Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

City Code Violation -

By Bikeman982, September 14, 2007

Bikeman982

Today a city worker came by when I was cutting my grass and gave me a note (next time will be a ticket) for having a car on jackstands in my driveway.

Apparantly there is a city ordnance that prohibits it. It also staes that any car in public view (such as in a driveway) has to look as though it is driveable on public roads. That means even cars that are inoperable, must have that appearance.

I did put the crossmember back on the car and put the engine brace back on as well.

I put the engine down - resting on a piece of wood resting on the brace.

I put the tires back on the car and now it looks like it can drive down the road.

The car has no transmission in it and the front brake assemblies are hanging by bungee cords in the wheel wells.

I would have put the car in my garage, but the wheel kept trying to fall off when I moved the car.

There is no drive shafts and the only thing holding the wheels on the car is the wheel bearings.

The left one popped out as the wheel rolled.

The city code inspector will be back in 10 days to make sure I am in compliance with the city ordnance.

I hope to have the transmission changed by then.

Anyone else have some surprised inspectors complain when they were working on their car??

Today a city worker came by when I was cutting my grass and gave me a note (next time will be a ticket) for having a car on jackstands in my driveway.Apparantly there is a city ordnance that prohibits it. It also staes that any car in public view (such as in a driveway) has to look as though it is driveable on public roads. That means even cars that are inoperable, must have that appearance.

I did put the crossmember back on the car and put the engine brace back on as well.

I put the engine down - resting on a piece of wood resting on the brace.

I put the tires back on the car and now it looks like it can drive down the road.

The car has no transmission in it and the front brake assemblies are hanging by bungee cords in the wheel wells.

I would have put the car in my garage, but the wheel kept trying to fall off when I moved the car.

There is no drive shafts and the only thing holding the wheels on the car is the wheel bearings.

The left one popped out as the wheel rolled.

The city code inspector will be back in 10 days to make sure I am in compliance with the city ordnance.

I hope to have the transmission changed by then.

Anyone else have some surprised inspectors complain when they were working on their car??

In fullerton, your not allowed to work on your car either in your garage or your driveway. I have no idea why. So that means, I cannot change my own oil or my own brakes. Lame!

I'm going to guess that if you do this frequently with your "project cars" that a neighbor complained to the authorities.

Many homeowner's associations, planned communities, suburbs, and apartment complexes have some sort of ordinance to limit what you can do on the driveway or in sight of the public. Same deal where I live - but I still do it, even been warned on a few occasions. But I keep the area clean and usually work on it at night or pre-dawn - usually finishing before anyone gets up in the morning.

I have a feeling that most the time, the people enforcing these things have nothing else to do except be a pain in your butt. Some take it to the extreme - houses have to be of approved colors, trimmings, exterior decorations, etc. The area that I live in, one of the pretty extreme cases, you have to petition atleast four of your closest neighbors and go through several hoops within the homeowner's ruling body, to get approval to put up a temporary lawn ornament !!. PITA. Even though it is a nice area - clean, private, quiet - I've put up with enough of their BS. Tying to find a place like where my folks live - basically do pretty much anything you want.

I'm just at the beginning of the process to build a new house. It will be a nice neighborhood and they do have an association and pretty hefty fee to go with it. While I'm not wild about it I am coming from an area where one can do anything they want and it's starting to get pretty bad. The Town officials are useless.

I'll take the association over where I am right now. There are a lot of blue collar people in the neighborhood right now so I don't think it will be too tough. Plus I need a reason to get rid of things....I don't want to be working on my cars when I get into my 60's anyways default_tongue

Jay in MA

...........Trying to find a place like where my folks live - basically do pretty much anything you want.

Bikeman982

I'm going to guess that if you do this frequently with your "project cars" that a neighbor complained to the authorities.
Nobody complained - the city worker was just randomly driving down my street.

I have had lots of times when I had a car on jacks in my driveway.

No one ever complained. My neighbor has an inoperative car right next to my driveway - never cited.

I did get a notice when my RV was next to my house and it was too long for my driveway.

It was partly over the sidewalk and the city did not want me to park it there.

There is also a city ordnance that requires every car parked on the street to be moved at least once every five days.

I do a car shuffle every couple of days, just to keep them from thinking my cars are not moving.

Of course every car that is not registered has to be off the street. It can be in the garage, or driveway.

I have seen neighbors get tickets for having unregistered cars in front of their homes.

I don't mind some of the tough rules, they do keep the neighborhood looking good.

I think they should ticket more people for having messy yards or too much junk in them.

I keep my place looking good and have seen some really bad looking yards.

Man, I've never heard of a city having such harsh rules. I'm glad I don't live where you do.

