Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Check Engine Light, P0353

by deeSanC, April 26, 2007

I have a 2005 Corolla CE with around 51,000 miles on it. At around 34,000 miles the Check Engine Light (CEL) came on and I took it to the dealer who scanned it to find the P0353 error code which is Ignition Coil "C" Primary/Secondary Circuit Malfunction. So the dealer replaced the ignition coil but after after a few days the CEL came back on. This time the dealer said nothing was wrong with the coil "C" by explaning that they exchanged ignition coil "C" with another one but the error code kept pointing to "C". So instead they said they replaced the PCM (I don't know if they really did or not).

This was all done before my 36000 mile factory warranty expired. After a few days the CEL came back on! This time they said there was some wiring problem that could be causing the CEL to keep coming back. However every once in a while the CEL will go off for a short period of time but then reappear. And now my car shudders occassionally for a second or two when I come to a stop I don't know if anyone has had a similar experience but it is frustrating to say the least. Now that my 36000 mile warranty has expired I will have to pay for any repairs although the problem started before the warranty expired. I think the dealer was trying to stall fixing the problem until after the 36000 mile warranty and get my money. I wonder if they even really did replace the ignition coil or the PCM. I don't have any proof!

Has anyone experienced something like this before? Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated!

ask them for your old parts back (too late now i know) or goto another dealer and ask them to verify the work....just tell them that another shop said they did this work but your problem still exists. if the other dealer cant find that its a new pcm or a new coil then for sure call the regional rep and complain about the bad dealer service center. getting regional on them will totally change their attitude towards fixing your car, they dont like being put under scrutiny. especially if theyre not doing things by the book and correctly.

• 1,424 posts
ask them for your old parts back (too late now i know) or goto another dealer and ask them to verify the work....just tell them that another shop said they did this work but your problem still exists. if the other dealer cant find that its a new pcm or a new coil then for sure call the regional rep and complain about the bad dealer service center. getting regional on them will totally change their attitude towards fixing your car, they dont like being put under scrutiny. especially if theyre not doing things by the book and correctly.

His dealer is unprofessional, he needs to take it to another one and explain his situation.

Any honest, professional dealer would have fixed the problem while he still had warranty left, not shuffled him around. Even if they didn't fix it the first time and the warranty expired before it occurred again, they would have gone to Toyota and gotten approval to fix a recurring problem with your vehicle that first occurred within the warranty at no cost to you.

I would definitely get regional involved, as Bitter said, dealers really don't like being put under scrutiny, especially ones with numerous customer complaints.

His dealer is unprofessional, he needs to take it to another one and explain his situation.

Any honest, professional dealer would have fixed the problem while he still had warranty left, not shuffled him around. Even if they didn't fix it the first time and the warranty expired before it occurred again, they would have gone to Toyota and gotten approval to fix a recurring problem with your vehicle that first occurred within the warranty at no cost to you.

I would definitely get regional involved, as Bitter said, dealers really don't like being put under scrutiny, especially ones with numerous customer complaints.

Thanks for the feedback. How do I get the Regional involved and do you know how I could contact them?

• 1,424 posts

Go and talk to another dealer about your problem. Ask them who the regional representative is for your area and how to contact them.

Another thing you could do is contact Toyota corporate via the link on www.Toyota.com.

This will take longer though.

Do you think the other dealer would take a look at my problem from another dealer for free? The only thing I'm concerned about is why the other dealer I choose to go to will be helpful in resolving a past recurring problem? I'm guessing they'll treat the problem as a new one and charge me more money just to look at the problem.

I would like Toyota to fix the problem (through whichever dealer) since the problem appeared first under warranty.

Another dealership will diagnose the problem - but not for free. I would suggest getting Toyota Corporate involved - with your current dealership or another. How you present yourself to management will also help - be professional, sincere, and firm on your stand. I've seen people go in and unload onto a service tech - will not help your cause any bit - may make you feel better - but the service advisors and management all have iron skins, they are pretty used to it.

Guest xiaogogo

Hello deeSanC -

Was your P0353 ODBII error ever resolved? I now have the same problem, and no matter what I swap around, the error code does not change. My 2005 CE has 46k miles. Thanks.

Bikeman982

Since the problem occurred while your car was still under warranty and was never truly resolved, I would hold the dealership responsible, until it gets fixed permanently.

