Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By Guest PeteCM, October 12, 2007 in Performance, Engines, Engine Swaps, Cornering

Guest PeteCM

Hi!

Im just wondering if its possible to swap in the 4th generation camry's v6 into an 8th generation corolla? after all the two cars are nearly identical, just the camry is bigger and wider. The engine and the engine bay looks almost the same as the corolla's one.

-- Pete C. M. --

Bikeman982

Hi!

Im just wondering if its possible to swap in the 4th generation camry's v6 into an 8th generation corolla? after all the two cars are nearly identical, just the camry is bigger and wider. The engine and the engine bay looks almost the same as the corolla's one.

-- Pete C. M. --

What is the engine identification?

Chances are the mounts are different.

Good luck trying to fit the 3.0L 1MZ-FE (and its tranny) into the puny bay of a Corolla.

Bikeman982

It will probably fit, but may require fabricating drive shafts and mounts.

You will also have to work out the differences in the electrical connections and ECU/ECM.

they fit in the 94-99 celicas just fine, corolla engine bay isnt much larger than the celica.

I'm surprised 6th gen Celicas would go for a 1MZFE when the 3SGE and the 4AGE are almost direct swaps for them.

As for this swap, it sounds feesible. Afterall, I've seen an 8th gen Corolla with a 3SGTE engine and those are completely unrelated engine families. The 8th gen Corolla's engine bay isn't that small. From looking at it right now with my stock engine, there's a lot of room both behind and on the sides. The most I would be worried about is mounting the V6 correctly. I would also suggest going with a limited slip differential. The 1MZ makes a lot of low-end torque like most Toyota engines (209 ft-lbs @ 4400). If you don't want to spend the extra money on an LSD, I suppose you could try opening up the exhaust to rob it of low end power, giving it more high end power. The one good thing about the engine is that its got an aluminum block, so it shouldn't weigh much more than the corolla's engine (maybe 75-100 lbs more).

actually the 1mzfe and 3mzfe arent much more work than the 3S swap since you're not plumbing all the turbo stuff. the mounts arent that far off either so theres not a hell of alot of fab. remember than the 5S and 1mz both came in the camry, so the mounting points are similar to the 5S celicas.

I would love to drop in the 3MZ or the new 2GR in my car, but it would just be overkill. 225 HP on a Corolla? Nevermind the horses, just look at the torque figures on that engine. 240 ft-lbs at just 3600 rpm! You definately need an LSD to control that; however, props to that guy for being able to cram that big V6 into his Celica. I love his quote, "It's big, it roars, it eats motor mounts for breakfast". default_laugh LOL

Personally for Pete CM's Corolla, I would suggest waiting for the new ZR engine family to come out. I'm particularly interested in the 2.0L 3ZR-FAE that's going to come out by 2010. It uses Toyota's new Valve timing system they've dubbed "Valvematic". The engine is going to make 155 HP and 144 ft-lbs (about 160HP and 148 ft-lbs by old SAE standards) and be just as fuel efficient as the current Corolla engine. Put this engine into an 8th gen Corolla and you'll probably return 0-60 times of low 7 seconds while not sacraficing MPG.

Guest jusdodat

yes you can but the camry and corolla have to be from the same year, remember camrys have 4cyl also the only difference is the mounts,buy a crashed camry from coparts.com everything you need is in it already, what you want to do has been done its very common in Puerto Rico, they put v6s in civics, mitsubishi mirages and other small cars from the bigger versions  

Topic List: Go to Performance, Engines, Engine Swaps, Cornering