Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By JeremyH, June 12, 2007

Well, I dont think I can stomach a summer in Houston driving my Jeep w/o AC, so I was looking around for a good deal on a truck. I found a nice '06 Tacoma with a TON of options. Is there anything that I should look for with this model year? Does anyone have any info on how these tow? (I will need to pull my Jeep [~4000lbs] on a heavy trailer[~1000lbs]).

Thanks!

Tacomas are really nice trucks - bigger than previous generations and rides very untrucklike. Depending on which one you are looking at - regular, extended cab, double-cab, base, prerunner trims, 4x2, 4x4, 2.7L or the 4.0L engines - can be tough to decide. Keep in mind that the 4.0L V6 drinks premium gas, the 2.7L I4 will take regular gas. Turning circle is actually pretty big compared to previous generations - can be tough to park and maneuver (between 37ft to 44 ft turning circle) - doesn't sound like much but can make a huge difference (my Corolla's 32ft vs Matrix's 35.5ft turning circles - HUGE difference in a parking deck).

As for towing weight/capacity - even the 4.0L V6 is rated only for 3500lbs max. Would have to jump up to the Tundra to get the towing rating you need.

Jeremy,

I think you'll find this useful.

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/overview...mp;model=Tacoma

Good luck,

Jay in MA

Well, I dont think I can stomach a summer in Houston driving my Jeep w/o AC, so I was looking around for a good deal on a truck. I found a nice '06 Tacoma with a TON of options. Is there anything that I should look for with this model year? Does anyone have any info on how these tow? (I will need to pull my Jeep [~4000lbs] on a heavy trailer[~1000lbs]).

Thanks!

Fish,

the truck is a 2WD double cab prerunner with the 4.0L and auto tranny.

Thanks for the info regarding the premium gas, I forgot that those engines were supercharged....

TR, thanks for the link...it had some good info!

• 1,424 posts

Thanks!

That '06 Tacoma probably costs a mint, and from my research it isn't able to tow what you want.

Why not just spend the money (less money actually) that you would spend on the Tacoma to retrofit AC into your Jeep.

Depending on how old your Jeep is, you may be able to get an OEM AC retrofit kit from your local Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep dealer.

I see many advantages to the Tacoma, (more creature comforts, etc), but if it won't tow your Jeep and trailer, then it doesn't seem like the vehicle for you.

I assume you use your Jeep for off-roading or 4-wheeling and that you may not want AC on it, but AC isn't a big loss on the drivetrain when it isn't on and it really doesn't add that much weight.

That is my .02

Actually T99,

that was the realization that I made over the past few days. I found a complete AC kit for $1K. Much better than having a car payment...

I do use the jeep offroad, but it only has a 4cyl....so there isnt much power to loose...

Topic List: Go to Everything Else