Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2003 - New Noise

By burnt03, November 5, 2007

Took a trip with the car, have a new noise.

Intermittent. Sort of a whirring, seems to be coming from the front drivers side.

Only hear it when I'm on the gas. Goes away if I take my foot off.

Crappy description, but any ideas?

Thanks!

Bikeman982

Intermittent. Sort of a whirring, seems to be coming from the front drivers side.

Thanks!

I had similar noise from the front end on my project car.

I changed both front wheel hub and bearings, the noise is gone now.

Thanks!

I had similar noise from the front end on my project car.

I changed both front wheel hub and bearings, the noise is gone now.

Serpentine belt & tensioner are common issues with 2003. New tensioner has been released. There is a TSB your dealer can access. Had it done on extended warranty.

Thanks!

Need a bit more info to be sure. Automatic or manual transaxle? Get any clunking noise from the drivetrain if you quickly step on and off the gas? Does the noise change if you turn left or right? Happens at a certain speed? What happens to the noise if you shift into neutral - without and with gas? Do you hear the noise if the car is parked and you rev the engine or only when moving?

As is often the case, a lot of important information has been omitted from the original posting. How many miles are on the car? Is the noise observed under all driving conditions and speed ranges, or at all times when under acceleration? Does it whistle like air blowing over something, or does it have a sound like something in contact with a rapidly rotating object? Did it start suddenly and apparently without any attributable cause, or did it start after performing some sort of maintenance procedure? More information, please!

As is often the case, a lot of important information has been omitted from the original posting. How many miles are on the car? Is the noise observed under all driving conditions and speed ranges, or at all times when under acceleration? Does it whistle like air blowing over something, or does it have a sound like something in contact with a rapidly rotating object? Did it start suddenly and apparently without any attributable cause, or did it start after performing some sort of maintenance procedure? More information, please!

Approximately 130,000km

Noise is intermittent. Doesn't matter what speed or driving conditions, will just happen once in a while. Noticed today that it'll stop under braking though.

Not whistling, more like whirring. First thought was brakes dragging or wheel bearing but wasn't sure. Felt the wheel/hub for temp after driving for about an hour today, no different than other side.

I believe it started after putting the winter tires back on (not sure, I'm not the one that normally drives it). And no, it's not the different tread that I'm hearing.

Will have some time this weekend to pull the wheels off and see if anything is obvious

Bikeman982

If it is a "whirring" noise, chances are it has something to do with a part that rotates as you drive, such as the CV joint, drive shaft, wheel beering, etc.

K_Watson

Does your car make the noise even when stopped? Try parking it and giving it a small amount of gas and see if it makes the noise.

My car has a similar whirring noise part of which I have traced to the power steering pump. Go to an auto parts store and get a mechanics stethoscope and try to find the source.

Serpentine belt & tensioner are common issues with 2003. New tensioner has been released. There is a TSB your dealer can access. Had it done on extended warranty.

Hi Bob- can you please give me the info on the tensioner TSB as mine is leaking oil from the rubber boot with only 22500 mi. on the car! My powertrain warranty, which is about to expire, "does not cover this part" per the local Toyota dealer. THANKS!

friendly_jacek

Hi Bob- can you please give me the info on the tensioner TSB as mine is leaking oil from the rubber boot with only 22500 mi. on the car! My powertrain warranty, which is about to expire, "does not cover this part" per the local Toyota dealer. THANKS!

When I had this same problem, the dealer refused to do the TSB under the powertrain warranty. I ended up replacing the tensioner and belt myself at the cost of $75 (parts).

TSB issued 4/17/2007 EG021-07

Some 1ZZ-FE and 2ZZ-GE engines may exhibit a squealing and/or rattling noise coming from the engine compartment during vehicle operation. The belt tensioner assembly has been improved to correct this condition.

Covered on 3/36 warranty only.

My Toyota extended warranty covered tensioner (leaking like yours). I had to pay part cost only for belt.

Dealer can print TSB for you.

So far, so good.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)