Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Tires For My Project Car

by Bikeman982, November 16, 2007

See every reply in these pages:

Bikeman982

I want to replace all the different tires on my project car with new ones.

I have started searching for the size and type that would be best.

Checking around I found the Walmart site and came up with some inexpensive tires.

They are Goodyear Viva 2 - on sale for $40 each. I think that is a great price.

I would have put on 185/65 - 14, but the standard size is 175/65R - 14, so that is what I ordered.

Anyone familiar with this tire??

K_Watson

They are a Wal-Mart exclusive tire, probably for a reason. They probably had Goodyear make it as cheaply as possible. Wal-Mart is notorious for doing that, usually with bad results.

Go with a tire that is available at more reputable places. I have Kumho Powerstar's on my Prizm They were about the same price and so far with 8,000 miles on them, still look almost new.

Bikeman982

Are they Powerstar 758's?

I checked on the Kumho website and they are $49 each - plus shipping.

They are probably better tires, but I just want some that are cheap but look good, to sell.

The ones from Walmart are on sale and the shipping is free (they send them to the local store).

K_Watson

Are they Powerstar 758's?I checked on the Kumho website and they are $49 each - plus shipping.

They are probably better tires, but I just want some that are cheap but look good, to sell.

The ones from Walmart are on sale and the shipping is free (they send them to the local store).

Yes they are PS 758's... Try a local tire store, see if they would be willing to work with you on the price. The place I went to did. (Discount Tire)

Mention that you fix up cars and sell them, and offer to come to them for your tires. They will likely cut you a break, if not this time maybe next time.

Bikeman982

Are they Powerstar 758's?I checked on the Kumho website and they are $49 each - plus shipping.

Yes they are PS 758's... Try a local tire store, see if they would be willing to work with you on the price. The place I went to did. (Discount Tire)

Mention that you fix up cars and sell them, and offer to come to them for your tires. They will likely cut you a break, if not this time maybe next time.

There are three local tire stores - Schwab Tire Center, Aegean Tires, and Petrillos Tires.

You think one of them will make me a deal that is better than Walmart?

I know they will mount and balance for free, that's for tires purchased from them.

I don't need the long-term free service, since I will be selling the car with the tires on it.

K_Watson

There are three local tire stores - Schwab Tire Center, Aegean Tires, and Petrillos Tires.

I know they will mount and balance for free, that's for tires purchased from them.

I don't need the long-term free service, since I will be selling the car with the tires on it.

Never heard of those places.

It never hurts to ask. I know a few guys through work that do this all the time. Talk to the manager, tell them you fix up cars and sell them, you won't need a warrenty, and you will be back to get tires from them for your future projects. They may not give you a deal this time, but if you come back again, and ask again, they will be far more likely to give you a deal then. Try and get that from Wal-Mart default_laugh

Bikeman982

Never heard of those places.

It never hurts to ask. I know a few guys through work that do this all the time. Talk to the manager, tell them you fix up cars and sell them, you won't need a warrenty, and you will be back to get tires from them for your future projects. They may not give you a deal this time, but if you come back again, and ask again, they will be far more likely to give you a deal then. Try and get that from Wal-Mart default_laugh

Those places are local to me.

I will ask to see what kind of a deal I can get. I have already purchased several tires from each place, but it still does not add up to much.

Walmart won't give me a deal, just some cheap tires.

Bikeman982

I will check to see where my son got the new tires he put on his car.

They are Hancook Optimo H727 185/65R-14.

They look great and seem to last a long time.

I know he purchased them locally and I will probably get the same.

Bikeman982

How do I get out of buying the Walmart tires I ordered online?

They are supposed to phone me when they get to the local store.

If I never go to pick them up, will they charge my credit card?

Online they were not supposed to bill me - not until I came to pick them up.

I would not want to go by their return policy - I think they charge a re-stocking fee.

Can I tell them I just don't want them and not get charged?

I would rather have a more reliable brand, even if it costs more.

You probably need to go back and read the policy for buying the tires. Wal-mart might let you get out of it just because you can return anything to wal-mart.

When it comes to tires, it isn't a good ideal to get the cheapest tire. At least hit up a online store with reviews first. Sometimes the unknown brand does pretty good, but the stock good years on our car was a joke and they cost a lot to replace. I'd hate to think what a cheap good year is like. Unless it is a rebaged german and japanese tire that is actually decent, I'd not even bother putting then on your car.

Also, wal-mart tire shops are the lowest of the low when it comes to useful mechanics.

I would personally recommend some high performance all season tires. In 175 size, Sumitomo HTR H4's cost only $49. In the 185 size, they are only $4 more. These sumitomos are probably the best bang for the buck you can get, at least judging by tirerack.com's reviews.

You could also go for the ones I have on my car, 185/65 Yokohama AVID H4S. They cost $59 per tire, but I guarentee you that they will perform superb. I've had a wonderful experience with these tires in every condition you can think of from hard driving sharp turns and sudden braking, to severe snow storms and black ice.

