Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

New Corolla Owner - 1999 Ve - Few Queries

By RAIN, May 19, 2007

Hi All,

I recently bought a 1999 Corolla VE model with about 86K miles. Car looks to be in a reasonably good condition. Being new to this model (and to corolla's as well) I have few doubts/queries. I shall be grateful if someone can please clarify those:

1) The gear selector (Automatic transmission) on most cars usually has small lights that indicate which gear is selected. On my corolla these little lights don't seem work. Is it due to some fault with electrical system or is it that this base model does not come with lights at all and has only a marker?

2) Inside the boot, the screws that secure the plastic panels that cover the tail-light are missing. Are those available separately?

3) After switching on, the cabin light takes about 2 seconds to turn-on. Is this a normal behavior?

4) Every few minutes the engine makes a loud grunting noise when idling. Is that normal or sign of some problem?

5) How good is a VE generally - engine/transmission(3 - speed) wise (discounting the no-frills aspect of it)?

Thanks in advance,

RA

Hi All,

I recently bought a 1999 Corolla VE model with about 86K miles. Car looks to be in a reasonably good condition. Being new to this model (and to corolla's as well) I have few doubts/queries. I shall be grateful if someone can please clarify those:

1) The gear selector (Automatic transmission) on most cars usually has small lights that indicate which gear is selected. On my corolla these little lights don't seem work. Is it due to some fault with electrical system or is it that this base model does not come with lights at all and has only a marker?

2) Inside the boot, the screws that secure the plastic panels that cover the tail-light are missing. Are those available separately?

3) After switching on, the cabin light takes about 2 seconds to turn-on. Is this a normal behavior?

4) Every few minutes the engine makes a loud grunting noise when idling. Is that normal or sign of some problem?

5) How good is a VE generally - engine/transmission(3 - speed) wise (discounting the no-frills aspect of it)?

Thanks in advance,

RA

1) Bought a used '99 Prizm (really a Corolla), have the same problem. I think its due to faulty wiring.

2) don't know, Toyota dealership probably has them.

3) you mean the insturment panel lights after you start up at night right? that's normal, but for me, it takes about 4-5 sec's its seems but its normal for the delay.

4) not sure about this one.

5) as far as reliability, great and great (if good maintence is followed)

1. Light burned out. Search the site for how-to fix it

2. No big deal. Try to look on the bottom of the trank, under the spare tire. Usually I found them there in my car. Dealer I'm sure would be glad to order them for you.

3. normal.

4. belt tensioner bearing is bad. No problem, just the ruttling sound. Cost 150$ + for the part + installation.

5. VE model with 3 speed AT usually a bit low on gas millage. Otherwise this car should last you a few years. keep attention to the oil and change it periodicly

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)