Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Rear Engine Mount Replacement

by tab75, November 12, 2007

'95 Prizm. I now know the mount is bad and am trying to decide if I want to replace it myself or pay to have it done. I purchased the mount but after reviewing the tech manual it seems quite involved to remove and replace the mount Does anybody have any recommendations? If you did it yourself, how did you go about it?

Thanks!!

You can do it yourself - but like you said, it is quite involved. If you have an extra jack around - you could probably work something out. The rear mount is also the toughest one to line up correctly (trickly to work the center through bolt).

To pull the old one off - remove the through–bolt holding the rear mounting insulator to the mounting bracket. There should be 2 hole covers, 5 bolts, and 4 nuts on the - loosening the bolts and nuts will loosen the center member, but it shouldn't fall out completely. Installation is reverse of this. I left out all the swearing parts along the way default_biggrin.

A good shop should be able to do this with no problems fairly inexpensively. They have access to tools and equipment that the average DIY does not. A good experience - depends on how you feel about it.

Good Luck.

Bikeman982

I purchased an engine hoist from Kragen Auto Parts for $150.00.

I also have a 2-ton floor jack that I use.

I have changed engines, transmissions and of course, mounts.

Easier to do with the correct tools (and a friend to help position the mount bolt).

Certainly not a fun job as everyting is very tight in that area, but I was able to do mine with just ordinary hand tools, and a small jack and block of wood to support the weight of the engine when the mount is removed and lot of aggrevation.

Bikeman982

Certainly not a fun job as everyting is very tight in that area, but I was able to do mine with just ordinary hand tools, and a small jack and block of wood to support the weight of the engine when the mount is removed and lot of aggrevation.
Definitely aggravating.

It takes patience to move things around and get the old mount removed and another in.

Topic List