Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Smell Oil Burning A Bit On Startup

by sumia, June 16, 2007

I got so much information about corolla from this website. Thanks so much for answering my questions!

The car had used car inspection one month ago at local dealer, They said I need to replace Valve cover gaskets and timing chain tensioner o-ring in or between 6 months. And I also got CEL for 2 months (sometimes "off" for several hours or a day, then come back forever!), the code is Po441 and one time Po446. When I went to Chicago, I parked there for one night, the next day when I drove the car, CEL was off, but CEL came back on the high way when I entered IN state.

Another local dealer checked the car 2 months ago, and said I need to replace VSV for CEL problem.

I bought is used 99 Corolla one month ago, now it has 69202 miles. I smell oil burning a little bit on startup. I must get it fixed soon. What causes the smell?

P0441 or P0446? Or the timing chain tensioner o-ring? or valve cover gasket? Or something else? I just drove 140 miles yesterday, gas mileage is higher than 30 mph. and I checked oil dipstick before the trip, it's on full level, haven't checked it after the trip.

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated. Thanks so much!

What causes the smell?
Umm....burning oil.

Look for a leak near something that gets hot.

I would replace what the mechanic suggested. Remember that most valve covers need to be tightened in a specific pattern.

well, I am also suffereing from The p0441 and p0446 problems. thinking of taking it to the Mechanic very soon. its been on for about a month now but I have been making sure that the gas cap isn't to blame. Its NOT becuse of the Gas Cap.

I looked under the car and everything seemed fine around the Canister and fuel tank...

and i didn't notice any smell or anything different about the car other than mpg droped maybe 5-8mpg... default_sad

anyone with experience on this problem would be helpfull, I have been reading the forum like crazy for a week

THNKS

valve steams seals let the oil to drip into the cilinder. $$$ to fix. Won't affect the driveability.

Bikeman982

If you smell oil and it does not show any underneath, it probably means it is burning it off.

If you have a leaking valve gasket, you can replace it, or try a little tightening of the valve cover bolts.

Find out what your fault codes mean and what is causing the CEL to come on.

You will probably have to replace some parts, or clean up some components to get it perfect.

Hope this helps.

Topic List