Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

1999 Corolla With 180,000 Miles

by Corolled, November 17, 2007

Just bought a 99 LE 5 spd with 180,000 miles for a daily driver. No clue about the maintenance history.

The motor runs very strong and starts up right away. The clutch seems to be fine.

I took a look under the oil cap and its sludged. I have used a product named auto-rx in the past on a Honda and it works miracles so I will be using that to clear up the dirty motor. (guessing infrequent oil changes)

As a first time Corolla owner what should I be checking / replacing, Again I have no idea about the history of this car but I want to do everything I can to keep it on the road.

Thanks

Welcome to the forums. Well, with no idea of past maintenance history - probably a good idea to just start from the top.

At the very least, you will be looking at the standard maintenance items:

- Replace engine air filter

- Replace engine coolant (don't forget the overflow tank)

- Replace engine oil and oil filter

- Replace spark plugs

- Replace spark plugs wires (as necessary)

- Replace Serpentine belt (as necessary)

- Replace transaxle oil

- Rotate tires

- Replace PCV valve

- Replace fluids in Powersteering and Brake master cylinder

- Replace fluids in Clutch master cylinder

- Inspect and clean induction system (throttle body, intake manifold, etc.)

Probably a good idea to inspect these for wear and tear:

- Ball joints and dust covers

- Brake lines and hoses

- Brake linings/drums and brake pads/discs

- Drive shaft boots

- Engine intake and exhaust valves (clearance)

- Exhaust pipes and mountings

- Fuel lines and connections, fuel tank band and fuel tank vapor vent system hoses (EVAP)

- Fuel tank cap gasket

- Steering gear box

- Steering linkage and boots

- Engine timing chain

- Inspect nuts and bolts on chassis and body

- Inspect and replace fuel pump pickup sock and fuel filter (both in the tank, access from rear seat)

Bikeman982

Fishexpo101 has given you a very good list.

I recommend picking up a repair manual, such as Chiltons or Haynes to learn about your car.

There is great information in them about regular maintenance and also the frequency of that maintenance.

Thanks for the advice guy. Already got the oil change and the air filter done. Do you know if it is possible to view a Haynes manual online or buy it in PDF format?

Not on the 8th gen Corollas, at least not for free yet. Autozone has some free online guids but for 7th gen Corollas. Some might prove to be helpful but in a general sense.

Bikeman982

You might find the manuals on e-Bay or Amazon.com for a fair price.

I'd also suggest that you keep a very close watch on oil consumption for the first couple of thousand miles. There are a few 98-02 corollas out there that tend to consume a bit of oil, even with excellent service history.

I have a 2000 CE automatic with 184,000 miles that is currently getting about 500 miles per quart. I bought the car new, did all my own oil changes with excellent oils and 3000-4000 mile internals (some even under 3000 miles).

Mine still runs great, but I go through about 5 quarts between changes now.

Hopefully yours will do much better, but I'd hate for you to pull the dipstick after 1500 miles and find a dry dipstick.

Jim

Bikeman982

I'd also suggest that you keep a very close watch on oil consumption for the first couple of thousand miles. There are a few 98-02 corollas out there that tend to consume a bit of oil, even with excellent service history.

I have a 2000 CE automatic with 184,000 miles that is currently getting about 500 miles per quart. I bought the car new, did all my own oil changes with excellent oils and 3000-4000 mile internals (some even under 3000 miles).

Mine still runs great, but I go through about 5 quarts between changes now.

Hopefully yours will do much better, but I'd hate for you to pull the dipstick after 1500 miles and find a dry dipstick.

Jim

Good advice.

I recommend checking the oil level frequently and put a case of oil in the trunk.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm keeping a close eye on it anyway because I have a small oil leak going.

I spend some time on

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com and the guys there swear by this product http://www.auto-rx.com

I used this on a 98 Integra with 100K+ miles with great results.

My "new" corolla seems to run very strong but a look under the oil cap shows the motor was abused. A bunch of sludge and varnish. I bought two bottles of autorx and will be running two applications. I'll let you know how it goes.

BTW: Where can I find the PCV valve on this motor. Haven't bought my manual yet. Thanks!

Bikeman982

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm keeping a close eye on it anyway because I have a small oil leak going.

I spend some time on

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com and the guys there swear by this product http://www.auto-rx.com

I used this on a 98 Integra with 100K+ miles with great results.

My "new" corolla seems to run very strong but a look under the oil cap shows the motor was abused. A bunch of sludge and varnish. I bought two bottles of autorx and will be running two applications. I'll let you know how it goes.

BTW: Where can I find the PCV valve on this motor. Haven't bought my manual yet. Thanks!

The PCV is usually on the intake manifold and is connected to a hose. That's where it is on the 7th generation Corollas. I am not sure about the 8th.

Fat tube on the right side of oil cap, towards the firewall side of the engine

Just got 385 miles on a tank of gas. I'm sure this is nothing unusual but its beautiful for me as a new Corola owner default_ph34r

Bikeman982

Just got 385 miles on a tank of gas. I'm sure this is nothing unusual but its beautiful for me as a new Corola owner default_ph34r
Welcome to the world of better gas mileage.

May you have many happy miles!

your library may have chiltons book for you to borrow. Thats how I got mine to fix my 05 corolla

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)