Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Guest smichaeld

Just got a look at the '09 Matrix and I'm extremely disappointed. Why is Toyota trying to out-Mazda the Mazda? This looks like a sexier version of the Mazda 3. Not very innovative, if you ask me. And the '09 Corolla's not much better. I'm quite happy with my '07 Matrix.

Nice going, Toyota. You've f***'d up the Camry, the Tundra, the Highlander, and now the Corolla/Matrix. WTF?

Just like your a-hole, everyone has a opinion.

I think the newer ones look better. I like that Toyota is putting the more powerful 2.4 in things other then the Camry. Sometimes, 1.8l just isn't enough.

With the price of oil just shy of $100 a barrel, VWs TDi might just tip our scales. I'd prolly spend more money on the car just to spite oil as much as I can. Next year I want to sell my Mustang and find a 04 or older TDi and do the whole bio-diesel thing. I met a local car guy who does all that. He has three converted cars/truck.

With the new Corollas/Matrixes tipping the scales at over 2800 lbs, you bet they need to increase the displacement. If the Corollas still weighed a little as they did in the past, a 1.8 would be more than enough. I just wish they would update the 2.4 with dual vvt-i. The engine is a outdated for its power vs displacement. The new Accord's 2.4L makes 177 HP and gets better fuel efficiency. The Altima's 2.5L makes 175 HP.

As for the redesign, I don't understand why you hate them so much. I suppose its all personal taste. I think the new lineup is much better than a few years ago. I didn't care much for the 5th gen Camry 02-06 design, it just felt kind of dull. The same thing with the 2nd gen Avalon 00-04 (aka old man river) The new Camry and Avalon look pretty cool, especially with the V6's dual exhaust. The Tundra is a truck, and trucks have no style. The new Highlander looks almost the exact same as the old one. As for the new Corolla, I think the styling is very nice. It makes it look much more muscular and sporty. Too bad that's all its got, looks. With only 132 HP on 2800 lbs, ts going to be way underpowered unless you get an XRS.

• 1,424 posts

I personally don't like the new Corolla or Matrix.

Having put approximately 20k on a '04 Mazda3s, I find the new Corolla / Matrix to be underpowered according to the specs and looking at the pics, they have none of the sexy lines or "neat factor" that the Mazda3s has. The car also seems lacking compared to the Civic.

Is the new Corolla / Matrix an improvement over the current models? Most certainly. Is it a class leader in my eyes? Most definitely not, it is more like middle of the pack, not tops in performance, fuel economy, looks or feature content.

I personally don't like the new Corolla or Matrix.

Having put approximately 20k on a '04 Mazda3s, I find the new Corolla / Matrix to be underpowered according to the specs and looking at the pics, they have none of the sexy lines or "neat factor" that the Mazda3s has. The car also seems lacking compared to the Civic.

Is the new Corolla / Matrix an improvement over the current models? Most certainly. Is it a class leader in my eyes? Most definitely not, it is more like middle of the pack, not tops in performance, fuel economy, looks or feature content.

One car can't do it all. The thing that tipped the scales for us on the Corolla was the overall price, and the EPA ratings. We also needed something that would just work, cause our last car failed pretty bad at that.

I do think Toyota is going to shoot themselves in the foot if they can't lower the cost of the Corolla. The whole reason we got a Corolla over a Civic was because of the cost.

A 05 Corolla LE 5sp final sticker price (with all fees) was $15,800 Today, the same car is $16,500. I don't know if we walked in the dealer on a good day or what, but with a $500 rebate, we were able to get our car for 14K even out the door. With todays popularity of the car and gas prices, I think it would be a neat trick to get a 08 CE out the door for 14K even.

We had a few friends and family members who were interested in a Corolla after seeing our car. We told them how much we spent, and told them that they probably couldn't get it for that, but to not get racked over the coals. They told us that they looked at barely used ones and the sales guy laughed at them when they made offers on them. They couldn't even get a used one for as little as we got a new one.

So, if Toyota is going to price the Corolla on par with more fun cars, then ya, I don't see why anyone would buy one. I know if we were in the market for a car today, I don't see any reason why a Corolla would win against other cars on the market. In 05, it did. Prices were much lower then a Civic, they had a sumer rebate going on, and we some how got a really good deal. I don't think those events could ever be repeated again.

With all new powertrain and complete redesign in the works for '09. I'd surely pass on that car until the kinks arise and are worked out.

Even Toyota is prone to first year bugs. My early 03 CE had many annoying design flaws. My son's 03 was bought 6 months later and had only the sulphur farts problem.

Consumer Reports recently downgraded the Camry because of a new auto trans. Wonder how the CVT will do in 09. I won't be the first to find out.

Bikeman982

My wife got the Mazda3 because she liked it better than the Matrix.

Toyota lost out on that deal.

seems the same lack of leg room and short steering wheels, great if you want to

have a back problem as you get older.

or if you are a chimpanzee.

I'd go with a honda.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla Matrix