Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By Cashcrazy, June 17, 2007

I have a 99 CE auto with 121k. I have been reading about all the oil burning problems and mine uses no oil. IT has been a great car but it is giving me front end problems. My wife is pushing me to sell and get a new car but i would like to push this one to 200k. I am about to quit my job to go back to school so i need to get this thing in tip top shape before i cut my income. I have posted in other forums so I am going to do the ole cut and paste. I would like to fix just the problem areas instead of wasting time and money repairing the non problem parts. A little history: MY mother bought the car with 10k miles, always dealer serviced and maintenanced. I purchased from her with 100k and did the typical 100k service oil, belt, plugs, wires, trans filter and fluid, brakes, etc. I am not a street racer i drive responsible and the car only is driven hard when it is a must(like getting on with moving traffic) but nothing abusive. I hope this helps!

When I hit a series of small bumps There is a rattle from the from the front 2 wheel areas. It sounds like the struts are bad. I replaced 1 front strut and went on a test drive to see if the problem was corrected and the sound is still there. Before I replace the front passenger strut I would like to know exactly what is wrong so I can replace all at once. Could this possibly be a the wheel hub bearings? I have never had a Toyota do this so I am unsure. IF anyone has replace the front wheel bearings, is the hub sold as a unit with bearings?

"How is the rattle? I mean, is too loud? or is just like a screech?"

Its really hard to explain. It is not a screech or a squeal. It sounds like something is loose. I have had old trucks with bad wheel bearings and (on a jack) the wheel hub could move back and forth(toward the engine bay and away from the engine bay) when you shook it with your hands. The sound is similar to that. Turning a worn out CV shaft back and forth will make a similar sound. The sound is not to loud like something is about to break but at the same time it is not so quite that you have to turn everything off to hear. It has been doing it for a couple months. I am about to go back to school and I will be on the road a lot so I need to get this fixed ASAP. Any help will be appreciated.

I really need about 1.5 years of good service without major disaster in the automotive area. I will be driving about 150 miles a day.

I would start with a through check of the front suspension - could be a strut issue, probably more of a strut mount or loose spring isolator causing the noise. Normally, when you replace struts, you want to replace them as an axle set - especially with the amount of miles and age of the car in question. I'd go ahead and replace the other one as well. Wheel bearings generally make a noise anytime when the car is rolling - a bump induced noise is probably not the wheel bearing (you can buy the bearing and hub as an assembly, or buy just the bearing and press out the old one, press in the new one). Also check your mounts - both engine and transmission - they tend to get pretty noisy when driving over bumps.

I would start with a through check of the front suspension - could be a strut issue, probably more of a strut mount or loose spring isolator causing the noise. Normally, when you replace struts, you want to replace them as an axle set - especially with the amount of miles and age of the car in question. I'd go ahead and replace the other one as well. Wheel bearings generally make a noise anytime when the car is rolling - a bump induced noise is probably not the wheel bearing (you can buy the bearing and hub as an assembly, or buy just the bearing and press out the old one, press in the new one). Also check your mounts - both engine and transmission - they tend to get pretty noisy when driving over bumps.

I have been reading about sway bars making noises. Have any expirences with this? I Havent found anyone with a similar problem on their corolla.

Also I have looked over the suspension. Everything looks good and tight. No missing bushings or leaks.

anyone?

How did you check if things are tight - a visual inspection, or actually got out a pry bar and start prying on stuff. Things may look pretty tight in a static sense, may just be something that pops up if you get alot of movement, extension in the suspension.

Sway bars are notorious for making noise - you can do a quick test and spray any rubber bits with silicone spray and see if the noise changes. If it does, then you know a mount or bushing is bad. Engine and transmission mounts can also introduce some noise. Need a little bit more info to help out.

When you changed the strut - did you also replace the strut mount? How did the spring isolator look, made sure that the spring was engaged in the notch on the bottom of the new strut?

Check the inner tierod. It makes a rattling sound when it gets worn and loose.

I had the same exact problem in my 99 corolla. I took it to 3 different mechanics and they all had no idea what it was. One said everything looked good and the noise was probably coming from a loose plate in the struts. Then randomly I heard about a guy who was awesome with front ends in my town. The guy had to be in his late 60's, but he took my car for a ride, put it up on the racks and said he knew exactly what is was. He changed a stabilizer bar for me on the front right side and that took care of the noise, but now the one on the left is starting to go. But thats alright, it was only 70 bucks to fix. That may be your problem to.

I will check the stabilizer bars tomorrow. I jacked up the corolla tonight and the CV axles were tight when twisting and yanking. There was no play in the wheel when prying and pulling, The boots on the ball joints where still in great shape. I used silicone on the sway bar so later I will see if that changes anything on my way to work. More updates soon.

Safe yourself a time and replace the tie-rod(inner) ends. There should be TSB on this issue(affected models 98-99).

Safe yourself a time and replace the tie-rod(inner) ends. There should be TSB on this issue(affected models 98-99).

Update, I am going to replace the tie rod ends. The signs are pointing in this direction. Does anyone know where the best deal on this part can be found?

the part is cheap, but you will need an aligment. There is some deals on the internet, like Bob Bridge toyota, Renton, wa

Guest 98ceMCO

I'm adding to this thread a bit late, so I'm not sure whether Cashcrazy's issue has been resolved. I had a similar noise (rattling/clunking over bumps and rough pavement) that seemed to be coming from the left front wheel well. As it turned out it was the battery rattling around in the battery tray. My mechanic secured it with a steel strap and that stopped the noise; didn't charge me anything to do this.