You seem to love working on older Corolla's. You should either use your garage, or get one if you don't have one.

A garage is a nice private thing, and your ins should go down parked in a garage too.

we got snip for having a pallet of shingles on our driveway for 2 weeks when we were roofing our home. talk about bullcrap! where else do you put a pallet?

we got snip for having a pallet of shingles on our driveway for 2 weeks when we were roofing our home. talk about bullcrap! where else do you put a pallet?

Top this..our township has an ordinance that declares "lawns must be cut to a height of 5" maximum...any higher grass must be cut or face a 50.00 fine."

My old neighbor let his lawn go, and collected 250 in fines one summer. He's gone, and the lawns are cut.

Welcome to 1984! George Orwell must've known something...

Bikeman982

Man, I've never heard of a city having such harsh rules. I'm glad I don't live where you do.

You seem to love working on older Corolla's. You should either use your garage, or get one if you don't have one.

A garage is a nice private thing, and your ins should go down parked in a garage too.

I did move the car to the garage.

My wife wanted to park her new Mazda3 there, so I couldn't work on my car.

It is also tight on space with the car there (I also have two motorcycles) and all my tools and the washer/dryer, etc.

The car is now up on car ramps and jack stands, with the tires off and also no disk brakes, and the brake assemblies hanging by bungee cords.

I had removed the wheel well splash guards and also the engine splash guards.

Today I also took off the crossmember and am waiting for a transmission.

The engine is supported by a 4 X 4 under it. Pictures tomorrow.

If the city workers don't like it - I can just close my garage door and it dissapears!!

Those are some tough rules......but if you are a property owner a bad neighbor can drag your property values down pretty quick. Too bad the city officials couldn't apply more common sense though.

Bikeman982

Those are some tough rules......but if you are a property owner a bad neighbor can drag your property values down pretty quick. Too bad the city officials couldn't apply more common sense though.
Some places and communities are tougher than others.

I can see their point and agree - some bad looking yards can bring the value of your house down.

I would not want to live next to a neighbor with a poor looking yard (actually I do, but I never complain to the city).

The city officials just enforce the codes that are voted in by the populace. It is not their fault the codes have no sense to them.

I don't agree with not being able to work on your own car in your own driveway. I think people should be able to do that.

They should keep it neat and safe, and clean up as soon as possible. A junk car sitting around for a long time is an eyesore.

There are cars that are caked in dust around my neighborhood and the city has done nothing about them.

There should be one standard fairly applied to all.

Bikeman982

I got a letter in the mail from the same city worker who wrote me a warning for having my car up on jack stands in my driveway.

She plans on coming back in 10 days (on the 24th) to re-inspect. If I am not in compliance with city code - I will be fined.

If my garage door is opened, this is what she will see -----

The car is not in my driveway and she can't do a thing about it in my garage, or I will just close the door!!

If I were in your shoes, I'd close my garage door that day...

Bikeman982

If I were in your shoes, I'd close my garage door that day...
That's the plan - take everything in the front and move to the side yard.

Close the garage door all day (at least 8 to 5) . City workers don't work at night!

• 1,424 posts

You guys think that your city rules are bad, top this:

When I lived in BG, we lived in one of the most desirable subdivisions in the area.

In this subdivision we had all types of rules, but the most strictly enforced rule was that all homeplans, exterior materials, colors, landscaping and structures on any property had to be approved by the architectural review committee.

The architectural review committee drafted several rules:

Homes:

1) No two houses in the subdivision of 100+ homes could have the same floorplan or even a slightly modified version of the same floor plan.

2) All house plans had to be custom designs by a licensed architect.

3) All homes were to be Tudor, Colonial, Georgian, Nantucket or Transitional in style. (No contemporary homes, prairie homes, etc were allowed.)

4) One or 1.5 story homes had to be a minimum of 3000 sq. feet with a minimum of 3 bedrooms and 2.5 baths.

5) Two story homes had to be a minimum of 2500 sq. ft with a minimum of 3 bedrooms and 2.5 baths.

Exterior Materials:

1) No side of the house facing a street could contain any synthetic material, including trim.

2) Acceptable natural materials were brick, real stone (not cultured), wood siding/shingles and stucco.

3) On non Nantucket and Tudor style homes, 70% of the sides of the home facing the street had to be masonry.

4) Concrete walks were required from the driveway to the front door ( and they could not contain 90 degree angles ) and from the driveway to the patio.

5) Every home was to have a Ceder mailbox located to the right of the driveway.

Colors:

1) No two houses on the same street could share the same color scheme.

2) You could not share a color scheme with a house on the next street unless their address number was at least 50 more or less than a house that currently had that color scheme.

3) You could not change your color scheme after it was approved without re-approval.

