Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Fun With Gm Power Window Motor

By NILLINOIS, May 16, 2007

My sister begged me to fix the driver side power window on her Buick Century. So yesterday ( & part of today ) I did it. The aftermarket motor was $30 at Autozone ( Made in Korea, and seemed be be made much better than the Delco version ), but getting everything out of the door, including the regulator, the train, and disconnecting everything is what took the longest time.

After further investigation on the web and google groups, I discovered that the failure rate on GM power window motors is well over 90% even on models as late as 2002. Delco motors are crap. GM Dealers are reportedly fixing 3-7 power window motors PER DAY usually out of warranty with a price tag of $300-$500. It wouldn't be such a bad job if they just didn't use RIVETS to hold the regulator and motor together, and the train to the door frame.

Bikeman982

My sister begged me to fix the driver side power window on her Buick Century. So yesterday ( & part of today ) I did it. The aftermarket motor was $30 at Autozone ( Made in Korea, and seemed be be made much better than the Delco version ), but getting everything out of the door, including the regulator, the train, and disconnecting everything is what took the longest time.

After further investigation on the web and google groups, I discovered that the failure rate on GM power window motors is well over 90% even on models as late as 2002. Delco motors are crap. GM Dealers are reportedly fixing 3-7 power window motors PER DAY usually out of warranty with a price tag of $300-$500. It wouldn't be such a bad job if they just didn't use RIVETS to hold the regulator and motor together, and the train to the door frame.

How does that compare to Corolla power windows?

My passenger side (front) power window stopped working.

Have you fixed any of them??

My passenger side (front) power window stopped working.Have you fixed any of them??

Make sure its not the switch that's bad. They have to be easier if they don't use rivets to hold them into the frame.

Bikeman982

I checked the power window motor and found worn brushes.

It works if I tap on the side of the motor. I don't know where I can get just the brushes.

I will look around at the junkyard, next time I go.

Topic List: Go to Everything Else