Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Seats?

by greezy, November 30, 2007

i'm looking to try to get another set of seats other than my factory 2005 corolla seats. i was wondering if anyone has any idea if i can find a set of late model oem celica seats would they fit into my car (direct bolt in) or maybe can i swap seat brackets with the celica's and make them work? any info would be appreciated. is anyone else out there swapping seats? im trying not to spend the cheese on the pricey aftermarket one's. default_sad

The seats aren't a direct swap. You will need to customize the bolting. If you keep your corolla seat brackets, it will probably be a little easy.

One thing you should take into consideration; the Celica's seats are designed for the driver to sit very low to the ground (the 7th gen celica was only 51" tall compared to current Corolla which is 58"), so it will probably be very hard for most drivers in 9th gen Corollas; its going to feel like the dash and everything is set very high up and may be hard for shorter people to see over the wheel.

How do universal ones fit? I know the corolla has a specified, pre-determined width for the seat rails for the stock seats. If I were to take out my old seat and put in some sparco's, for example, and my new seats came with guide rails, do I have to modify/fabricate something that will install the seats properly? Or do universal seats come with lots of holes on the bottom so I can just bolt down the rails into the corolla and just stick the seat right on there? etc

Many of the universal ones have sliders - but you need to pull your rails off to fit them. Some of the better ones will come with a universal base, and a template card. You pull your existing seat out - put the template down, mark the bolt hole locations - drill new holes in the universal base - and bolt in. Otherwise, you have to cut your exisiting rails off, and weld them to the sliders or base of the new seat. Very few aftermarket manufacturers offer brackets for fitment in a Corolla.

Note that there are two main type of aftermarket seats - most common type are bottom mount (seat's underside is designed to attach to a bracket or slider below) The other type is the side mount (seat attaches to mounting brackets on either side of the seat frame, ie. most racing-style seats with a rigid shell)

If you want the seats to be able to slide forward and backward - need a bottom mount seat type. Side mounted seats are pretty much limited to static seat positioning (fixed).

In any case - picking the seat is always the easy part - getting them in the car and secured properly - that is the tough part. Depending on where you source the bottom parts of the car - brackes and sliders can easy run anywhere from $50-$200 for mechanical ones - more expensive for the heavy duty electric seat ones.

Bikeman982

The front part of the seats will match up, but the rear will need an adapter bracket.

Topic List