Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

New To Corollas, New To Corollaland

By Saint, July 14, 2007

I suppose it would be appropriate to make an introductory post. I'm Simon, from New Hampshire. Sometime in the next two weeks, whenever he buys his new Camry, I'll be buying a Corolla from my uncle. It's a black, 5 speed 1998 VE. This will be the first car that is MINE, so I'm pretty psyched.

I guess I should say a few things about myself. I'm currently trying to get two degrees in 4 years, Computer Science and Philosophy, at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in Troy, NY. Home in Nashua, NH for the summer, but I'll be starting my sophomore year in late august. I'm not too knowledgeable about cars, so I'll probably be asking a lot of annoying questions for a while. default_tongue However I am a scientist at heart, and do enjoy learning about everything I can. I hope I'll be able to contribute to this forum soon enough.

Saint, It a very nice thing that you are buying your first car and that its not just any car but a 98 Corolla!

it is not a sports car, it is not a luxurious car, but it is one of the most fuel efficeint non hybrid cars.

just treat it right and it will be just fine.

Enjoy!!

Bikeman982

Your very first car that you own will be remembered forever.

Enjoy it and realize that it won't be your last.

Welcome to the Corolla forum and be sure to contribute often.

Your very first car that you own will be remembered forever. Enjoy it and realize that it won't be your last.

Welcome to the Corolla forum and be sure to contribute often.

My Little Pig will be equally memorable. default_smile

Welcome aboard Saint!

Bikeman982

My first car was a 1963 Pontiac LeMans.

It wasn't the first car I drove, just the first one that I actually owned.

The first car I drove was a 1963 Ford Falcon.

Both cars are fondly remembered.

I have had 3 'first' cars...

*I learnt on the 1990 Holden Nova (Aussie equivalent to a chev prism). It looked great in a retro sort of way, nice early 90s details but its progress was glacial at best and whatever we did it always ended up using a lot of petrol. Was traded in on the....

*2000 Corolla - this kicked off my intrest in corollas. I wanted a bigger 2nd hand car like a V6 Camry or a Holden Commodore; my best friend at the time had a '95 Ford Falcon Fairmont - smooth, plush ride, powerful, loaded with kit. But this bright blue beauty turned up in a local car yard during my mid-year uni break in 2002 and since mum was buying it for me she basically called the shots on the purchase ('needed' to be a small automatic) it was best of an average bunch. Racked up 35000km on it before it was transferred over to my name. This was the first car that was ever in my name. Then I traded it in on a.......

*2005 corolla - my current vehicle. It was the first car I bought with my own money. I actually got it having been in my first job after uni (current job) for only 2 days.

I have vowed to myself if I ever find a 1990 Holden Nova SLX Sedan, I will buy it....They are now extremely rare, haven't seen one on the road for years....

WELCOME TO COROLLAND!!!

My Corolla is both my first car to own and the car I learned to drive on (I also took my license test on it). I would say the best thing about my car is how absolutely easy it is to drive. It was considered compact back in 1998, but by today's standards it would probably fall into the sub-compact class. Because it's short (14.6' long) and narrow (just 66.7" wide), its incredibly easy to manuever around traffic and tight situations. Another great thing about the 8th gen Corolla is the superb visability. One great benefit about putting a spoiler on my car is that when I'm backing up, it can serve as a device to judge how much space I have.

I've constantly debated about selling my Corolla, but I never will. I assume I'm going to keep this car forever, just keep swapping new engines in and painting new finishes over the rust. About the only problem I have with my car is that is sorely underpowered. For a couple thousand dollars, I wouldn't mind swapping in the 170 HP XRS engine (or maybe the 140 HP 00-05 Celica GT engine).

Bikeman982

My Corolla is both my first car to own and the car I learned to drive on (I also took my license test on it). I would say the best thing about my car is how absolutely easy it is to drive. It was considered compact back in 1998, but by today's standards it would probably fall into the sub-compact class. Because it's short (14.6' long) and narrow (just 66.7" wide), its incredibly easy to manuever around traffic and tight situations. Another great thing about the 8th gen Corolla is the superb visability. One great benefit about putting a spoiler on my car is that when I'm backing up, it can serve as a device to judge how much space I have.

I've constantly debated about selling my Corolla, but I never will. I assume I'm going to keep this car forever, just keep swapping new engines in and painting new finishes over the rust. About the only problem I have with my car is that is sorely underpowered. For a couple thousand dollars, I wouldn't mind swapping in the 170 HP XRS engine (or maybe the 140 HP 00-05 Celica GT engine).

So you use your spoiler as a bumber?

Not everyone wants to remember their first car forever. I would love to forget the rusty 1982 Buick Skylark I picked up for $400. And the 1981 Pontiac T1000 that replaced it.

I would skip right to my third car, a 1980 Jeep CJ-5. Ah, now that was something a teenager could have fun in.

And it's still parked in the garage, next to my '07 Corolla S!

Bikeman982

Not everyone wants to remember their first car forever. I would love to forget the rusty 1982 Buick Skylark I picked up for $400. And the 1981 Pontiac T1000 that replaced it.

I would skip right to my third car, a 1980 Jeep CJ-5. Ah, now that was something a teenager could have fun in.

And it's still parked in the garage, next to my '07 Corolla S!

We may not have fond memories of our first car, but we always remember it.

The best car you ever get may be one that you haven't seen yet.

Topic List: Go to Everything Else