Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Questions About Tire Spinning

by Brendon, November 24, 2007

Recently, I changed my car's oil. I had the car up on jacks. After I was done, I decided to take a look at my rear tires. I was spinning them to see how easily they rotate. I do the same thing with my bicycle tires in order to make sure the brakes aren't rubbing against the wheel.

On the back right side, it moved fairly freely (not that great, but not bad), but on the left side the wheel was REALLY hard to turn. I had to use some muscle to get the wheel to rotate. I'm sure that having rear wheels which don't rotate freely isn't good for both fuel efficiency and acceleration. I did the same test with my Mom's rear wheels and they rotated like butter with ease. I'm wondering what could be causing this and how can I fix this so that my wheels spin freely again. Are my brake pads rubbing against the wheel?

Bikeman982

Recently, I changed my car's oil. I had the car up on jacks. After I was done, I decided to take a look at my rear tires. I was spinning them to see how easily they rotate. I do the same thing with my bicycle tires in order to make sure the brakes aren't rubbing against the wheel.

On the back right side, it moved fairly freely (not that great, but not bad), but on the left side the wheel was REALLY hard to turn. I had to use some muscle to get the wheel to rotate. I'm sure that having rear wheels which don't rotate freely isn't good for both fuel efficiency and acceleration. I did the same test with my Mom's rear wheels and they rotated like butter with ease. I'm wondering what could be causing this and how can I fix this so that my wheels spin freely again. Are my brake pads rubbing against the wheel?

If your emergency brake was not on, then your brake needs adjustment.

The rear brake shoes press aginst the brake drum and if the wheel does not rotate easily, then it is too tight.

There is an adjustment opening on the inside of the brake dust plate.

Normally a brake adjustment tool is used.

Topic List