager and that someone will call me back today. When they did call me back, they told me that the dealership won't help me anymore and that I have no choice but to keep the car or start arbitration.

Does anyone else have a story similar to mine? I've left out other problems with the dealership I've had but now I just need some advice from other people!

HELP!!

Noises and rattles are the toughest thing to control on any vehicle - some happen right away, some happen years down the road. Especially when they have to take something apart to get to the noise source, the process many times will not fix the problem or create additional noises. Sometimes it is from a manufacturing defect - either restricted to your car, a handful of cars, or the entire lineup. You did everything correctly - you basically ran through the whole spiel of addressing this with the dealership. The dealership actually worked the situation in the correct manner as well, aside from not being able to fix the original problem.

I ran into a very similar problem with a brand new Dodge Truck - but there, the noise was in the drivetrain. My truck was in the shop in and out oh the shop probably a good 8-9 months solid the 1st year of ownership (put on about 2400 miles the first year - mostly from test drives to sort out the noise issue). Needless to say - the dealership did everything they could short of replacing the whole truck - which is where arbitration comes in and your state's "lemon law" procedure starts to happen. Took about a two weeks of lets try this and that - keep the vehicle + get some compensation, trade it into another vehicle, etc. Ended up having them replace the whole truck with another + gold level warranty, ie. a$$ kissing extended warranty (sad part was - this one started to do the same thing, just louder and at a different frequency) - truck also had major issues - entire drivetrain replaced twice, interior completely gutted and replaced 3 times, and engine replaced twice - all do to some goofed up design issue. Needless to say, a nightmare. This was a cash purchase as well - so it kind of hurt a bit. Oh why didn't Toyota make a V8 truck at that time to pull a 8000lb trailer (1997).

It is possible that the rattle can be addressed - or it could be one of those rares cases of manufacture defect in your vehicle. Stuff like this does happen, that's why there is arbitration. Read through the vehicle documentation to see your rights and the limitations of arbitration. Sort of sucks, but this is the next logical step. At this point, it is eat the car, go arbitration, or take it to court. Dealership has already tried to fix it more than once unsuccessfully (this happens), that's why they popped the "live with it" or "arbitration" route.

Good Luck.

Thanks fishexpo101 for replying.

This whole experience has been just awful. I'm definitely struggling with the decision to just trade it in for a loss, about 3600, or to go ahead and see what the arbitration has in store for me. I'm just worried that if I go through arbitration and I can't get the rattles to reproduce the way I hear them that I won't get a buy back option.

You mentioned them taking two weeks to decide what to do. Was this before arbitration? Did you actually go through arbitration?

At this point I would love to just get most of my money back, even taking a 1000 dollar loss.

Again, does anyone else have any input for me? I still can't believe that they have only tried 3 times and are already giving up!

Yes, I did go through arbitration - the two weeks was the amount of time spent in arbitration until an exceptable resolution was reached. Should be able to recoup much of the depreciation from the 3rd party arbiter, if you choose to go the arbitration route. Also keep in mind - that arbitration supposed to be fair to both parties involved, I found that they tend to favor the dealership instead of the consumer - but others have found otherwise.

I would highly recommend reading up on your state's "lemon law" qualification - usually it takes one unsuccessful major/critical repair or three unsuccessful minor repairs before you qualify. Having a new car complicates things - since potential parts that could fix the issue are being tied up for production of other new cars. I had to wait for six months for a new differential - since none were apparently available to be a replacement for my vehicle. We lucked out there - we bought the extended service plan, so loaners were free - got to drive a new Dodge vehicle every month until they got the part.

Lots of sites take about lemon law and arbitration also tend to pound in these points (quoted from http://www.lemonlaw.com/kit.html):

----------------------------------------------------------------------

NEVER LEAVE THE REPAIR FACILITY

without a copy of the work orders. A complete record of the vehicle history is very important, especially with repeated problems. Although not absolutely necessary to prove your claim at a later date, copies of the records prevent the dealer from writing several repair visits as one, a common practice.

ASK ABOUT TSBs

TSB(Technical Service Bulletins) are instructions from the manufacturer that alert dealerships about defects or repairs in certain models. However, dealerships do not generally tell the customer about TSBs unless asked! So speak up. Ask the dealership to write your TSB request on the repair order even if told no TSBs exist for the concerns you are experiencing.

DEMAND RESPECT

You paid a lot for your vehicle...so don't be afraid to go over anyone's head if your vehicle isn't repaired properly. Part of the price of the car is the warranty service for which repairs are being made. You paid for it, you should get your moneys worth.

ARBITRATION

At present, the Federal Trade Commission has determined that no manufacturer has in place an "arbitration program" which complies with Federal minimum standards. What this means is that the FTC finds these programs to be unfair to consumers.

DON'T BE MISLED

----------------------------------------------------------------------

In some situations, the dealership may claim that the consumer is causing the problem. This is a common tactic when the dealership cannot fix the problem or the manufacturer has no repair to correct the condition. Ask about the TSBs as stated above and stick to your guns. Your situation is not as unique as the dealership represents.

When we went through our arbitration process - I covered all these and brought in my own arbiter to work with the factory arbiter to make sure things were fair. Not going to sugar coat this - it will be a nightmare - dealership doesn't want to get stuck with a car they cannot potentially resell and you definitely do not want to put up with faulty product.

Good Luck.

Bikeman982

If you decide to keep the car, try isolating the source(s) of the rattle and fix it yourself.

The dealer should replace the damaged dash parts.

About 3 weeks after purchasing my car I noticed some rattling type sounds coming from the dash, right behind the stereo. I took it in and did a small test drive to diagnose the rattles and left the car at the shop to be repaired. When I picked it up, the same day at night, it was still rattling. The next day, when it was light, I noticed that they had scratched my dash up significantly when they were going to repairs. I was pissed to say the least. I immediatly called the dealership and scheduled an appointment to have the rattles taken care of and the dash repaired.

Good Luck.

This happened on your 2007? Wow Toyota really dropped the ball on this one and learned absoultey nothing from previous owner's experiences in order to improve the car.

I had the EXACT same issue on my 2003 Corolla (built in early 2002). It seemed the tech never took a console apart before in his life because there was extensive damage to my console caused by what looks like a screwdriver that they used to try to pry. So after the 1st fix, I now have a gap between the top of the dash and the top of the radio, extensive marks and to top it all of it still rattled. It took another 3 visits to get the damage repaired and to get it to stop rattling (apparently they wrapped wires and other parts with tape). I still have my gap and the whole assembly tends to "pop" out of position all the time. Looks like crap and the dealer offered to replace the entire dash under warranty but I couldn't even trust them to take apart a console properly, I hate to see what happens when they do a bigger job. So I just live with the gap problem, but at least I am rattle free.

I didn't go through arbitration, because they did offer to "fix" the problem by replacing the dash for free.

Good luck with which process you decide to go through.

Bikeman982

I still say you should make the dealership replace the damaged dash parts.

Thanks for all the feed back guys.

I finally did talk to the corporate toyota rep and he said that I also had no choice but to arbitrate. They did say they would fix my damage, but I've just about lost my mind with how poor the service and response has been. These guys are such pieces of snip. If you live in portland, don't ever buy a car from Broadway Toyota.

Lately I've been considering just tossing the towel in on the whole thing and trading my car it for a loss. The 2008 civic lx looks pretty nice and I test drove one the other day. I would lose like 3400 bucks but at least I would be free and clear from toyota and the amazing "quality and reliability!"

Does anyone have any advice on the actual arbitration process? Is it like a court hearing where I argue my case and then present evidence?

thanks everyone for the responces.

Topic List