Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Corolla Quality Going Downhill ?

by bhp02, March 31, 2007

well, I visited a mechanic to check out my bearings and it seemed to him that one of them is going bad.

Now, the older corollas did not have this problem at 90k miles, the 2003 did.

The new brakes also squeel alot, even thought the parts are like 3X more expensive than

15 yrs ago. My blower fan is not acting normally eventhough I changed the resistor.

The reliability , according to the mechanic of the corollas(made in US) like mine are going down hill.

There was another person with a car less than 30k with electrical problem that never got fixed under

warrranty.

are the new corollas getting worse than the previous generations ??

I for one am getting dissappointed that items that should last the life of the car are going

already.

What are your experiences ??

Japanese companies have begun building Corollas in the US in order to appeal more to the American market. Perhaps they should start building them back in Japan and Canada. An interesting fact to note; most Toyotas have more American manufactured parts in them than Chevys or Fords, which are built in Mexico. It seems like anything built in America seems to come out as junk, and anything out of Mexico is exponentially worse.

I haven't had much in terms of issues with my 98' Corolla. I did have to replace my tires and brakes a while back which cost a lot, but most cars need that by 60k miles. The previous owner of my car didn't do crap aside from oil changes. My Mom's 04' Corolla hasn't experienced any problems, though it only has 40k miles on it.

well, I visited a mechanic to check out my bearings and it seemed to him that one of them is going bad.Now, the older corollas did not have this problem at 90k miles, the 2003 did.

The new brakes also squeel alot, even thought the parts are like 3X more expensive than

15 yrs ago. My blower fan is not acting normally eventhough I changed the resistor.

The reliability , according to the mechanic of the corollas(made in US) like mine are going down hill.

There was another person with a car less than 30k with electrical problem that never got fixed under

warrranty.

I for one am getting dissappointed that items that should last the life of the car are going

already.

Is your car built at NUMMI? Looks like it's going back to its roots. default_laugh

I am totally addicted to 8th gen TMMC-built Corollas. Ours is one stout little pig that recovers from multiple accidents. Must be the unlucky plate. default_ph34r

Get one built in TMMC, home of the only Lexus plant outside Japan. default_laugh

well, I visited a mechanic to check out my bearings and it seemed to him that one of them is going bad.Now, the older corollas did not have this problem at 90k miles, the 2003 did.

warrranty.

already.

I have an early build 2003 Toyota Corolla (02/02 build date) from the TMMC. Luckily most of my issues have been with build quality and comestic issues with the exception of the annoying clutch squeak issue and the cold rev fluctuations (rare for me since my car spends a lot of time in the garage).

When Toyota can't build a plastic console door that last more than 3 years, or weatherstripping that stays on the car for more than 1 year, it makes me wonder what else they put in my car's critical components (powertrain, steering, brakes, suspension, etc) that has a very short service life.

Attached is a pic of my console door when I entered my car one morning.

http://members.shaw.ca/Akagi_Redsuns/warp.jpg

My brakes lasted a little over 100,000 kms and was fine when I swapped them out for a new set.

The following is what I posted in another Corolla forum.

OK,

I bought one of the first 9th gen's on the market (early 2002 build date), so I expected some initial problems, but I figured it would be minor as hey "This is a Toyota and there are built with quality and reliability" ...or so I thought.

So anyways, what is my question? How as your 9th Gen Corolla been to you? Is mine a isolated incident and the rest of the Corolla population is problem-free and built like a tank?

One of my friends is looking for a new car and has been in my car a few times. Loves the room, the pep and the fuel economy. He asked my opinion of my car, and it always comes down to a love/hate thing. Love the subtle styling, big room inside, the horsepower, fuel economy, the ride/comfort, interior, big duty heater when its -30C...etc.

But why oh why does it feel like it's so cheaply put together? Beyond regular service my Corolla has been a the dealer for warranty work at least 10 times. My car is bone stock and no mods at all. Now that my 60,000kms/3 year bumper-to-bumper is over, I now have clutch issues....which is not covered under the powertrain warranty....how nice. And yes I have been driving cars with a manual for well over 15 years so no smart alec comments that I don't know how to drive lol default_smile

So anyways, how has your Corolla held up? I hope that I am in the minority as its been a frustrating experience going to the dealer for this and that. So far it has been all covered, but the free ride is now over default_sad Can't help but think that I may have picked the wrong car for trouble-free cheap motoring.

[ EDIT (NILLINOIS-I fixed photo url ]

unfortunately, I also have the same problem with the lid on the dash, it broke because once a flimsy

pair of sunglasses were caught inside. I took the cover off because there was no easy fix.

