Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Slick 50

By timkedz, April 4, 2007

Hi, all:

Quick question here;

I found a bottle of Slick 50 when I was cleaning out my garage the other day and I was wondering if it would be okay to use that in my 2000 Corolla with the 1ZZ-FE engine? Does anyone have any experience with this stuff?? Since Toyota engines are somewhat notorious for having issues with sludge, would this help or hurt it??

Any advice or comments would be appreciated!!

Thanks,

timkedz

As with most engine oil additives and given their recent history (Slick 50) - I would definitely say NOT to add it. Unless you have an engine on its last legs, then at that point - you really do not have anything to lose. Remember - that not too long ago - they lost to the FTC for making unsubstantiated claims to reduced engine wear, increased performance, etc.

Some people swear by additives - others have had nothing but nightmares from them. Bottom line is that if they really did work - they would come with supplied with the car from the manufacturer. Like most things - if it sounds too good to be true, ... I was fortunant enough to work in industries that show me the behind the scenes workings with oil chemistry and additives. Some of it very suprising - maybe a discussion for some other time.

Had a friend that was gonna buy some, I convinced him to invest in synth oil instead. I also seem to recall that they claim the Teflon in the oil impregnates itself in the engines metal....only thing is someone forgot to tell DuPont about that...

That would be a good one Fish.

..........maybe a discussion for some other time.

I would love to say more - but its this pesky NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement) that most researchers have to fill out before that start any work.

But I'll throw in little bits if I can default_biggrin

Topic List: Go to Everything Else