Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Smog Pump Inlet Hose Size

by jupiterboy, April 2, 2007

I've got a small project and I'm wanting to get some info so I can get the parts together.

Does anyone know the size of the hose inlet on the smog pump? This is the hose that goes from the filter box to the pump.

I'm 2ZZ, 2005.

3/4 inch

Good to know. I don't think it is even that size in the Matrix XRS. Must be something one specific to the Corolla XRS.

Good to know. I don't think it is even that size in the Matrix XRS. Must be something one specific to the Corolla XRS.

Well a 3/4 heater hoze works. I took out the filter box and added a K&N crank case filter to the pump—located it up by the battery where it should stay relatively dry. I took out the "snorkel" and replaced it with the CAI tube from the 1ZZ SC install kit.

No CEL so far.

So Mr. Fish, your lift engagement point is 6200 RPM? Sounds like you've got the prime year Matrix.

Yes, Lift on my year Matrix kicks in at 6200 RPMs, max torque at 6800 RPMs, and redline at 8200 RPMs. A bit more room to work with - I believe these are similar to the 7th gen Celica GT-S. Was thinking about a HydraEMS to drop the lift switchover point, but lots of info floating around indicates that 6K RPMs on the earlier 2ZZGE seem to be the sweet spot. Just too much cam for earlier switchover point.

For the later 2ZZGE, like the ones in the Corolla XRS - a few seemed to be real happy with a 5700 RPM switchover point.

Thanks for the heads up on the hose diameter. I was considering purchasing a clean Corolla XRS that was advertised locally - that or build up my Corolla. Recently, a parking lot SNAFU left my little Corolla a beat up (looks like a Fullsize P/U or SUV jumped the median, run up over a hill, through the parking lot and pushed my lone parked Corolla about 25 feet into a light pole - of course, no one saw NOTHING and driver of vehicle ran off - happened when I was away on business). Oh well - hopefully, insurance and the police have enough evidence on scene to catch the person responsible - mean time I have the car in a running state, doesn't look pretty - but gets me to work on time. Tough little car.

Ouch. Sry to hear about the car. Twenty-five feet? I admire the determination.

With mods, the peoplle that make the plunge first are usually the biggest advocates. I hear the Hydra is about ready with V.2.6, which may or may not include hardware upgrades. It doesn't work with the stock temp gauge, so alternate gauge is needed.

As for the Corolla, it is a bit lighter than the Matrix. I've noticed new info about engine braces coming out, which could be a good addition. Sixty-eight hundred RPM lift is very high though. I notice the ECU will allow you to drift lower and stay in lift after you have the secondary cam engaged. If I was starting out with a tune I might look at 6100 RPMs as a point, but what do I know.

So far the light wheels and flywheel have enhanced the drive experience most.

Topic List