Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Front Wheels Are Stuck

by baist111, November 17, 2007

Anyone have any good trick to removing a front wheel that is stuck.

I took the 4 lug nuts off but the wheel won't come off.

BTW - 95 Geo Prism

A quick trick - back the lug nuts off a few turns, but completely off - the car is sitting flat on the ground. Then rock the car from side to side to help break any corrosion that may have formed between the bug and wheel. Jack the car up, remove the lugs and see if the wheel comes off now.

i've used a 4x4 post as a battering ram on the tire/wheel to hit it hard. also try soaking the hub to wheel mating surface with penetrating oil and heating the wheel with a bathroom heater.

Bikeman982

I take all the lug nuts off, then sit on the ground in front of the tire and kick it around the edges until it rocks off the hub.

It works pretty good and I never had a tire that didn't come off.

Just be sure to have the car blocked and secured. Have the emergency brake on and blocks or jack stands.

You don't want the car to fall while you kick it.

Hope this helps.

K_Watson

Take a 4x4 Jeep, hook a 10,000 lb rated chain to the tow hitch or frame, hook the other end into a hole on the rim and gun the Jeep.... Just kidding.

Seriously, I had the same problem, but with the rotor. We hit that rotor with a mallet on the face, the edge, everywhere we could hit it, but it would not come off. I sprayed it with penetrating oil, let it sit for 10 min, tapped it with the rubber mallet and off it came.

Bikeman982

Take a 4x4 Jeep, hook a 10,000 lb rated chain to the tow hitch or frame, hook the other end into a hole on the rim and gun the Jeep.... Just kidding.

Seriously, I had the same problem, but with the rotor. We hit that rotor with a mallet on the face, the edge, everywhere we could hit it, but it would not come off. I sprayed it with penetrating oil, let it sit for 10 min, tapped it with the rubber mallet and off it came.

Get the big hammer.

thanks guys... I had this problem with an older subaru that I had, and I just took my extra jack, and wedge it between the wheel well and the wheel, and after I started to open it, it just popped right off. Obviously I didn't have such luck with this one.

I'll let you know how it goes... or if I have to tie the tire to my truck and pull... HAHAHA default_laugh

Bikeman982

thanks guys... I had this problem with an older subaru that I had, and I just took my extra jack, and wedge it between the wheel well and the wheel, and after I started to open it, it just popped right off. Obviously I didn't have such luck with this one.

I'll let you know how it goes... or if I have to tie the tire to my truck and pull... HAHAHA default_laugh

Just use the big hammer!!

Topic List