Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Music

By c2105026, July 22, 2007

Hello all,

I have looked through this section of the forums; there hasn't been a thread on the topic of Music.

What do people out there like?

I may as well kick things off... I like pretty much anything of the pop/rock/dance/techno genre. I have much variety on my iPod playlists, everything from the 60s to today. My main favourite Artists are.....

Abba, Boney M, The Beatles, The Doors, Jefferson Airplane, Led Zeppelin, Kiss, INXS, Fleetwood Mac, Madonna, The Rolling Stones, Duran Duran, U2, Pseudo Echo, Stevie Wonder, Simon and Grafunkel, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Elton John, Johnny Cash, David Bowie, Talking Heads, Ministry of Sound, Jimi Hendrix, Scissor Sisters, Neil Diamond (to name a few). Many hundreds more feature in my CD/MP3 collection...

My main favourite genres are 60s psychedelica, 70s Funk and Disco, 80s synth pop, general top 40 stuff from the 90s and various kinds of dance/techno music.

I have about 2200 tracks on my iPod, ~800 of which get regularly played by being selected to be on a playlist. This is going in my Corolla all the time whilst driving basically. I also have iTunes going when I am on my computer; right now I am listening to New Order's "Blue Monday", a classic example of early 80s dance music....

My favourite songs of all time are:

"Papa was a rolling stone" by the Temptations,

"Mysterious Ways" and "Better than the real thing" by U2

"Insence and Peppermints" by Strawberry Alarm Clock and

"Girls on Film" by Duran Duran

What do folks out there like???

My music can be divided into two groups, Dance/Eurodance or Techno/Trance. While my dance collection is more lyrical and bass-oriented, my techno/trance collection is generally non-lyrical and emphasizes electronics and beats. I actually have a pretty small collection of songs compared to most people, only about 300-400. While I continually download new music, I often purge my old music which either I never really listened to in the first place, or have lost interest in. Most of my music comes out of Germany and Russia, the two best places for my genres. Here's some examples of my favorite bands/artists:

Dance/Eurodance: Alexia, Blümchen, Cascada, DJ Bobo, Eiffel 65, Fun Factory, Gabry Ponte, La Bouche, Russkiy Razmer, Samira, Smile.dk, The Real McCoy, Tina Ann, Virus (the Russian one)

Techno/Trance: Alice Deejay, Aquagen, Decomposed Subsonic, DJ Mangoo, DJ Marc Aurel, Kraftwerk, Paul van Dyk

Aside from these two genres, I also enjoy listening to traditional Russian/Soviet folk (Kalinka, Katyusha, Svyaschennaya Voyna, etc) and Persian music/pop sung by Shahyad, Afshin, or Mansour.

Max

Led Zeppelin, Van Halen, Areosmith, Wilco, Son Volt, Lucinda Williams, Patty Griffin, Dave Matthews, U2, Rickie Lee Jones, Rush, Neil Young, Fleetwood Mac, Elton John, New Order, Talking Heads, John Hiatt, Aimee Mann, Garrison Starr, Brandi Carlile, David Wilcox, XTC, Robbie Robertson, anything on Motown records....where do I stop?

I listen to Death Metal, Punk, and Classic Rock.

• 1,424 posts

I listen to too many artists and genres to list here.

Artists I listen to include:

Asia

The Beatles

Billy Joel

Bob Dylan

Bob Seger

Boston

The Carpenters

Cream

CCR

Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young

Derek and the Dominos

Don Mclean

The Doobie Brothers

Duran Duran

The Eagles

Elton John (not the love songs, only the more rock-like ones)

Eric Clapton

Fall Out Boy

The Fix

Fleetwood Mac

Foreigner

Good Charlotte

Heart

James Gang

Joe Cocker

John Mayer

Kansas

Kenny Chesney

Led Zeppelin

Paul McCartney and Wings

The Pretenders

Queen

Rascal Flatts

Rod Stewart

The Rolling Stones

Steely Dan

Styx

Supertramp

Toby Keith

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

U2

The Who

I never do anything without music. I have 5 days worth of music, yes 120 hours of music on Itunes, and I couldn't possibly list it all here.

Bikeman982

No topic for music because everyone probably likes something different!!

I like the "Oldies" because they don't make any good oldies theses days.

