Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Center Console Question

by bejor77, March 20, 2007

Hi Everyone,

I have a 2005 Corolla, and recently the hinge in the center console has become loose, I unscrewed it and found that the little parts on either side of the hinge, where it pivots up and down are broken.

As I live in Venezuela, asked the local Toyota Representative but says they only sell the whole Console, which I find is not fair.

I tried to Contact the guys in originaltoyotaparts.com but the lady who answered my questions was very unhelpful as she said they don't ship outside US, even when I told her I have a shipping address in the US, she said: Whish you good luck trying to find the part

So, do you know what part number are those parts on the sides of the hinge, and where can I buy it from the internet?

Thanks and sorry for the long post.

Try 1sttoyotaparts.com. They might have it.

Try eBay. Alot of people sell parts from dismantled Corollas they get, and international shipping usually isnt an issue. I personally get alot of my 8th Gen Corolla parts from a guy called color480. He's a scrap yard dealer who took apart a 2000 Corolla VE recently. Its great; ever little part I need like the shifter trim or an a/c button, I can get from him.

Thanks, I will take a look.

I wrote to the guys in 1sttoyotaparts.com but still no news from them. I was looking in their catalog, and it seems they have the parts, but I don't know exactly if it's correct to call them stoppers, here you can see a picture, with the parts circled in red:

Bikeman982

I wrote to the guys in 1sttoyotaparts.com but still no news from them. I was looking in their catalog, and it seems they have the parts, but I don't know exactly if it's correct to call them stoppers, here you can see a picture, with the parts circled in red:

They look like the screws that hold the top to the console.

Where are yours broken?

They look like the screws that hold the top to the console.

Where are yours broken?

Those little black parts are where the console top is screwed to the rest of the console. The one broken is the one you see at the right of the picture, it goes inserted in the hinge to allow it to pivot up and down. Later in the day, I'll take it out and show it to you in a better picture.

• 1,424 posts

Dealers can only order parts. What you want is not a part. It is a sub assembly as it is a piece that makes up a larger part. Only suppliers have those sub assemblies available to them.

Unfortunately, suppliers will not sell those sub assemblies to anyone other than the manufacturer, and they only sell them as part of the larger assembly, like the console.

The only option you have is to find a junkyard part and take the part you want off of it.

Edit:

Don't you have a warranty on your car? Warranties are supposed to replace things like that when they break. What you're describing is common on Corollas, and the dealer should replace it for free. In the US they will if the car is less than 3 years old from its in-service date and has less than 36,000 miles (60,000 km).

Dealers can only order parts. What you want is not a part. It is a sub assembly as it is a piece that makes up a larger part. Only suppliers have those sub assemblies available to them.

Unfortunately, suppliers will not sell those sub assemblies to anyone other than the manufacturer, and they only sell them as part of the larger assembly, like the console.

The only option you have is to find a junkyard part and take the part you want off of it.

Edit:

Don't you have a warranty on your car? Warranties are supposed to replace things like that when they break. What you're describing is common on Corollas, and the dealer should replace it for free. In the US they will if the car is less than 3 years old from its in-service date and has less than 36,000 miles (60,000 km).

Well, lets tell the complete story: I live in Venezuela and we only have 2 years for warranty, I'still have it for 10K kms more, but I have problems with them finding parts: I have more than 3 months waiting for the Glass channel for the right door window, because they import them for production and not for replacement. Waiting for this console, I can see it taking a lot more. I'll try with the junkyard then.

I'll let you know how this turns out. Thanks again

Erick

I have an '05 CE and wanted to change the console cover a while back. You can just order the cover with the hinge as I wanted the higher one from the LE model. One was about $300!! and the stock one is about half that. My buddy at Toyota told me they come in quite often under warranty and he will GIVE me one when the right colour comes in as he just throws them in the garbage. That's ok with me as there is nothing wrong with my hinge.

• 1,424 posts
Well, lets tell the complete story: I live in Venezuela and we only have 2 years for warranty, I'still have it for 10K kms more, but I have problems with them finding parts: I have more than 3 months waiting for the Glass channel for the right door window, because they import them for production and not for replacement. Waiting for this console, I can see it taking a lot more.

Erick

Waiting 3 months for something as simple as a window glass channel is unbelievable. What happens when something that makes the car undriveable breaks? Do you just have a un-driveable car for 3 months.

Well, lets tell the complete story: I live in Venezuela and we only have 2 years for warranty, I'still have it for 10K kms more, but I have problems with them finding parts: I have more than 3 months waiting for the Glass channel for the right door window, because they import them for production and not for replacement. Waiting for this console, I can see it taking a lot more.

Erick

Waiting 3 months for something as simple as a window glass channel is unbelievable. What happens when something that makes the car undriveable breaks? Do you just have a un-driveable car for 3 months.

Well to make a story short: almost 2 years ago, I had a rollover in the highway with a Land Cruiser Prado (a car had it's stearing broken while driving by my side) and just touched my left rear wheel. The truck spent 11 months and 25 days in the shop because every time they fixed something there was something missing. I don't blame toyota. I blame the governmen we have, since there are restrictions for international currency operations, you need government authorizations and a lot of crap in the middle.

In the end, that's why I chose my Corolla with the 1ZZ-FE Engine instead of the 1.6 (3ZZ-FE) since if something really bad happens to an engine part, I can really find it from the US. But for example, the brakes are not the same. My corolla has 4 wheel disc-brakes, and the pads from the XRS for example are not compatible. Even the rims are different, the Corollas here come with 4 bolts, instead of 5.

Each time I see so many diferences, makes me think if Toyota is some times Dumb, because it would be easier to have more common parts as possible.

Ti-Jean

I have an '05 CE and wanted to change the console cover a while back. You can just order the cover with the hinge as I wanted the higher one from the LE model. One was about $300!! and the stock one is about half that. My buddy at Toyota told me they come in quite often under warranty and he will GIVE me one when the right colour comes in as he just throws them in the garbage. That's ok with me as there is nothing wrong with my hinge.

This is probably how I got a LE armrest for my CE on eBay for about $15. US.

My stock cover now sits somewhere in my garage.

Bikeman982

Edit:

Well, lets tell the complete story: I live in Venezuela and we only have 2 years for warranty, I'still have it for 10K kms more, but I have problems with them finding parts: I have more than 3 months waiting for the Glass channel for the right door window, because they import them for production and not for replacement. Waiting for this console, I can see it taking a lot more. I'll try with the junkyard then.

Erick

The waiting period to get parts to Venezuela really is a long time.

Too bad your warranty is only for 2 years.

Do you have a lot of junkyards near where you are?

Edit:

Erick

A bit far from home and work, but already asked a friendo to take a look around as he knows a few owners of junkyards. I think that will be the best way to go.

Thanks for the advices

Bikeman982

Edit:

Erick

A bit far from home and work, but already asked a friendo to take a look around as he knows a few owners of junkyards. I think that will be the best way to go.

Thanks for the advices

We hope your friend can come thru for you. Good luck.

Topic List