Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Automatic Transmission Cooler

by xuimod, May 18, 2007

Considering installing an automatic transmission cooler on my car (to keep the transmission running cooler and prolong its life). I'm not too famililar with how the Automatic transmission fluid is routed through the radiator on a '99 Corolla/Prizm (to enhance cooling). Would installation of the following cooler be effective in keeping my tranny cool or would just be a waste of money?

Auto Tranny Cooler

What makes you think you need one? I don't know the merits of this but I don't believe our Corollas need a transmission cooler.

If you do decide to use the cooler, DO NOT use those "through radiator" ties that are shown in the picture. Your car will bounce around and those ties will create a hole in the fins of your radiator.

If you do decide to use the cooler, DO NOT use those "through radiator" ties that are shown in the picture. Your car will bounce around and those ties will create a hole in the fins of your radiator.

Oh snip, too late. I installed the cooler today myself and used those zip ties, poked them right through the radiator. How is that going to effect my radiator? Tell me it will still work okay.

just remount it in some other way to something else, having tied to the radiator will damage the radiator over time.

If you have them snug enough so nothing moves but not too tight it won't harm anything, unless you're doing something really jarring like off-roading. Just make sure you use pads between the cooler and whatever it is you're mounting it to. I've had one on for over 15 years and nothing happened, and it does help increase the life of the transmission. I'm not sure of the exact numbers but every 10 to 20 degrees drop in oil temperature will increase your trans life by so many thousands of miles....something like that. You'll be surprised how hot that sucker gets in the summer or after you've climbed a steep grade. But for it to have the most effect it HAS to be mounted in front of the radiator.

If you have them snug enough so nothing moves but not too tight it won't harm anything, unless you're doing something really jarring like off-roading. Just make sure you use pads between the cooler and whatever it is you're mounting it to. I've had one on for over 15 years and nothing happened, and it does help increase the life of the transmission. I'm not sure of the exact numbers but every 10 to 20 degrees drop in oil temperature will increase your trans life by so many thousands of miles....something like that. You'll be surprised how hot that sucker gets in the summer or after you've climbed a steep grade.

Yeah I thought about what effect it would have, I think the effect of the zip ties on the radiator would be minimal. Its secured on there pretty tightly and the pads were used.

Think the figure was every 20 degree drop in temp doubles the life of the transmission. I installed a fairly big cooler (15" 1/2 x 7 1/2 x 3/4"; 'heavy duty' flavor) so I should be good.

Finally, my transmission will be protected from my rev-happy driving style.

You have to be careful how big you go, unless you plan on towing something you can "overcool" it. Particularly in the cooler months depending on where you live. Usually the manufacturer of the cooler can give you guidelines on how big to go.

You have to be careful how big you go, unless you plan on towing something you can "overcool" it. Particularly in the cooler months depending on where you live. Usually the manufacturer of the cooler can give you guidelines on how big to go.

Thought about that possibility. I think its only a danger in the winter months (for places that have winters) if a person doesn't give their car enough time to warm up.

Although I live in a place that has winters (NY) I'm not too worried. Just got to know when to be careful.

Topic List