Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By cloudplaya, May 20, 2007

What's up with that?

Need to be more specific, if you want a sensible answer.

Fuel economy in general,, depends on the condition of the car, maintenance, and how you drive.

How's the car running otherwise? Does it have smoke coming from exhaust? Does it idle badly? Low on power? Could be almost anything causing poor fuel economy - from bad alignment and low tire pressures, to a tired engine, to electrical problem.

Fuel economy in general,, depends on the condition of the car, maintenance, and how you drive.
I hilighted the most important aspect of good fuel economy.

Please provide information on your vehicle and what you have done in an attempt to fix the problem.

I am no expert on corolla milage, but that sounds BAD.

I get over 25 on my turbo saab (mixed driving), and 20 on the highway in the truck.

Sounds like its time for a major tune-up.

Out of curiosity, with out it being used for racing, if its in decent condition, would it get 20mpg, regardless of how you drive?

tdk

Are you SURE your figuring your gas mileage right? Gas prices are forcing me to sell my Mustang, but I with mixed driving, I can get over 20MPG in a V8.

I'd think you would have to have a fuel leak to get only 20MPG in a Corolla.

Are you SURE your figuring your gas mileage right? Gas prices are forcing me to sell my Mustang, but I with mixed driving, I can get over 20MPG in a V8.

I'd think you would have to have a fuel leak to get only 20MPG in a Corolla.

I think I may have a leak but don't know how to check it. Its 94' with 135k miles and I have added aftermarket products to it.

what have you added?

what have you added?

There so many, lets see:

-Aftermarket air Filter with pipes

-Apexi Fuel Controller (it's blue)

-KYB Struts

-Lowering Springs

-New muffler (don't know name)

-new cat (its in a blue box)

-'17 rims

I think I scratched the fuel sensor trying to fit it into the aftermarket pipe for the air filter. (it was loose, so I added a black bonding chemical, then Tried to take it out and cut the black stuff off)

From what it sounds like - the O2 sensor is probably FUBAR. Shouldn't have to mess with any adhesives with an O2 sensor, also don't try and clean them - either one will kill the sensor. Sometimes the sensor doesn't completely go out - so it will not trip the CEL. Try the simple stuff - tire air pressure, good alignment, good tune up, change driving habits. If you got a lead foot - not much you can do about fuel economy.

In warm weather I will never get less than 30 MPG no matter how hard i drive it. My 95 has the 1.8 and OD automatic transmission.

If you have non-OD transmission, an emissions problem, a poorly maintained engine that has internal wear AND you drive it hard I could see you getting 20MPG.

What's up with that?
what have you added?

There so many, lets see:

-Aftermarket air Filter with pipes

-Apexi Fuel Controller (it's blue)

-KYB Struts

-Lowering Springs

-New muffler (don't know name)

-new cat (its in a blue box)

-'17 rims

I think I scratched the fuel sensor trying to fit it into the aftermarket pipe for the air filter. (it was loose, so I added a black bonding chemical, then Tried to take it out and cut the black stuff off)

Watch it playa, your corolla is a wing away from being officially rice.

Bikeman982

Could probably get better gas mileage with a good tune-up.

Also, you get zero miles per gallon when idling in traffic.

I have a 1994 automatic with the 1.8L engine and have been getting 29 MPG.

I have no modifications on it.

Most of the rice mods you have done shouldnt effect the milage... Unless the fuel controller has been installed incorrectly.

The only thing I can think of is that you are not burning all the fuel. Does the exhaust smell like gas?

(I replaced the plugs with the wrong ones and that screwed things up for me once - huge loss in power & all kinds of other nasty probs)

Like I said before, tune-up is prob first step (plugs, wires, etc).

While you are at it, have them check the diag codes.

Any other mods?

tdk.

Bikeman982

I have had several 7th generation Corollas (1993-1997) and have never had less than 25MPG.

As others have said - check the obvious, tune-up items, etc.

How far is the speedo off with 17" wheels? What was the original size? Did mileage change between the time you had the stock tires and after market ones?

Buy my Mustang. You will get a LOT more fun with 20MPG. default_smile It only has 16" rims tho, so that might be a problem for you.

Bikeman982

How far is the speedo off with 17" wheels? What was the original size? Did mileage change between the time you had the stock tires and after market ones?

Buy my Mustang. You will get a LOT more fun with 20MPG. default_smile It only has 16" rims tho, so that might be a problem for you.

You can figure the stock tires are 14" and the 17" would be 3" different, so that would be the change.

If you know the formula for the circumference - is it PI X r squared??

Translate that into feet and convert to miles per hour and then you will get the effect of the tire size change.

I believe the stock tires would get more RPM for their size than the 17" and therefore have a greater number of miles indicated at any given speed.

The 17" tires would rotate less at the same speed and would indicate less miles.

That translates into lower MPG for fuel consumption.

Does this make sense to anyone??

This guy has 3 other posts with multiple issues. why not fix the others before you start trying to improve your MPG. seems odd, I have never seen someone post so many problems is such a short time period (maybe I am mistaken).

Bikeman982

This guy has 3 other posts with multiple issues. why not fix the others before you start trying to improve your MPG. seems odd, I have never seen someone post so many problems is such a short time period (maybe I am mistaken).
Yea, he has multiple problems, although they may not be related or affecting each other.

He can fix his other problems at the same time that he is improving his fuel economy.

Sometimes a car gets neglected too much and eventually it takes some time, money and effort to get it in a better condition.

I try to take care of every problem, as they arise, in my cars, but occassionally more than one can happen at a time.

That is one of the better qualities of the Corolla - better relaibility.

There are cars that are far less reliable and spend a lot of time in the repair shop.

I have worked on several cars (sometimes one car with multiple problems) at a time and put multiple posts at the same time.

Fortunately people on this forum (given enough information) can help.

Hope this helps.

With new tires and 4 wheel alignment, my city mileage has gone from low 20's to high 20's. This in itself, has made a remarkable difference. I was told that I was kind of dragging at least two tires along.........

Bikeman982

With new tires and 4 wheel alignment, my city mileage has gone from low 20's to high 20's. This in itself, has made a remarkable difference. I was told that I was kind of dragging at least two tires along.........
Tire pressure, alignment and tire type can make a big difference in rolling resistance and mileage.

Topic List