Landscaping:

1) Had to be professionally designed and installed no more than 90 days after you moved in or no later than April 15th of the next year if you moved in after October.

2) Grass had to be a certain variety from the local landscaping company.

3) A 3"-4" caliper non-evergreen tree had to be planted in the front yard of every home (every street had their own tree)

Exterior Structures:

1) Only one shed per property, could not be larger than 10 x 12 and could not be visible from the road.

2) Shed had to be constructed of siding that matched your home and had to be painted in your home's approved color scheme.

The architectural review committee got to look at all of these things when a house was built. After that they got a say in anything you did on the exterior of your home.

In addition to all those rules, there were other rules.

1) No street parking, anywhere, ever.

2) No non-working cars left outside (like anyone in the neighborhood ever had a non working car)

3) Nothing left in the yard overnight

4) Garage doors kept closed when you were inside (although they were less demanding on this one)

5) Yard mowed at least once a week from April 1st until October 31st.

This is how stringent this Homeowner's association was: The president of the ARC came to our house and asked us if we intended to install the mullions in our front windows that we (the ARC and my Mother) had agreed would look better than just sheet glass. We intended to sometime, but not right away since we hadn't lived there two weeks yet. After a talk with a neighbor I installed them the next day.

Our neighbor suggested that we follow the ARCs plans for our house because the last person who didn't ended up selling his house after a lenghty legal battle with the ARC. They sued a homeowner because he put a synthetic material on the front of his house (cultured stone) and it was clearly against the rules. He bait and switched the ARC and they were pissed. They gave him two options: Fix the problem or go to court for violating the contract he signed with the Homeowner's Association. He chose court thinking that the judge would side with him. He didn't and ended up going back to court three times for the cultured stone. Eventually he replaced the stone and sold the house.

It may sound harsh, but when you want a neighborhood to look like a Norman Rockwell painting, you've got to do it. If you let one person bend the rules, then you can't stop others from breaking them and the neighborhood doesn't look like a Norman Rockwell painting anymore. Having oversight so no two houses are alike and all the houses are similarly sized and have color schemes that go together makes for a beautiful neighborhood and for exceedingly high property values compared to neighborhoods where these controls aren't in place.

Some people will not tolerate this level of control, but then you have to put up with neighbors who leave crap all over their yard on the day that a buyer is coming to look at your house. Which is exactly what happened at the house we lived in before we moved to BG.

When we went to sell the house in September 2001, the house sold in less than a month for more than the asking price, after 9/11 the housing market in BG went flat, but three houses in our subdivision sold before November while the four houses that were comparable to our homes in the very next subdivision sat on the market and didn't sell until after the new year, despite their lower prices. The only thing I can figure is that our neighborhood with all its rules was more attractive to buyers.

• 320 posts

I think it's human nature to get a sensible balance, and then keep harping and going too far.. instead of moving on to the next item that needs attention. Shame though; a lot of these rules just make no sense. I understand not wanting people to have Dumpsters permanently installed in their driveways, etc., or 500 megawatt Christmas-light displays, and even restricting paint colors; but from there it seems to always devolve into insanity while other aspects of the area don't get half the attention they deserve.

That said, please excuse my merging of the similar project car topics together.

I think most places have some sort of rule.

When I lived in a HUGE apartment complex, it was too big for them to keep track of, therefore, they didn't bother.

However, the last apt I lived in, I was not even allowed to add washer fluid (I just did all the work in the underground garage instead).

At our sub, there is no "rule", however, we have a few guys that walk around complaining about having vehicles on the property. I had to put a cover on my 280z (it had blown off, and i was getting lazy about putting it back on).

Earlier this year, I had my previous Saab in the driveway, jacked up, missing 1 tire.

The city drove through the sub and gave us warnings to move it within the week. I called up the city, talked to the clerk, and she was very helpful in getting me an extension. It was still VERY cold, so I asked for an extra 2wks. She asked if that would be enough time.

She also told me that there is a city ordinance that does not allow for vehicles that are inoperable or without valid pates to be visible on your property.

I live on the corner, and I do not have a fence. That means, I cannot have it anywhere other than the garage!

I still have my Z sitting next to my garage though...

my 1/2 cent worth.

tdk

Bikeman982

There are obviously good and bad rules and perfectly good reasons for them.

The point is that some places are more restricting or more liberal than others and you have to decide where to live.

I just hate being told what to do, or what I can/can't do in my own yard.

Bikeman982

Here is the car, not on jacks in my driveway.

Transaxle was changed.

Bikeman982

Now the car is almost where it was when the inspector saw it.

Still not on jack stands, so there can be no city ordnance violation -

Topic List: Go to Everything Else