Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Serpentine Belt Noise

by collector, April 9, 2007

Hi all

2003 CE with 57,000KM, and a fair amount of belt squeal when starting up in wet weather. Not noticeable when it is dry, or the car is warmed up. I checked the top and underside of the belt, and it looks like new condition, with no groove wear/cracking/glazing at all. I thought maybe it was a bit loose but according to Hayne's, the tensioner automatically corrects any slack with no adjustment needed. "Belt dressing" spray seems to quell it temporarily...is it something I should be concerned about, or should I just crank the 'tunes until the motor warms up? default_tongue

I have had the same problem with my wifes 2005 Corolla. I am fairly certain that the problem comes from the belt tensioner. This seems like a bad design to me (using a shock style tensioner). I took her car to the dealer to try to get this fixed or replaced, and they, of course, claimed nothing was wrong and didn't hear any sound at all...

Hi all 2003 CE with 57,000KM, and a fair amount of belt squeal when starting up in wet weather. Not noticeable when it is dry, or the car is warmed up. I checked the top and underside of the belt, and it looks like new condition, with no groove wear/cracking/glazing at all. I thought maybe it was a bit loose but according to Hayne's, the tensioner automatically corrects any slack with no adjustment needed. "Belt dressing" spray seems to quell it temporarily...is it something I should be concerned about, or should I just crank the 'tunes until the motor warms up? default_tongue
I've had the problem and it drove me mad. Just replace the belt, they're only $10-$15. After 57k miles you'll be looking to change it in another year. When i changed my belt, the squeal disappeared.

Thanks guys-the tensioner seems to be ok from what I can see. (no hydraulic leaks), so I think I will pick up a new belt for my next oil change. default_wink

The gatorback belts are a popular fix.

I had same issue. Replaced the belt and it was gone!

Topic List