Next time, buy a japan assebled vehicle.

• 1,424 posts

Toyota does not build wheel bearings, brakes, or any interior components.

Toyota uses some of the same suppliers that Ford and GM use because they don't have a choice, there are only a handful of suppliers that can make the number of parts Toyota needs per year. Those suppliers can't always crank out perfect parts. Quite frankly having family that works in the automotive industry I can say that, you get what you pay for. A Corolla is an inexpensive car and because of that they have to take shortcuts somewhere. At least Toyota didn't take the route Ford did and leave us with doors that won't stay closed and wheel bearings that catch on fire.

You all who believe Toyota can make perfect cars are kidding yourselves.

Regardless of where the vehicle is built, vehicles have problems. I can show you plenty of vehicles built in the land of the rising sun that have reliability problems (really serious ones) too.

I think the era of cheap, but high quality, Japanese cars is over. My mum and pop's Civic and Accord was built in 1985 and 1988 in Japan using mostly Japanese made parts. These two cars had virtually zero problems, and they are still providing reliable transportation. My '92 Corolla (Canadian made) is also very reliable. On the other hand, my friends' newer Civics, Corollas, Sentras, etc all seem to have issues. They all want to upgrade their vehicle as soon as they make all payments. The newer high priced Japanese cars are still very well made. My colleague's Acura TL has performed flawlessly, and its quality rival those from Germany.

Therefore, I've come to the following conclusion about Japanese cars in general. In recent years the economy cars of Japanese brand have taken a nose dive in quality and reliability; while mid and premium level cars of Japanese brand have increased quality and maintained bullet proff reliability.

I think the trend of Japanese brand is very much predictable. What I mean is that as Japanese brands take over the more lucrative mid and premium car maker, the Japanese brands will focus more on the profitable part of the business, and can care less about the less profitable parts. They want us to feel unsatisfied with our Corollas and buy mid level or premium products like Camary or Avalon. If they make Corollas with high quality and reliability, who would want to upgrade?

i have heard that the honda civics are suffering too these days.

Anything made in the good ole USA = poor quality.

Soon, the chinese will make better quality cars.

I think the trend of Japanese brand is very much predictable. What I mean is that as Japanese brands take over the more lucrative mid and premium car maker, the Japanese brands will focus more on the profitable part of the business, and can care less about the less profitable parts. They want us to feel unsatisfied with our Corollas and buy mid level or premium products like Camary or Avalon. If they make Corollas with high quality and reliability, who would want to upgrade?

The people that would want to upgrade would be the people that want more power, more room, more power luxury items, more sound isolation and of course the prestige of the nicer name-plate. Not everyone wants that, like me. I just want a ca that is truly an appliance as I have another car in my garage that has soul, passion and is my toy.

Thing is, if the manufacturer builds a crappy entry level car, why would I consider sticking with the same manufacturer? I wouldn't mind paying an extra $2K and get some better build quality/parts, why did the Corolla need to be cheap? It was never a bargain car in the past, that's what cars like the Sunfire, Accents and Tercels were for. When I do want to upgrade, I won't be picking Toyota or Lexus as my next car just based on my experiences with my car, but more importantly the corporate intenty behind it that refused to stand behind thier product while offering brutal customer service.

I own two Corollas, one is a 2001 and the other 2007. I bought both of them brand new. The 2001 has 210,000 miles on it and the 2007 has 4000 miles. I could write a lot on the subject about compairing the two cars but in summary I prefer to drive the 2001 more. The 2007 is more attractive and has more room inside but other than that, the 2001 is better in everthing else. I guess I can't really complain though because the 2007 was actually less expensive than the 2001, either that or I just learned more about bargaining for a car over the years.

Wow, 210k miles on an 01' model. That will show all those nay-sayers around here (particularly TRCar54) who have been criticising the 8th gen Corollas as unreliable. My car is definately very reliable, but god it's so cheaply built! You can push on the plastic moldings in my car and feel it move. I wish Toyota had put some re-enforcements on it, or some foaming inside so it felt sturdier. As for broken console door Lethal 7, I wouldn't knock Toyota for that. Luxury cars aren't built out of titanium; they have plastic interiors and can be broken too. The previous owner of my friend's Audi snapped the cigarette lighter/ashtray cover. What's worse, because it's an exclusive Audi part that's hard to comeby on places like eBay, he had to get it replaced for about $100. To replace a console door on a Corolla would probably be half as much.