I had a similar noise on my 95 wagon, it turned out to be stabilizer bar end links. I first replaced the bushings for the s bar mount to the body... that was not it. I then used the pry bar on the s bar end links, found play in the little ball jointy end on the link. That was it. I replaced all of them, left, right, front, rear. Not sure if yours is built the same. Mine has 255K miles, but was noisy long before that.

Dave

Bikeman982

It is difficult to say exactly what could be making the noise.

There have been threads on this forum with people with similar problems.

It could be the struts, wheel bearings, tie rod ends, connecting rods, even a battery tray.

I have heard of wheel covers being broken and making noise, as well as plastic shrouding that knocks or hits something when going over bumps.

The springs could be bad, or even bushings worn.

I suggest you try to isolate the sound and when it occurs to get a better idea of what could be causing it.

If you can wait, save some money and continue to drive the car until you know where the noise is coming from.

If it is something serious, it will become more obvious, otherwise it may just be a nuisance that you would need to live with.

Save some money so that when you are going to school and don't have an income, could be used for repairs, should it get significantly worse.

Just a suggestion - hope this helps.

I'm having the same exact problem. It seems like when a slight bump or small sag in the road is ran over, I hear this "errnk, errnk" sound that's very random and only goes with small bumps or sags. Has nothing to do with steering or anything like that; no vibration in the steering wheel or anything like that which such sounds would say the rack is going bad.

Put it up on the lift to diagnose the problem with a mechanic pal and he stated it was probably tie rods, joints and other things. Replaced them all, tightened up any loose ends...the problem lessened but it's still there, alive and well.

Maybe shocks? Hell, rattles and thuds, especially low-volume ones such as this, are a b*stard to diagnose.

Any pointers folks?

Bikeman982

I'm having the same exact problem. It seems like when a slight bump or small sag in the road is ran over, I hear this "errnk, errnk" sound that's very random and only goes with small bumps or sags. Has nothing to do with steering or anything like that; no vibration in the steering wheel or anything like that which such sounds would say the rack is going bad.

Put it up on the lift to diagnose the problem with a mechanic pal and he stated it was probably tie rods, joints and other things. Replaced them all, tightened up any loose ends...the problem lessened but it's still there, alive and well.

Maybe shocks? Hell, rattles and thuds, especially low-volume ones such as this, are a b*stard to diagnose.

Any pointers folks?

Check the contents of your trunk. It may sound silly, but there have been people who have things making noises hiding there.

Dan_H

If it is a nonmetallic sound and only happens when both front wheels go slowly over a dip or speed bump, it could be the sway bar bushings. Mine did that for a while until I added a bit of grease to the bushing/roll bar joint.

Bikeman982

It could be the springs making the noise as they compress.

If they are rusty it will be even louder.

Might not be anything serious, just an annoyance sound.

Sway bar bushings were one of the things initially replaced which lessened the problem.

But...I found out what it was. Shock mounts clanking around. Going to get them replaced by the end of the month. Might as well do all four and replace everything...spring, shock, mounts - probably one of those "quick strut" things that Monroe make since the ones in there are all original.

Bikeman982

Sway bar bushings were one of the things initially replaced which lessened the problem.

But...I found out what it was. Shock mounts clanking around. Going to get them replaced by the end of the month. Might as well do all four and replace everything...spring, shock, mounts - probably one of those "quick strut" things that Monroe make since the ones in there are all original.

Shock mounts are not usually loose enough to make noise, but if yours are worn that much, they probably should be replaced.

Shock mounts are not usually loose enough to make noise, but if yours are worn that much, they probably should be replaced.

Well, replaced struts - they were in dire need of replacement anyway - smoother ride, but the clunking problem is still there. Mechanic has theorized possible heat shield rattling, but the clunking sound is too dense and muddy in tone to be something thin like a heat shield which would give a tinny, clanky bright sound. Plus, I can tell when the clunk is on the right or left, pertaining to which wheel hits a bump or sag in the road.

So, I guess I'll have to go to the tie rods. Any other suggestions so I can knock those out too just in case?

Been to three different guys and two of them didn't even want to bother since they hadn't a clue. Sure as hell not going to the dealership when it's most likely something small and have to pay top dollar, plus I don't want to pay an inspection fee if they can't tell what in the hell it is.

At any rate, it is getting worse...but, what does seem sort of a narrowing down possibility is that I can now tell whether the clunk is left or right, meaning the same kind of item is bad on both sides now. I'm going to try tie rod and stabilizers next and see what that does. Any other suggestions?

And yes, I will follow up once the repair is done in a couple of weeks.

Bikeman982

New tie rod ends and ball joints should make a difference.

Any pointers folks?

I saw your more recent post about replacing the struts. Did you also replace the strut mounts? If not, I can almost guarantee at 120K+ that the strut mounts are bad, probably with broken-up rubber, cracked metal, or both. The OEM parts are made by KYB. Their quality is suspect. Most are totally shot by 50K. The "errnk, errnk" is a good description of the sound a bad, creaky strut mount makes. If you can duplicate the sound by standing at either front corner of the car and rocking the bumper up and down, then the strut mounts are the problem.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)