Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Diffculty Taking Off Rear Drums

by VCi15, November 30, 2007

Over the weekend I tried to take off the rear drums of my 05 Corolla to see if I can resurface the drums or do I need to buy new ones.

I could not get the rear drums off at all though, I heard people talking about using a screwdriver to pull back the spring to get it off but I didn't see any holes behind the drum where you could do that. I made sure my parking brake was off. Anyone have any ideas?

back in the old days I have used a mallet or hammer and tap around the drum to free it up as much as possible then I could eventually get it off, lot of brake dust inside them when I did it.

spray penetrating lube around the holes for the lug studs and the center, let it sit over night, then use sharp blows with strong follow through from a hammer 2lbs to 4lbs in weight on the edge of the drum. 2 or 3 hard blows should have it right off. if not, heat the drum around the center and lugs with a torch, then try again.

You can press the drums off by using the two threaded holes in the face of the drum. I'm not 100% sure they used the same threading as previous generations of Corolla and early 9th gens - but the spare tire tie down screw just happens to be the right size. You can match them up with some bolts at a hardware store and use those to pry the drum away from teh hub. Just make sure to apply even pressure across the face of the drum by turning the screws slowly and evenly.

Out of curiosity, do current (2007) Corollas still use drum brakes on the rear wheels?

hmm I'm curious now that I think about it. I had the car in Park, would that of made getting the drum off impossible? Should I of put it in Neutral?

Out of curiosity, do current (2007) Corollas still use drum brakes on the rear wheels?

Yes - cost effective and for most FWD cars, more than adequate braking performance (the XRS models have discs all around).

The 2009 Corollas are supposed to be disc all around.

hmm I'm curious now that I think about it. I had the car in Park, would that of made getting the drum off impossible? Should I of put it in Neutral?
Nope - as long as you did not engage the parking "brake" - should not be an issue. The transmission has its own interal parking pawl, doesn't have anything to do with the brakes on the car.

need to be careful with those bolts on the drums, you can crack the face of the drums and distort the wheel mating surface if its stuck hard. if the bolts are not lifting the drum off then leave them in and tight to hold tension and hit it some more.

dont forget that the brake shoes may need to be adjusted in some if theres a ridge going on them.

The holes where you inspect the drums have rubber plugs in them. At least they have plugs until you have had a number of "free brake inspections" where a mechanic may pull out the plugs and loose them.

The holes where you inspect the drums have rubber plugs in them. At least they have plugs until you have had a number of "free brake inspections" where a mechanic may pull out the plugs and loose them.

ok i did see the rubber plugs but I had no idea what those rubber plugs were actually covering. It seemed like a really small hole but I couldn't really make out what I could do with them so I just put the rubber plug back in.

Bikeman982

ok i did see the rubber plugs but I had no idea what those rubber plugs were actually covering. It seemed like a really small hole but I couldn't really make out what I could do with them so I just put the rubber plug back in.

Those holes are used to adjust the "star" wheel on the brake adjusters.

It takes a screwdriver or two or a brake adjustment tool to loosen the brakes.

Take a look at a picture (in the repair manual) to see how it is inside.

The trick is to press the lock bar off the star wheel and rotate it with a screwdriver to loosen.

Bikeman982

The drum will come off - sometimes requires some great persuasion.

ok I'll give it another stab in the next few days. I might even try to find someone on craigslist to just take off the drums for me. I ended up buying new OEM drums for 60.00. Is that an okay price? I'll return them if I see that I can resurface the drums. How much does it usually cost to resurface drums?

Bikeman982

ok I'll give it another stab in the next few days. I might even try to find someone on craigslist to just take off the drums for me. I ended up buying new OEM drums for 60.00. Is that an okay price? I'll return them if I see that I can resurface the drums. How much does it usually cost to resurface drums?
It is free - if you have a friend that works at an automotive place!

Bring your car over here - I will take your drums off for you.

thanks for the offer but most likely you probably aren't near Portland, Oregon. So if I really try hard to hit the edge of the drum with a hammer, it will loosen it to the point that it will be just slide off with a bit of a pull? I gave the drum some moderate hits from the hammer and it felt like I was going to break something.

Rubber or Plastic mallet would be safer than a hammer, unless it is a ballpeen type. As always, proper eye protection should be used - some hammers will crack and fracture before you can damage the drum.

Try soaking the area around the wheel studs and center bore with penetrating fluid - remember to take the parking brake off (common mistake - will make the drums impossible to take off). get two bolts to thread into the face of the drum and press then off - and work the drum over with the mallet / hammer.

For an 2005 Corolla - I can't expect the rear brakes to be that worn, unless the car was driven around with the parking brake engaged for some distance. I think mine were only 10% worn at 60K miles, changed them at 90K for grins (still had more than 60-70% left - checked them every 30K miles).

You could also try spraying some penetrating fluid (I like to use PB Blaster) on the studs and center bore and then do a couple of hard stops back and forth to potentially loosen up the drum (will also heat them up - so becareful touching them). Might come loose after that.

Bikeman982

thanks for the offer but most likely you probably aren't near Portland, Oregon. So if I really try hard to hit the edge of the drum with a hammer, it will loosen it to the point that it will be just slide off with a bit of a pull? I gave the drum some moderate hits from the hammer and it felt like I was going to break something.
If there are threaded holes in it, try getting some bolts and threading them into the holes.

It should put pressure between the hub and the drum and the drum may push out.

You should use a rubber head hammer and not a metal one, so you don't crack or break the drum.

I have a 2004 Corolla and tried everything to get the drums off.

I even completely retracted the brakes by spinning the star.

The only thing that works is getting 2 bolts to screw into the drum.

There are 2 threaded holes on the front of the drum.

I just measured the diameter with a ruler, i believe it was 7mm but not 100% sure.

I bought two bolts and slowly alternated screwing them in.

After a couple of turns the drum pop right off.

Just go to an autoparts store and rent a hub puller. Those things work excellent. I could not get a rotor off the front of my pickup once and I use the puller and it took 2 seconds.

Bikeman982

Hub pullers will work as well.

Try the bolt method, the hub puller, or a rubber hammer.

Keep at it, you can get them off!

Topic List