Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

7afe Crank

by GWEE, March 15, 2007

i see alot of talk about the 7age hybrid and how sometimes it can be a bitch to do. would putting the crank from a 7afe into a 4age block be possible?

ext: small block 400 crank in a 350 block strokes it out to 376cuin

i see alot of talk about the 7age hybrid and how sometimes it can be a bitch to do. would putting the crank from a 7afe into a 4age block be possible?

ext: small block 400 crank in a 350 block strokes it out to 376cuin

I think all the talk about such hybrid is about slapping a 4AGE head over a 7AFE block, complete with crank from latter.

yea but all the bull you have to go through to build it. wouldnt be just easyer to have a longer stroke crank in the 4age be a better choice?

Bikeman982

Is it the crank that causes the longer stroke, or the connecting rods??

its the crank that causes for a long stroke.

ext: a small block 350 has a 3.480" stroke and the smallblock 400 has a 3.750

the 7afe has a 85.5mm stroke and i guess the 4age engine has the same size stroke as the 4afe engine which is 77mm.

Bikeman982

I think it might be easier to change the entire block , than to change the crank.

woulnt you have to take the crank out anyway to change the pistons? dont more ppl that build the 7age use the pistons from the 4age?

the main bearings are different size iirc. when you make a 7age you put a 4age head on a 7afe block, you must also have 4age pistons modified to fit the stock 7afe rods or get aftermarket rods.

does anybody have specs and pics of both the cranks. like size of main journals, crank journals ect. ect.

Bikeman982

does anybody have specs and pics of both the cranks. like size of main journals, crank journals ect. ect.
I have a crank in my garage I can take a picture of.

The specs are in the repair manuals.

which crank you have (4ag or 7af)?

i will get a manual of both engines when i get a chance. i have a 7afe engine soafter my shop is built this summer i will take the engine apart to inspect it.

ok just finished looking at both engine specs. i now see that the two heads are not the only differents, the block has some differents also. as said before the 4age has a crank size of 77mm and the 7afe has a crank size of 85.5mm. looking at the 4age engine with will require grinding on the block with a maximum stroke approaching 81~ 82mm. max. also the deck height on the 4age is 191mm and the 7age deck height is 206mm.

so thnks guys now i see.........

yep, and thats why they just swap the head rather than the crank.

Bikeman982

which crank you have (4ag or 7af)?i will get a manual of both engines when i get a chance. i have a 7afe engine soafter my shop is built this summer i will take the engine apart to inspect it.
I have dissassembled a 4A-FE engine (just to see the internals).

I have another bad 4A-FE engine in my yard I may take apart as well.

The car in my garage had a bad 7A-FE engine and I took it out and it is also in my yard.

I don't know which parts are good unless I do some measuring, but the broken parts I can tell pretty easily.

Anyone need any 1.6L engine parts?

were can i get aftermarket parts for the 4age engine

(pistons, rods, cranks ect ect)

Bikeman982

were can i get aftermarket parts for the 4age engine

(pistons, rods, cranks ect ect)

Try asking at this website - http://www.6gc.net/

thanks i will

yea i understand the concept, i was just wondering if anybody had put a 7afe crank in a 4age block. but then i read that the most stroke you can have on a 4age block is 83mm. then by reading more about this i notice that the 5age engine is just that a stroke/bored out 4age engine. so thats what i might build this summer/fall.

thanks again

Bikeman982

yea i understand the concept, i was just wondering if anybody had put a 7afe crank in a 4age block. but then i read that the most stroke you can have on a 4age block is 83mm. then by reading more about this i notice that the 5age engine is just that a stroke/bored out 4age engine. so thats what i might build this summer/fall.

thanks again

You could probably buy a 4AGE engine already built and swap it into your car.

Topic List