Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Cam Adjustments

by twinky64, April 23, 2007

I was talking to one of my friends and my dad about my car. I was told that an engine with no hydraulically controlled cams should be re-adjusted every once in a while or else the valves won't seat correctly and shorten the lifespan of the engine. Does anybody know what they are talking about? What is it that needs to be adjusted? Is it a big concern?

It is a so called "valve adjustment" and should be done when the valvetrain needs it. Normally part of an audible check on our 1ZZ-FE engines - but I've yet see one require an adjustment before 100K miles. Some cars require more adjustments than others - the engine in the 8th gen was designed for long service intervals - unless something happened to the valvetrain to have excessive wear up there - you should be OK.

I took a peek at mine at 60K - was spot on. Took another peek at 120K - same deal, clearances are spot. Now with close to 145K - still no excessive noise, and I don't pamper my car at all.

It is a so called "valve adjustment" and should be done when the valvetrain needs it. Normally part of an audible check on our 1ZZ-FE engines - but I've yet see one require an adjustment before 100K miles. Some cars require more adjustments than others - the engine in the 8th gen was designed for long service intervals - unless something happened to the valvetrain to have excessive wear up there - you should be OK.

I took a peek at mine at 60K - was spot on. Took another peek at 120K - same deal, clearances are spot. Now with close to 145K - still no excessive noise, and I don't pamper my car at all.

I have over 200k miles. Do I need to get my valves adjusted?

Only if the valvetrain fails an audible test - basically it sounds like they need to be adjusted. Varies from car to car - some need adjustment sooner than others. Some can go hundreds of thousands of miles with no valve adjustments needed. The 1ZZ-FE being a relatively newer engine - only time will tell. If you are concerned - you can always have the valves checked.

If the valve lifters do need adjusting, you will hear a metallic "tapping" sound-very distinctive, not to be confused with the normal "clicking" fuel injector noise. I used to own a 1990 Nissan Pulsar 1.6 L, and at 120,000KM, the motor sounded like a tambourine. Non hydraulic lifters too, so there was no adjusting to be done...

Only if the valvetrain fails an audible test - basically it sounds like they need to be adjusted.
What does that sound like?

Sounds like someone tossed in a handful of washers and bolts into the top of the engine. The 1ZZ-FE is pretty noisy to begin with - but something with poor valve clearance would be quite noticable. Usually if the sound doesn't disappear when the engine warms up or gets worse - potentially have a valve clearance issue. Though, you would probably have a better chance of finding the timing chain guide being worn than finding the valve clearances being off.

Sounds like someone tossed in a handful of washers and bolts into the top of the engine. The 1ZZ-FE is pretty noisy to begin with - but something with poor valve clearance would be quite noticable. Usually if the sound doesn't disappear when the engine warms up or gets worse - potentially have a valve clearance issue. Though, you would probably have a better chance of finding the timing chain guide being worn than finding the valve clearances being off.
thanks

Topic List