Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2003 Rear Brakes

Guest 03corollin

Hello all,

One day my girlfriend decided to drive about 40-50 miles at highway speeds with the emergency brake on. I was in the car with her when she noticed that the brakes "didn't feel right". I got in the driver's seat and promptly disengaged the emergency brake, found a parking lot and adjusted the brakes back by driving in reverse and hitting the brakes. They came back and the braking felt fine (didn't have to push it to the floor). She's got over 100K on there and is hard on the brakes notwithstanding the previous story...

Recently we'd heard some not-so-nice sounds from the rear brakes so I figured I should go ahead and change the rear brake shoes. When I removed the drum I found a loose spring in the bottom and the adjuster lever which was now bent up and in two pieces. Drums look ok. So I ordered shoes and a "brake hardware kit" from the local not-so-advanced auto parts store; which they told me would have the lever and would cover both wheels. Picked it up today...no lever and only springs for one wheel. I've order another hardware kit, but they couldn't help me with the adjuster lever.

Anyone ever heard of a broken adjuster lever? Did I get on them too hard in reverse, when they were already really hot? Anyone have any ideas where I could get one? Do I have to go to a dealer? I spoke with them and they were most unhelpful and rude and would do anything to not give them my business (another reason I drive a Saturn default_ohmy ).

Thanks for your time!

Clay

Guest superdave

Hello all,

One day my girlfriend decided to drive about 40-50 miles at highway speeds with the emergency brake on. I was in the car with her when she noticed that the brakes "didn't feel right". I got in the driver's seat and promptly disengaged the emergency brake, found a parking lot and adjusted the brakes back by driving in reverse and hitting the brakes. They came back and the braking felt fine (didn't have to push it to the floor). She's got over 100K on there and is hard on the brakes notwithstanding the previous story...

Recently we'd heard some not-so-nice sounds from the rear brakes so I figured I should go ahead and change the rear brake shoes. When I removed the drum I found a loose spring in the bottom and the adjuster lever which was now bent up and in two pieces. Drums look ok. So I ordered shoes and a "brake hardware kit" from the local not-so-advanced auto parts store; which they told me would have the lever and would cover both wheels. Picked it up today...no lever and only springs for one wheel. I've order another hardware kit, but they couldn't help me with the adjuster lever.

Anyone ever heard of a broken adjuster lever? Did I get on them too hard in reverse, when they were already really hot? Anyone have any ideas where I could get one? Do I have to go to a dealer? I spoke with them and they were most unhelpful and rude and would do anything to not give them my business (another reason I drive a Saturn default_ohmy ).

Thanks for your time!

Clay

Your gf abuses the Corolla and its brakes that badly and you only have a lever to replace? Wow you should keep driving a Saturn! default_blink

Bikeman982

Normally the adjuster lever does not break and does not need replacement.

As far as I know, they are the same for many year models, so a junkyard would have one.

You could try an autoparts place as well for the specific part.

You can call www.1sttoyotaparts.com (Bob Bridge Toyota) for ordering info and friendly service. They do charge shipping though.

Pretty hard to believe that the brake adjuster broke - maybe the brakes got hot enough to soften the spring and it just fell off dropping the adjuster arm into the mix (happens every once in a while on my older cars - all drums brakes). I've gotten drums hot enough to warp pretty badly and burn up the linings - but never snapped an adjuster in half. Closest I got was chewing them up a little bit. Probably what happened in your case, was the brakes were pretty toasty and the springs were soften by the heat - if you got on the brakes hard enough, you could have shifted the shoes enough to pop the weaker springs off and had the adjuster arm pivot in the works. Just a matter of time before the arm got chewed up enough times to snap off at a weak spot. Having 100K miles on the clock, assuming original OEM brake hardware, and the daily driver that tends to be hard on brakes - just a matter of time before something like this will happen.

Anyway - I doubt you would be able to score many 2003+ Corollas at a salvage yard, though they do pop in there from time to time. Dealership is your best bet, as this would probably have to be specially ordered (rear drums are generally pretty trouble-free, except in instances similar to this).

Don't have to go to a local dealership - the link provided by BobLevine is real dealership that happens to sell OEM parts online, usually less than retail prices. Finding this locally at an auto parts store is hit or miss. Sometimes you get lucky - doesn't hurt to call around to ask. Other avenues are body shops and independant import repair garages - they would probably charge you retail prices plus markup - but they usually have a good line to get hard to find parts.

Good Luck.

Bikeman982

I could be wrong, but I don't think rear drum brakes have changed too much over the years.

Maybe an earlier year model brake adjuster would work for your car.

It might be cheaper to go to the local junkyard and try one from the latest model car they have.

Just a suggestion.

I know they have aftermarket brake adjuster kits for the 2002 Corolla and earlier - but not for the 2003+ Corollas (at least from my sources). The brake adjuster might be similar to earlier generations - like Bike mentioned - might get it to work. But I also know that the springs and the dimensions inside the drum brake are different between the two generations (ie. drums for a 2002 Celica, 2002 Corolla, 2003 Corolla, and 2003 Matrix are all different sizes - I researched this a while ago to do a 5-lug swap to my Corolla as well as a rear disc brake upgrade).

Guest 03corollin

Thanks for all the info! I ended up ordering one from another local dealership for $9.00, should be in this afternoon. I guess the price could have been worse... I couldn't find them from at the website provided, but will check there first next time I need something.

fishexpo101: I never thought that the spring could have loosened up due to the heat...That sounds more likely then it just breaking by itself.

Brakes were getting worn down a bit anyway, hopefully this brake job will last another 100,000 miles or so...

I post again if I find any more surprises. default_unsure

Thanks

Bikeman982

Thanks for all the info! I ended up ordering one from another local dealership for $9.00, should be in this afternoon. I guess the price could have been worse... I couldn't find them from at the website provided, but will check there first next time I need something.

fishexpo101: I never thought that the spring could have loosened up due to the heat...That sounds more likely then it just breaking by itself.

Brakes were getting worn down a bit anyway, hopefully this brake job will last another 100,000 miles or so...

I post again if I find any more surprises. default_unsure

Thanks

Sometimes it doesn't matter what it costs - if you really need the part.

It will get your g/f's brakes fixed and the car back on the road.

Brakes do get really hot, just touch them after a good drive and you will know!!

If the brakes got that hot, you might also want to consider replacing the drums.

Its often hard to visually see a warped drum (unless its REALLY screwed).

just 2bits.

good luck

tdk.

ps, welcome to the board!

Bikeman982

Rear brake drums can be "turned" down or replaced pretty cheaply.

I replced mine on my 1994 because they were too rusted and looked like they had already been "turned".

That was when I replaced the rear brake shoes. The new drums were $20 from e-Bay.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)