Guest Corollabrendan

I have a 2007 Corolla CE with 94000km and my CEL shows PO353, which means either a coil or plug problem on the "C" coil. I have installed a new coil and the problem was fixed for about 50kms. The car bucks, and sputters and loses power upon accelerating. It almost shuts off, but always manages to revive. I'm using iridium spark plugs and wondering if that is my problem. I also find that the most expensive place to take a Toyota for repairs after the warranty has expired is the actual Toyota dealership. Given all the posts on PO353 problems, shouldn't Toyota have a recall on this?

I have 2007 Corolla CE with 56K miles. In April (2K miles ago) it started the sputtering, threw the P0353 code. Took it in, they replaced ignition coil #3...said I was good to go. Now it is July and the sputtering had returned back, throwing P0353 and now P0303 (#3 cylinder misfire). So I took it back in to the same dealer yesterday afternoon. Just got a call that the car is ready to pick up. They replaced the #3 iginition coil (again), said it was under the parts warranty. Let's see how long before the sputtering returns...will keep you posted.

Well, picked up the Corolla and was told I was good to go. Drove home, no problems. Next morning drove to work, no problems. On the drive home from work...problems. Started the sputtering again, this time worse than before. Unable to accelerate and barely able to maintain speed. Not good when on the interstate during afternoon rush-hour. Made it to dealership at 45 mph, but got there at 6:02. Service department closes up shop and becomes ghost town at 6:00 on the dot. So I left car in early drop-off and left a note telling them about the problem not being fixed no matter how many new ignition coils they install. Just because the computer sends a code saying there is a problem with a part doesn't necessarily mean the part is faulty. Told them that I had read online about other Corollas having this problem and the eventual solution was replacement of the ECM. Waiting to hear back from dealer as I type...

Hopefully they have a better diagnosis for you on this. Faulty ECM is definitely a possibility - though the issue usually manifests in a different manner than in your case, but the end results is the same - the car is not driveable, cannot be just the coil. They car is the right vintage and has the approximate mileage that others have seen failures at - so it makes this car a prime candidate for ECM issues. That alone should have got the tech to test the ECM and see if it is faulty or not - replacing the coil pack one time is perfectly logical, replace it a second time - that should raise questions. Now a third time - that should automatically say they mis-diagnosed the original problem. Personally, should have never gotten to the second coil replacement event - but that is just me.

I totally agree - the mechanic did not do his/her job correcly if they just scanned the code and replaced the part that the computer told them was faulty. They have to do diagnosic work as well - they have to ask: Why does the ECM say this part is bad? What would cause that part to fail? Are there any other explainations for this CEL?

Tech should have also checked compression and verified that the injector in that cylinder is OK. If those are found to be in working order and the coil doesn't exhibit any signs of beign faulty - they have to work backwards and expand they search - check the wiring, check grounds, check fuel pressures, etc. Eventually, they will eliminate potential culprits until they are left with that lone culprit.

Sorry it took me a while to get back...The dealer replaced the ECM...covered by the 8/80K warranty. Have had no sputtering, no CEL, no problems whatsoever since.

Toyota Announces Voluntary Safety Recall on Certain Toyota Corolla and Corolla Matrix Models

TORRANCE, Calif., August 26, 2010 -- Toyota Motor Sales (TMS), U.S.A., Inc., today announced that it will conduct a voluntary safety recall involving approximately 1.13 million 2005-2008 Model Year Toyota Corolla and Corolla Matrix vehicles sold in the United States to address some Engine Control Modules (ECM) that may have been improperly manufactured. No other Toyota or Lexus vehicles are involved in this recall.

On vehicles equipped with the 1ZZ-FE engine and two-wheel drive, there is a possibility that a crack may develop at certain solder points or on the electronic component used to protect circuits against excessive voltage (varistor), on the ECM's circuit board. In most cases, if a crack occurs at certain solder points or on certain varistors, the check engine may illuminate, harsh shifting could result, or the engine may not start. In limited instances, if cracking occurs on particular solder points or varistors, the engine could stop while the vehicle is being driven.

There are three unconfirmed accidents alleged to be related to this condition, one of which reported a minor injury.

Steve St. Angelo, Toyota chief quality officer for North America, said, "This recall is an example of our commitment to standing by our products and being responsive to our customers. Our goal is to help ensure that Toyota drivers are completely confident in the safety and reliability of their vehicles."

As part of the recall, the ECM on involved vehicles will be replaced at no charge to the owner. Beginning in mid-September 2010, Toyota will mail an interim notification to advise owners of this recall and the fact that they will receive a future notice when parts become available to complete the repairs. Owners who have previously paid for replacement of the ECM to address this specific condition should refer to the owner letter for reimbursement consideration instructions.

Topic List