Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Not Your Typical Corolla

By Dan{T.O.O}, October 25, 2007

This clip is from Top Gear. Its a great show, but a little hard to come by here in the states, unless you got BBC for America (I recently got it part of my cable package). This isn't the 1st time the Veyron was on Top gear. The season before this clip, Clarkson tried to race the Veyron against an airplane across Europe. Since he had to go by the traffic laws, he lost, but technically this car could race an airplane (though it would be refueling every 50 miles).

As impressed as I am with its top speed, thats all this car has. If you compare it to other super cars, it doesnt measure up. Bugatti refused to allow Top Gear to race it on their track because they fear it will lose against cars that cost a fraction of its $1 million price tag. Performance wise, the Corvette Z06 did the best bang-for-the-buck, making a time of 1:22.4, beating out supercars like the Zonda, Mercialago, Ferrari F430 F1, and the Audi R8, all of these cars costing at least double the Corvette.

here's a list of the cars they've tested so far:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Laps

The Corvette really is quite a car for the money. I believe it quite regularly gets top billing for best "bang for the buck".

This clip is from Top Gear. Its a great show, but a little hard to come by here in the states, unless you got BBC for America (I recently got it part of my cable package). This isn't the 1st time the Veyron was on Top gear. The season before this clip, Clarkson tried to race the Veyron against an airplane across Europe. Since he had to go by the traffic laws, he lost, but technically this car could race an airplane (though it would be refueling every 50 miles).

As impressed as I am with its top speed, thats all this car has. If you compare it to other super cars, it doesnt measure up. Bugatti refused to allow Top Gear to race it on their track because they fear it will lose against cars that cost a fraction of its $1 million price tag. Performance wise, the Corvette Z06 did the best bang-for-the-buck, making a time of 1:22.4, beating out supercars like the Zonda, Mercialago, Ferrari F430 F1, and the Audi R8, all of these cars costing at least double the Corvette.

Another nice thing about the Corvette, while not exactly a concern when your talking about $60,000+ supercars, is its decent fuel efficiency compared to these other supercars. The Corvette Z06 gets 16 MPG city, 26 highway. For a car that does 0-60 in 3.4 seconds and has a top speed of 195, thats pretty damn good MPG. About the only thing that can do better are the ultralight cars like the Lotus Elise or the one Clarkson tested a while back (beating a motorbike), the ATOM. If you all liked the clip of the Bugatti Veyron, you'll absolutely love this clip:

If I could choose any car I wanted, I would buy this beast. 600 HP per ton and 0-60 in 2.9 seconds! (if you can shift fast enough). It did the track faster than Murciélago LP640.

Bikeman982

Another nice thing about the Corvette, while not exactly a concern when your talking about $60,000+ supercars, is its decent fuel efficiency compared to these other supercars. The Corvette Z06 gets 16 MPG city, 26 highway. For a car that does 0-60 in 3.4 seconds and has a top speed of 195, thats pretty damn good MPG. About the only thing that can do better are the ultralight cars like the Lotus Elise or the one Clarkson tested a while back (beating a motorbike), the ATOM. If you all liked the clip of the Bugatti Veyron, you'll absolutely love this clip:

Definitely has some accelleration and speed!

It would be hard to take the family with you.

• 1,424 posts
It would be hard to take the family with you.

Yes, but if you are young, single and don't drive with anyone other than yourself 95% of the time, a 2 seater like a Miata, Z4, 350 Z or Corvette is not really a problem.

2 seat cars are nice for a couple of reasons:

1) No one asks you for a ride, which keeps the inside of your car clean

2) 2 seat cars are sexy and project an image of success.

3) All your friends who married young and had kids are jealous that you can drive a fun and sexy 2 seater when they're stuck with a family sedan whose main

goal in life is to get good fuel economy and hold 3 car seats in the back, or worse yet a minivan which is default_sad .

Technically, the Corvette and 350z are 2+2 seaters, if you can call their rear benches "seats".

• 1,424 posts
Technically, the Corvette and 350z are 2+2 seaters, if you can call their rear benches "seats".

No, technically for a car to be a 2+2 it must have a rear seat with seatbelts. The seat is small and useless but it must be able to legally carry a passenger.

My neighbor has a 1987 Jaguar XJS V12 Cabriolet. His is a 2 seater, even though the space behind the front seat (upholstered and fitted with metal bars for holding down luggage) is certainly big enough to be a rather large rear seat. You could buy the XJS with a actual seat with seatbelts in the back and then the car carried the 2+2 designation.

The Lexus SC430, Porsche 911, and the Jag XK8 are 2+2 cars, having four seats with the back seats being suitable only for small dogs and shopping bags.

The Corvette and 350Z with only two seats should not be described as 2+2 cars, neither should the Porsche Boxter or Cayman. Not being described as a 2+2 is especially important for the Boxter and Corvette and 350Z convertibles. If you have even been in a Boxter, Corvette or 350Z convertible, you would know that they have a bulkhead directly behind the front seats which completely separates the cabin from the cargo area (which is completely different from their coupe counterparts) meaning that there is no "rear bench" that one could even be tempted to use as a seat.

no, james may and richard hammond were in the cessna aeroplane and they lost. They were about to win but delays earlier on (eg. didn't have clearance to fly ove the alps, had to go around them by the south of france) meant they had to fly into the night which was a problem for james, the pilot, didn't have clearance to fly at night - had to land the plane near calais and go to london on the train. Plane should have won but on the day it didn't.

Top Gear has many interesting challenges. A funny one they tried was to get some 70s supercars for 10000 pounds, and complete a 150 mile trip. None made it, on two cars the electrics failed and on another there was a spectacular engine failure.

Bikeman982

<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Laps" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Laps</a>

no, james may and richard hammond were in the cessna aeroplane and they lost. They were about to win but delays earlier on (eg. didn't have clearance to fly ove the alps, had to go around them by the south of france) meant they had to fly into the night which was a problem for james, the pilot, didn't have clearance to fly at night - had to land the plane near calais and go to london on the train. Plane should have won but on the day it didn't.

Top Gear has many interesting challenges. A funny one they tried was to get some 70s supercars for 10000 pounds, and complete a 150 mile trip. None made it, on two cars the electrics failed and on another there was a spectacular engine failure.

The car goes thru gas and tires faster than I eat a bag of potato chips!

The corvette only has two seats. Not even pretend seats in the back. It is a true coupe.

<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Laps" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Laps</a>

And the kicker is, a set of tires for the Bugatti costs as much as a new Corolla. $17,000. Featuring a special rubber compound custom developed by Michelin to handle the heat from 200 mph runs. And if you want new wheels to go with those tires, that's another $43,000. default_blink

Bikeman982

And the kicker is, a set of tires for the Bugatti costs as much as a new Corolla. $17,000. Featuring a special rubber compound custom developed by Michelin to handle the heat from 200 mph runs. And if you want new wheels to go with those tires, that's another $43,000. default_blink

It certainly would be a great car for someone who has more money than they could spend!!

Since the Veyron has a $1 million sticker price, don't expect anyone outside of Newport and Hollywood driving them, which means prices are no concern. Nevermind the gas guzzling and tires/wheels, I don't want to know how much it would cost for me to insure this car.

Bikeman982

Since the Veyron has a $1 million sticker price, don't expect anyone outside of Newport and Hollywood driving them, which means prices are no concern. Nevermind the gas guzzling and tires/wheels, I don't want to know how much it would cost for me to insure this car.
You know what they say - "If you have to ask, then you can't afford it".

Topic List: Go to Everything Else