Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By K_Watson, October 28, 2007

See every reply in these pages:

K_Watson

My 98 has has this whining sound coming from the engine bay since I got it. Having never driven another 1zz-fe car I don't know what they should sound like.

Ignore the smoke I was running SeaFoam through it.

I've some whining noise from the engine bay in both of my cars - but nothing to the level of that, especially if you are that far away from the car - whing like that under the hood I can understand, but ~10-15 feet away ???.

Sounds like gear whine or a supercharger under there. If I had to guess - I would say it sounds like the oil pump or some other accessory (powersteering, alternator, etc.) making the whine - though, the oil pump more so on engines running much heavier engine oil weights than spec'd (ie, 20W oils). I doubt it is valvetrain whine, though it is possible.

Are you running all stock components? Anything aftermarket - pulleys, intake, etc.?

K_Watson

I don't know if it matters, but the hood is up, it was cold out, and the camera has a sensitive mic. But it is a noticeable whine. Bought the car used with 82k miles so I have no idea what's been replaced and what has not. It does sound like a supercharger whine, but it's not. I will try to get a better video closer to the engine and with out the wind.

Bikeman982

Sounds like typical engine noise. There is always some belt noise, as well as the rotating parts making noise.

You have alternator, power steering pump, A/C compressor, crankshaft, water pump, etc. Doesn't sound bad enough to be dangerous.

All cars make some noise and unless it sounds really bad or abnormal, it is probably harmless.

It is when it gets real loud or sounds like something is going bad that it becomes a concern.

K_Watson

I have a Gatorback on there so there should be minimal belt noise. I am going the try a mechanics stethoscope to try and pinpoint the whine. I am hoping it's something replaceable.

It does sound a bit louder than normal. Even with a cold start, my engine doesn't get that lound or whine. You have to really rev up my engine to get it to speak, and it usually gives a nice growl, not a whine (I'm not ashamed to admit I talk to my car default_laugh ).

My girlfriend has a 98 corolla with 114k and it does not sound like that, whether it's a warm or cold start.

I know on GM cars, they have a whining sound similar to yours and it's typically the power steering pump. When it's replaced, the whining is gone.

Bikeman982

Let us know what you detect with the stethoscope.

I didn't read the post here until after clicking the link in the Seafoam Questions post, and the first thing that sprang to my mind watching the video is that sounds pretty much like my 2000CE. A little louder maybe, but I attributed that to the microphone.

I bought mine new and its always sounded similar to this when I rev it up good while parked. I've always thought it was a bit loud, but I figured it was just the nature of the beast. IE: an economy car.

Jim

K_Watson

A co-worker of mine, who was a mechanic for years, rode with me today and listened to the car. He said the noise is coming from the the front pump of the transmission. He says the reason it sounds like that is because the fluid is either old and worn out or is really low quality, or both. He recommended draining the fluid in the trans pan, refilling it with quality fluid, driving for a few weeks, then doing it again. Then the noise should be quieter or gone all together.

He also said the ticking noise I thought was lifter tap is actually spark knock. I currently have Autolite single platinums in there, which he says may be too hot for the engine. So I am going to put NGK dual ground copper plugs in there, like the ones the car came with. (NGK BKR5EKB-11) Hopefully that will fix it.

K_Watson

Plugs are in. The spark knock is pretty much gone, but I think I can still hear a little. But I may be imagining it. The Autolites I took out had a white residue on the ground electrodes, which is a sign of running to hot. Hopefully I have fixed the knocking problem.

Any chance that you could snap some pics of the old plugs and post them? How long have those original replacement plugs been running on the car?

As for the white residue, that does not necessarily mean there is a plug temp issue - as normal combustion process and additives in gas will have a white residue that will stick to plugs. Even if there are shiny bits of metal (plug will sparkle like a diamond) indicating detonation (knocking) issues - which could have been caused by too hot of a plug, but not always. You can usually tell if a plug is running too cold by certain deposits - a plug that is too hot is nearly impossible to call just by looking at deposits.

A better way to tell if a plug is too hot or too cold is looking at the ground strap portion. As the plug operates at temp - there will be a distinct band of coloration on the ground electrode. Sort of like heating a bar of metal at one end and getting that tell-tale rainbow coloration. If the coloring of the ground strap changes too close to the ground strap's end (portion sitting right above the center electrode) then the plug is too cold. If the coloring of the strap changes near where it is welded/attached to the base ring (close to the threads of the plug) then the plug is too hot.

The correct heat range is generally had when the coloration is at the half-way point on the strap - plug is neither too cold or too hot, just right.

K_Watson

Pic

The plugs in the pic were only in there for a few thousand miles.

Plugs were marked as i pulled them out, and I lined them up as they were in the engine. (The one in the top left was is the cylinder on passenger side, the one on the bottom was in the drivers side cylinder.)

Thanks. WOW! Temperature wise, the plugs look correct, even coating of deposits, good solid coloration of the base of the plug. But for only being run for a few thousand miles, they already look like they had 30K put on them!! Though it might be just an illusion from this angle.

I have always been a little bit disappointed with the sound my 2000 Corolla's 1zz-fe engine makes. To me, it sounds a little like a Waring blender next to our '97 Prizm with the 7a-fe engine in it, but, other than the noise, it runs great! It uses no oil and has excellent acceleration!! So, in short, I have come to learn to live with the somewhat extra noise it makes!!

I listened to your Prizm on You Tube as well and to me, the noises it makes sound pretty much normal. It might be slighly louder than most others, but, I don't think there is anything wrong other than maybe some wear and tear on some moving parts, but, that's just my opinion......

Whatever it turns out to be, I wish you good luck with it!!

regards,

timkedz

Just a quick note.

I listened to it again and it almost sounds like the power steering pump. I think someone else already mentioned that though.

Best regards,

timkedz

K_Watson

Just a quick note.

I listened to it again and it almost sounds like the power steering pump. I think someone else already mentioned that though.

Best regards,

timkedz

I used a mechanics stethoscope and the power steering pump does seem like the source of the noise.

The more I listen to it, the more I agree. Actually, it's really not all that bad. When they get really bad, they can wail like a banchee!!! I know it sucks though, when you have to listen to a noise your not normally used to hearing.......

Ford's are good for power steering noise, but, this is the first time I've heard a Prizm/Corolla do it.........

By the way, the YouTube thing was a pretty good idea. I think I may post one of my car as well!

regards,

timkedz

Bikeman982

It is not too hard to change the power steering pump.

Just be sure and bleed the fluid system, so there is no air in the lines.

Similar to bleeding the brakes to get air out.

K_Watson

It is not too hard to change the power steering pump.Just be sure and bleed the fluid system, so there is no air in the lines.

Yeah, it doesn't look hard but the pump is a little pricey.

Bikeman982

It is not too hard to change the power steering pump.Just be sure and bleed the fluid system, so there is no air in the lines.

Yeah, it doesn't look hard but the pump is a little pricey.

If it is the same as a 7th generation power steering pump, I have an extra used one in my yard.

Let me know.

K_Watson

According to Autozone.com they are different. Thanks though.

Bikeman982

Ok - just trying to help.

Maybe you can find another used one?

Usually cheaper than new and can often last just as long.

K_Watson

I'm going to call a few yards next week and see what they want for one. If it's too much I may just live with the noise for now.

Bikeman982

I'm going to call a few yards next week and see what they want for one. If it's too much I may just live with the noise for now.

Good idea - can't cost as much as a new one.

Topic List