Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By Mr. Ed November 30, 2007

Mr. Ed

I want to get a set (4) winter tires for my '04 Corolla. So, I'm looking for 4 steel rims to mount them on. Where is the best place to find them? I've had no luck at the wrecking yards around here.

Thanks!

I want to get a set (4) winter tires for my '04 Corolla. So, I'm looking for 4 steel rims to mount them on. Where is the best place to find them? I've had no luck at the wrecking yards around here.Thanks!

eBay

Might try an online retailer - like Tirerack or similar for a winter package deal. They can set you up with winter tires mounted and balanced on usually OEM steel wheels - ready to go. I've done that with 2002 Corolla - Blizzaks on OEM 14" new steel wheels - ran something like $400 for the whole thing + shipping. Already mounted and balanced - just pulled my summer wheels off, slapped the winter ones on.

Mr. Ed

I found some at Kendall Auto Parts in Erie, PA. They are brand new and only $55 each delivered. Here is the phone # for others that may be interested: 1-800-898-7278.

Thursday I'll have a set (4) of Michelin X-Ice tires mounted on these new rims. Then, it won't feel so slippery!

$55 each sounds a bit expensive for steels, you might as well get some cheap alloys. Sport edition sells 15" ones for only $75 each. I would stay clear of eBay. Unless you find a seller who is close by and you can pick up the wheels, its going to be VERY expensive to ship four 25 lbs wheels.

Mr. Ed

I found some at Kendall Auto Parts in Erie, PA. They are brand new and only $55 each delivered. Here is the phone # for others that may be interested: 1-800-898-7278.

Brendon,

There are NO used steel wheels around. And, I'm not going to eBay. I don't want alloy or aluminum wheels. So, I am excited about getting these for $55 (each) - the shipping is $0. He was going to send them via UPS (at no extra charge). However, he is going to drop them off locally since he will be making deliveries near here on Wednesday - $0 charge.

Mr. Ed

I had the Michelin X-Ice installed on these new wheels today. With just a taste of packed snow and ice to try, I have one thing to say, "WOW! I should have gotten something like this years ago!" I'm very impressed. They should give me the "edge" needed to be safe on slippery roads.

Bikeman982

Glad to hear that you are happy with your tires.

It is better to spend a little more money and be safe, than to be cheap and be unsafe.

I had the Michelin X-Ice installed on these new wheels today. With just a taste of packed snow and ice to try, I have one thing to say, "WOW! I should have gotten something like this years ago!" I'm very impressed. They should give me the "edge" needed to be safe on slippery roads.
You would not be hurt by putting one of the stock tires in your trunk in place of the doughnut that is in there. The tire will fit fine and would be much more efficient if you had a flat....ditto for the snow tire in the summer time.

Bikeman982

I go along with having an exact replacement tire in the trunk space.

The little donut tires are just for emergencies.

If you do get a flat and change your own tire, an exact match for a spare can stay on while you get your flat fixed.

Sometimes that may take a couple of days and the donut would not hold up that long.

Topic List