Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Where Would I Be Without Abs?

By Bitter, December 1, 2007

WOW the whole midwest is just one big sheet of ice tonight! it went from snow to sleet while i was in class today, and by the time i hit the road at 2pm there had not been a plow or salt truck out. the road was literally snow/sleet with 2 tracks of ice from traffic packing it down. anytime i even thought about touching the brake pedal the abs light was on default_tongue i left OD off and let my engine do most of my braking, drove slow, and had a hell of alot of fun doing parking brake slides in empty parking lots. ice/snow has never scared me away from going out and doing what i want to do, and this car is just soo predictable and easy to drive in it.

Yeah - just started here in the DC Metro area. People already drive poorly here in good weather - can only guess how they drive in bad weather. Coming home from grocery shopping, was almost taken out by a fishtailing Nissan Armada coming the other way. Exciting! No ABS on Corolla - Matrix does, but still in the process of getting new tires put on it (need to clean the wheels first and take all the wheel weight off - first - can't trust the tire perople to do a good job).

i ended up driving to the side a little bit to catch the sleet/snow that hadnt been compacted to ice yet. however where i park was one big sheet of ice on a slight hill. i park perpendicular to the slope, so i ended up giving the parking brake a little yank and sliding sideways into the spot. just had to move a couple feet in reverse and i was parked, was fun! walking across the parking lot i had to scuttle sideways facing uphill. not fun!

K_Watson

I was in Ann Arbor, Michigan when the storm hit.

did they get it bad? iowa was measuring the ice in inches!

K_Watson

did they get it bad? iowa was measuring the ice in inches!

Ann Arbor got maybe up to an inch of snow, then some freezing rain, which formed a couple tenths of an inch of ice on top of that. Nothing major, but enough to send some people into the ditch.

i had 1/16th to 1/8th of an inch of ice on my car, some things outside had what looked like near 1/4 inch of ice on it.

Bikeman982

What snow??

It has been cold here in CA and we are expecting rain, but snow only in the mountains.

its been snowing tonight, again i slid sideays into my parking spot default_smile

Supposed to get some steady accumulation overnight/tomorrow morning from that clipper - going to make the morning commute fun, Yay.

People here freak when there is even a hint of snow on the ground - they close businesses and schools in a heatbeat. Pretty funny, since I grew up in the Great Lakes area - all that lake effect snow. School up there wouldn't close unless there was like a foot of snow on the ground + subzero temps + windchill - some cases even that wasn't enough to close the schools.

Last year, DC Metro starts closing schools the minute there is "expected" snow - snow doesn't even have to be on the ground!! Lots of kids were pissed because they had to make up a few school days over the summer, since some of the schools were closed for several days on and off throughout the wintertime.

this morning 4-5 on the ground, another 1-3 fell during the day and then it cleared off. you could see a well defined front on the back edge of the storm, it was pretty cool. now its sitting about 15F outside and all the salted roads are icing over nicely and i suspect there to be some good patches of black ice out there. i hope they break out the calcium chloride for the morning salting!

Bikeman982

It rained yesterday but was sunny today. More rain expected tomorrow.

That translates into more snow to the east.

Topic List: Go to Everything Else