Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Front Wheel Bearing Replacment, Easy?

by texasrolla, March 15, 2007

I think both the front wheel bearings are on their last leg because I it clunks when the making hard turns. Has anyone pulled the front wheel bearing off? Is there a bearing puller that I can buy? I do have a bearing puller that I bought for a BMW I used to have, and I'm sure the bearing size is different. However, I might be able to rig something up using my BMW puller.

Are you talking about the hub bearing/unit bearing? The best method to test these to see if they are bad is to jack up the vehicle and try to wiggle the tire top to bottom. If you see movement, then the bearing is no good...

Bikeman982

The bearings are hard to get out, but if you are going to change them, it is easier to do it, knowing you won't re-use them.

Putting new ones in is not too hard. Just tap in evenly around the edges until it is seated tightly.

I don't see any movement when I wiggle the front wheels. I also don't hear loud whining noise from the wheel either. This would seem to suggest the wheel bearings are OK. However, the clunking is getting louder. To be more specific, the clunk is only heard when accelerating from a standstill with the wheel turned to either side. Also, the clunking doesn't sound like CV joint on the axle. My experience is CV joint makes clicking sound.

My experience is CV joint makes clicking sound.

A bad CV/drive axle also makes a clunking noise. Are the inner and outer boots ok? Here's an article that describes your exact symptoms. Fairly difficult DIY repair, I've never done it.

http://autorepair.about.com/library/a/1f/bl698f.htm

Bikeman982

I have removed both half shafts (drive axles) and replaced them. It is recommended you change the shaft with the CV joints on them, rather than just the CV joint.

It is a little difficult to access, but you can get the boot clamp off, remove the boot and take the axle out of the transmission (it is just pressed in).

It is fairly easy to get off the wheel - just take out the cotter pin, castle retainer, and remove the 22mm axle nut.

Take the control arm bolt out so the tire will turn further than normal and tap the axle in (it will come loose).

Hope this helps.

I took both axles out when I was doing the manualization of the transmission. The boots on the axle don't have tears or rips, and they look brand new. However, I suspect the axles are of the cheap McParts rebuilt variety because of the size of the axle nut. I've had rebuilt axle from McParts fail within one year, on my Hondas. So, it wouldn't surprise me if it's the axle.

Just out of curiosity, I want to relate to an experience 15 years ago. Back then, my 2nd generation Honda Civic was making a clunking sound near the front wheel. A professional mechanic diagnosed the problem and made the clunking sound go away for less than 200 bux, and the service manager told me the culprit was the "hub." I thought maybe the SM meant the wheel bearing when he said the "hub." Do you all know how the hub can make clunking sound? Just curious.

I've never known a bearing to cause a clunking sound. Usually a bearing will whine, sing or groan before it crashes and burns.

My left front bearing was bad when I bought the Corolla. He quieted it down after my test drive. I think he might have pulled the axle, loaded the bearing area up with grease and retorqued the nut because when it let go altogether, the bearing guts fell out in my hands and it had fresh white grease present.

You can sometimes tell if a wheel bearing is shot by spinning the wheel on that side with one hand while holding the strut with the other hand. Sometimes the vibration transfers into the strut and helps you to pinpoint the problem.

I can't comment on the hub causing the clunk you describe....sounds unlikely but stranger things happen. I do know that the hub needs to be replaced with the bearing many times due to the press fit bearing spinning on the hub and scoring it to the point where it can't be reused. That was the case with mine. I drove it until it was groaning pretty hard though.

Jay in MA

I took both axles out when I was doing the manualization of the transmission. The boots on the axle don't have tears or rips, and they look brand new. However, I suspect the axles are of the cheap McParts rebuilt variety because of the size of the axle nut. I've had rebuilt axle from McParts fail within one year, on my Hondas. So, it wouldn't surprise me if it's the axle.

Just out of curiosity, I want to relate to an experience 15 years ago. Back then, my 2nd generation Honda Civic was making a clunking sound near the front wheel. A professional mechanic diagnosed the problem and made the clunking sound go away for less than 200 bux, and the service manager told me the culprit was the "hub." I thought maybe the SM meant the wheel bearing when he said the "hub." Do you all know how the hub can make clunking sound? Just curious.

Bikeman982

You can usually tell if bearings are wearing away by a grinding sound and "feel" as you drive.

I have not know any bearings to "clunk".

Hubs don't normally make any noise - it is the bearings and the axles and the other moving parts that can wear and make noise.

Sometimes it is the CV joints, the brakes, or even a transmission that will "clunk".

hey guys, I am hearing like a rumbling/howling sound , like from the tires in front, but

the same sound regardless of changing the tires.

Do you think it is the bearings or just the sound insulation getting old on the corolla ??

thanks

g'day,

howling sounds maybe cause by tyre threads. i got presently a bridgestone Grid II (195/50 R15) mounted on my rear left which you could hear the annoying howling and rambling sound , the toyo proxes are are fitted on the front (2) and rear right seems to be quite. i try substituting the bridgestone w/ my spare (yokohama s306) and the annoying sound went away.

just a point to consider,

rey t

i get the same sound , it makes no difference changing the tires.

Topic List