Cheaply shouldn't be neccessarily considered a bad thing. In many hisorical cases, the most simply designed machines often beat those that are more complex and harder to fix. A Corolla beats out the competition because not only reliability, but expense. You compare mantenance costs of Corollas against luxury cars, or even near luxury cars like a beefed up Camry, and the Corolla wins. Everything from oil changes and tires, to console parts and seat covers are exponentially cheaper to replace. Although I like this aspect of Corollas, I do wish that Toyota offered an upscale version of the Corolla, maybe even a Lexus version of the Corolla.

I was wondering about the build quality of the newer generation Toyotas...I owned a 1988 4x4 pickup with the 3.0L for about 9 years with relatively few reliabilty issues (except for body rust, a problem I accepted). Sadly, she bid farewell to me 2 weeks ago, but with 270,000KM on a 19 year old truck, I wasn't complaining a lot...it owned me nothing, and she gave me a lot of trouble free kilometers. I found a worthy replacement..a 2003 Corolla CE 5 speed with only 55,000KM on her...Unfortunately, I test drove her in a rainstorm, and what I thought was tire noise turned out to be a faulty right rear wheel bearing....at 55,000 (actual) kilometers? I was kind of nonplussed, but since I replaced the bearing, she runs faultlessly...LOVE my 'Yotal !!! default_wink

Wow, 210k miles on an 01' model.
the 2001 model was last of the bullet proof reliable models in my opinion,bought the

2003 model based on friends 2001 model.... a mistake.

The quality of my 2006 Corolla is first class. Now with 15000 kms, no faults, no squeaks or rattles, bodywork as tight as a drum. Runs smooth and quiet and for a small car, mine is the wagon/estate, is super value for money. I use synthetic engine oil, changed the gearbox (manual) oil to synthetic at 7000 kms and just changed the power steering fluid to synthetic. My other car is a Kluger/Highlander V6 which has also been flawless. The best car quality wise I have owned was a Volvo 940 which was superb and built like a battleship but my 2 Toyotas will last for ages I hope.

Roger

g'day,

i was employed by rotawheels (rotawheels.com) before and was involved in the development of alloy wheels for toyota oem.

of all the japanese carmaker, toyota is very meticulous w/ regards to quality. it must pass very rigid destructive testing (30 deg impact, 45 deg impact, cornering fatigue test, salt spray test and dimensional test). most of the time all the destructive testing parameters are set higher than the standard JASO parameters recommend. during the development all wheel samples are are been brought to japan for testing confirmation even though they have pass w/ flying colors during in house testing. during my tenure in that company never have i seen wheel separation/ disintegration.

with regards w/ my corolla the only problem i experience is the roof pillar support plastic cover sometimes fall. if i see it it gonna fall all i gonna do is just snap it back to its position. its annoying but overall i am very satisfied and happy w/ my corolla.

rey t

Keep talking....you're good at that.

I see you've learned a new word.

Wow, 210k miles on an 01' model. That will show all those nay-sayers around here (particularly TRCar54) who have been criticising the 8th gen Corollas as unreliable.

...........exponentially cheaper to replace. Although I like this aspect of Corollas, I do wish that Toyota offered an upscale version of the Corolla, maybe even a Lexus version of the Corolla.

I think all the car makers are having trouble because current cars are way more complex then they used to be and build cost is tighter then (insert first thing that comes to mind).

I chose a Toyota because of the value that they hold and in 05, I liked the Corolla better then the Civic. Other cars are more exciting, and have more power, but for now, I'm banking on the Corollas value to hold up so when trade in comes, it is not a worthless piece of crap worth $400. At the moment, trade in value is more then we owe on our car, so if we trade up when car payments are over, we should be able to upgrade.

Quality aside, Toyota and Honda still hold value, and that's all I care about.

Good points all.

I bought mine strictly as a 30K per year commuter car that will get me through the year with minimal maintenance. It has proven to do just that for me.

I just read an article a few weeks ago.....not sure where, but it stated that the trend is for people to lump "Japanese Cars" together in terms of quality and reliability. It went on to state that the others are quite far behind Toyota and Honda in that regard and aren't much better (if at all) than the American offerings.

I think all the car makers are having trouble because current cars are way more complex then they used to be and build cost is tighter then (insert first thing that comes to mind).

I chose a Toyota because of the value that they hold and in 05, I liked the Corolla better then the Civic. Other cars are more exciting, and have more power, but for now, I'm banking on the Corollas value to hold up so when trade in comes, it is not a worthless piece of crap worth $400. At the moment, trade in value is more then we owe on our car, so if we trade up when car payments are over, we should be able to upgrade.

Quality aside, Toyota and Honda still hold value, and that's all I care about.

Topic List