Bikeman982

I will see if I can get out of buying the Walmart tires and get some like my sons.

They probably cost about $50 - $55 a tire, but will be better than the cheap ones.

Right now I am looking thru the local papers for a sale on some (normally) expensive tires.

Bikeman982

I got a couple of rims (with tires that are not too good) from a '95 Corolla at the local junkyard.

I plan on getting the new tires and mounting them on these rims.

My project car was parked (before I bought it) in S. Sac. and the wheels were stolen.

The previous owner put the little donut wheels on it.

the 2 corolla tire sizes that come stock are P175/70R14 and P185/65R14. just keep that in mind since sometimes they have sales on odd sizes.

Bikeman982

the 2 corolla tire sizes that come stock are P175/70R14 and P185/65R14. just keep that in mind since sometimes they have sales on odd sizes.
Which size is better? I am leaning towards the P185/70R14, since I like the width and profile best.

My friend at Midas can get tires for me at wholesale, but he only has the P195's. I think that would be too big.

He is still looking for the P185's.

Bikeman982

There are 4 tires being sold locally by a private individual.

They are Hercules MRX Plus IV. Came off a Honda Accord.

Anybody know if that is a good brand??

Bikeman982

I will be going to check out the Hercules tires after work today.

Hercules was a local brand tire in Findlay, Ohio - markets tires under the Hercules, Merit, Signet, and Superior brand names and usually distributes then under the tire retailer, TWD - which I think was absorbed by another company recently. Not the best tire - but better than the lowend, discounted "major" label tires.

Bikeman982

Hercules was a local brand tire in Findlay, Ohio - markets tires under the Hercules, Merit, Signet, and Superior brand names and usually distributes then under the tire retailer, TWD - which I think was absorbed by another company recently. Not the best tire - but better than the lowend, discounted "major" label tires.
Thanks. I checked them out online and it seems like one of the brands made by "Cooper".

I could not find a price (for comparison) for the size I am going to look at, so I believe I will get them fairly cheap.

As long as the remaining tread is sufficient (and they have not been sold already), I will buy four for $95.

I have a friend who works at Midas and he will mount and balance them for free (I buy lunch).

More to follow.

Bikeman982

Went to look at the tires - the tread looked good - fairly new tires.

Bought four for $90.00. I think that is a good deal.

Now I have to bring some rims (with worn tires) to my friend to get these put on.

Pictures -

Bikeman982

Walmart called today and the tires I ordered came in.

Can I just ignore them (and hope they go away), or do I need to call them and tell them I don't want them now?

Will the charge my credit card if I don't call them back?

Should I go pick them up and then try to bring them back??

What's the best way to not pay for them??

Walmart called today and the tires I ordered came in.Can I just ignore them (and hope they go away), or do I need to call them and tell them I don't want them now?

Go to walmart.com and try and find the policy on that. At worst, you might have to pay a 15% restocking fee. Sprawmart is usually a easy company to return things to. Since they aren't installed yet, you might not have to pay. I would call them tho. They probably WON'T go away.

You could try and find some online reviews. If they are lousy, or unsafe tires, you could try and pitch that if they want to try and charge your card.

Since last Christmas, a lot of retailers have penalty's for returning items. Customs orders are the worst. In the future, try and make sure you really want what you order. You shouldn't be stuck with the whole bill, but you should at least expect to pay a restocking fee. If anyone is going to let it slide, it would be stupid mart.

Bikeman982

Walmart called today and the tires I ordered came in.Can I just ignore them (and hope they go away), or do I need to call them and tell them I don't want them now?

Go to walmart.com and try and find the policy on that. At worst, you might have to pay a 15% restocking fee. Sprawmart is usually a easy company to return things to. Since they aren't installed yet, you might not have to pay. I would call them tho. They probably WON'T go away.

You could try and find some online reviews. If they are lousy, or unsafe tires, you could try and pitch that if they want to try and charge your card.

Since last Christmas, a lot of retailers have penalty's for returning items. Customs orders are the worst. In the future, try and make sure you really want what you order. You shouldn't be stuck with the whole bill, but you should at least expect to pay a restocking fee. If anyone is going to let it slide, it would be stupid mart.

I will go to Walmart on Monday and tell them I don't want the tires.

The reason I don't want them is due to bad reviews I read after I ordered them.

I would hate to have to pay any penalty. I think they should just put them out for someone else to buy.

They are cheap to afford and someone else may not care if they are not the best tires.

Bikeman982

Pictures -

Today I took two of the Hercules MRX Plus IV tires and mounted them on two rims I got at the local junkyard ($5 each).

I put them on the rear of the project car.

The tire size is P185/70R14. I have two more tires, but need at least one more rim.

I have another tire (with good tread) mounted on a rim, but it has no matching tire.

Once I get another rim, I will mount the other two Hercules tires.

the odometer in the cluter i bought (wanted a tach) had 252 thousand on it. 1/4 of a million miles. thats alot!

Topic List