Lately I listen to the local radio station, just to keep up on local events and traffic.

I pretty much listen to anything from ABBA to Led Zeppelin when it comes to oldies.

My favorite is Fleetwood Mac, Steve Miller Band, CCR, Queen, etc.

My choice:

Original soundtrack from Halo 1, NFS Underground 2

Anything that does NOT have percussion instruments

Studio Ghibli anime soundtracks (Spirited Away and such)

Songs NOT about romance or breakup

Songs with available piano score

Songs that contain arguments default_biggrin

Bikeman982

Speaking of music, which words are mentioned more than any other in songs??

My guesses would be LOVE, RAIN, and GIRL.

It would probably depend on the type of music. I once listened to a song from 50 Cent and it contained the words n***er and sex in every other sentence. It must have been "In da club" default_laugh

Bikeman982

It would probably depend on the type of music. I once listened to a song from 50 Cent and it contained the words n***er and sex in every other sentence. It must have been "In da club" default_laugh
That would be the type of song I would never listen to.

I don't like any music that has a proliferation of profanity or bad words.

I like music I can sing along with (only when I am by myself).

yes, I would say 98% of all hip-hop I don't 'get'. I only have 2 hip-hop CDs in my collection; Black Eyed Peas and Eminem. Besides its hard to groove along with hip-hop; not like disco/dance.

Bikeman982

yes, I would say 98% of all hip-hop I don't 'get'. I only have 2 hip-hop CDs in my collection; Black Eyed Peas and Eminem. Besides its hard to groove along with hip-hop; not like disco/dance.
If I don't "get" the music, I don't listen to it. There are some songs I don't know the words to, but I like the group that sings it.

I can't recall all of the Artists I have on my iPod, which contains a mere 485 songs at the moment. I don't usually load entire albums, just the top hit songs from each. Here's some of what I have:

Ace of Base

The Carpenters

Coal Miner's Daughter (Movie Soundtrack)

In The Digital Mood - Glenn Miller

Randy Travis

Fleetwood Mac (The Dance album)

Beatle's Greatest Hits

Anne Murray

ABBA

Aerosmith

Air Supply

America

The Association

Bannanamarama

The Bangles

The Beach Boys

Blondie

Boston

Blubird

Brian Hyland

The Doors

Journey

Paul Revere and the Raiders

Paul Anka

Bobby Vinton

Television's Greatest Hits - TV show themes

Survivor

...well, I guess I could be here all night. Basically, I like a lot of different types of music, but no Hip-Hop or Rap. To me, that isn't music -- it's just noises meant to create hatred and violence. To me, music has to sound musical -- not just be a lot of noise and yelling.

I also have a huge amount of podcasts -- mainly Leo Laporte and others of a technological nature. I hardly ever get a chance to listen to them except when I'm on one of my infrequent trips to Buffalo.

The iPod is truly an amazing invention, and I use mine a lot, even though it's just an ancient non-video capable version. The 20 GB hard drive is only around 20% full at the time. That reminds me, I need to sync it and charge the battery!

Bikeman982

Gee Larry, you like a lot of the old songs! How can you be so "hip" as to use an ipod??

Did your grandson show you how to use it??

• 1,424 posts
Gee Larry, you like a lot of the old songs! How can you be so "hip" as to use an ipod??Did your grandson show you how to use it??

My 72 year old grandmother can use an Ipod and no one ever taught her how, Although she may not be a good example of a technologically challenged person since she has a computer and uses it to surf the net and send email and has been doing so for many years.

That is the beauty of a Mac Engineered product, they are so intuitive that practically anyone should be able to just pick it up and learn to use it in 5 minutes or less. Also, they update and install automatically, so nothing more than plugging them in is required.

That is why they come with no instructions or setup directions.

My 72 year old grandmother can use an Ipod and no one ever taught her how, Although she may not be a good example of a technologically challenged person since she has a computer and uses it to surf the net and send email and has been doing so for many years.
HaHa....my grandma is the same way. Just the other day I got an e-mail from her asking me a question about scripts....

HaHa....my grandma is the same way. Just the other day I got an e-mail from her asking me a question about scripts....

You sure it's not about some dialogs about some scripts trying to do something to her computer?

hehehe default_biggrin

Topic List: Go to Everything Else