Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Amps And Subs

by Phoenix, May 16, 2007

what kind of amp and subs are good right now im lookin at pioneer for amp and maybe a brand called fusion for the subs are they a good brand or what do u recomend for a good amp and sub combo

Heres what i have so far:

Pioneer headunit 50x4

Stock speakers up front

two pioneer 3Way Speakers 220 watts

and two crappy audio pipe subs hooked up to the speakers right now if i get a amp ill blow them real easy

what kind of amp and subs are good right now im lookin at pioneer for amp and maybe a brand called fusion for the subs are they a good brand or what do u recomend for a good amp and sub combo

Heres what i have so far:

Pioneer headunit 50x4

Stock speakers up front

two pioneer 3Way Speakers 220 watts

and two crappy audio pipe subs hooked up to the speakers right now if i get a amp ill blow them real easy

Well, it does depend a lot on what type of sound you want. If you're just after loud, boomy bass, then it's pretty hard to go wrong. I'd stay away from the super-cheap brands, as the output will be pretty crappy. Basically, have a listen at your local car audio shop or Circuit City, Best Buy, places like that, and see what sounds good. If you're after nice deep bass with quick transients and not just the "one-note" boom, then brands like JL Audio, JBL, Infinity, and Eclipse are a good and relatively affordable way to go. If you're after something of competetion quality then brands like Massive Audio are for you. The higher end models from JL and Eclipse are supposed to be quite nice as well.

First find a good subwoofer for you, then find an amp that fits in its power range. It's never good to give a sub TOO much power, as it can cause distortion which can damage the sub. Too little power can be bad, too, as when you turn up the gain to compensate, it can cause the amp to clip and send power spikes to the sub, also damaging it! Class-D monoblock amps are probably the best bet for subwoofers as they provide plenty of clean, efficient power, and can usually even power two subs at once if you're feeling ambitious. They can be found anywhere from 150-2000 watts. Your local car audio shop should be able to provide plenty of good advice regarding subs and amps. Just tell them the kind of sound you're after and they can show you plenty of options.

I'm not much of a bass-freak, I just like to get the extension and to be able to hear the really low notes. I've got a 10" JL Audio W0 in a small-ish wedge enclosure. It's powered by an older Eclipse amp that gives it 200W rms. It does everything I ask of it, but I can guarantee that if you're really into bass you'll want a bigger subwoofer (or more than one). A 12" can move a lot more air and sound quite a bit louder, and the further up you go the louder it can get. Even two 10" subs can provide a surprisingly large amount of sound. Really cheap subs, though (like the kind you tend to find at auto parts shops), even if they're large won't do too much.

So, good luck, and we'll see if anyone else on these boards has some better advice! default_smile

I see no reason for a subwoofer in a 9th generation Corolla (if that's what you have). I've upgraded to a six speaker system with a modest amp and it puts out more than enough bass and I even have to turn it down. By the way, Toyota makes a subwoofer that comes with an amp if you really want one.

the one corolla i have is a 1989 toyota corolla le thats my daily driver and thats what ill be puttin the amps and subs into

I have not dealt in depth with Corolla audio (beyond installing H/U and replacing speakers), so I am not an expert.

However, I am in the industry, and have dealt with enough audio on other vehicles.

As a general rule, use good speakers up front and cheaper ones in teh rear (unless you can afford good speakers all around).

Most people (in north america) prefer to have more sound coming from in front of them (vs behind them), thus the good speakers (which you hear more) are in the front.

I will assume that you have a sub out (aka non-fader pre out), to which you are connecting the amp/subs.

Get a good amp. Also, you can never have "too much" power, but big power = big $$ & big size (space). For most "normal" people, 150w @ 4?/ch (rms) in MORE than enough.

If you get a good speaker but a cheap low powered amp, it can "blow" your "expensive" speaker.

Even if you hook up a cheap speaker to your awsome amp, you wont have issues dammaging the amp.

I am running a pair of 10" subs with an eclipse xa2000 in my truck. the amp sits under the driver seat

http://www.eclipse-web.com/amp/xa2000.html

I generally do not like booming bass (my baby is sitting the rear), but when I want it, its got power to spare.

For the most part, I like to have the little extra oomph of the kick drum when listening to music or the rumble when watching a dvd.

But if i want, the car will shake & buzz (i need to dynamat the vehicle)

In the saab, I will (project for next month) be running a single 10" sub with a 100w sony amp (dont rem what it was...)

I used this in my old saab and celica, and have enjoyed it enough to keep it every time i sold the cars.

again, more power than i need.

i think i have the gains up to 35-35% on the amps.

you mention audio pipe? no idea what that is, but is it powered? if so, yeah, you dont need any amps.

With all that said, like muzak asks, do you really need a sub? you could also go with a pair of 6x9 in the rear to give you the extra little bass.

it will save you a lot of trunk space and weight...

Finally, yes, Toyota offers a sub/amp package. However, as with any dealer, it will cost you an arm, both legs, and maybe some internal organs as well. For the price, you will get much more going with aftermarket.

so, for your set-up, my recomendation (i assume that $$ is an issue):

the pioneer speakers, are they in the rear?

1. get some decent front speakers

if you still want more bass,

2. get a decent 200-300watt 2ch amp & cheap sub (unless you can afford a "nice" sub). this should be more than enough power. or if you may want to just by-pass the amp on your current subs?

as for brands, there is no ONE brand that is the best. depends on your listening taste and budget.

good luck

tdk.

im lookin at getting two kickers from circuity city that are 75 for one and u get one free as for amp i dont know yet heres a pic of my audio pipes and they are not powered they sound worse than not powered..and a question is it possible for me to recover the box or paint it

Subs. Cool. I assume you will need a box.

Amp. Invest in something decent and with enough power.

"they are not powered they sound worse than not powered" - no idea what that means?!

can you reuse the box? (i cant access photobucket... something about firewalls...)

But, anything is possible with enough enginuity (did i spell that right?). The question is, is the effort worth it?

good luck

tdk.

i have crappy subs now with no amp and when i had the amp they sounded really bad it was all distorted and the box is ok but has a water spot on it and does anybody have anyideas on matierial to wrap it in

Topic List