Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Gen 9 Weatherstripping Fix

by BobLevine, March 12, 2007

Some Gen 9 owners may see rapid wear on black weatherstrip inside car surrounding doors - this is the part on the car not on the door.

Gasket is combined with interior trim. Easy to change but $100 each (about 70 at 1sttoyotaparts).

After doing several of them and seeing them start to fail again, I finally found the solution.

Take some narrow black electrical tape.

Clean the worn areas thoroughly.

Put on the tape.

Not only fixes but protects from future wearthrough in the same spot.

Very poor design. Strip was improved in 2005 models but still wears away by rubbing when you enter and exit.

Only a small spot wears through each time. No need to change the expensive parts. Almost invisible repair also does what Toyota forgot to do by protecting from abrasion.

Why didn't I think of it before?

Some Gen 9 owners may see rapid wear on black weatherstrip inside car surrounding doors - this is the part on the car not on the door.

Gasket is combined with interior trim. Easy to change but $100 each (about 70 at 1sttoyotaparts).

After doing several of them and seeing them start to fail again, I finally found the solution.

Put on the tape.

Very poor design. Strip was improved in 2005 models but still wears away by rubbing when you enter and exit.

Only a small spot wears through each time. No need to change the expensive parts. Almost invisible repair also does what Toyota forgot to do by protecting from abrasion.

I'm having a problem with my weatherstrip on my rear door. - 2004 Corolla LE. I'm trying to figure out the best method of fixing this and after reading this post I was a little confused at what you did. Where did you put he black tape on? The metal part on the body of the car or inside the black weatherstrip? And, do you just put it on the section and push the weatherstrip back on? Does this really hold it?

I'm having a problem right at the curved part of the door. It's almost like it's not long enough to fit. I push it on and then it pops off about 8-10 inches further up. I push that part back on and then the lower part pops off. It's a constant lose-lose situation.

Any advice? Thanks so much!

Also...I've heard from some people that this specific issue was recalled by Toyota. Has anyone heard this? I can't find it anywhere.

Thanks again!

Put on the tape.

I'm having a problem with my weatherstrip on my rear door. - 2004 Corolla LE. I'm trying to figure out the best method of fixing this and after reading this post I was a little confused at what you did. Where did you put he black tape on? The metal part on the body of the car or inside the black weatherstrip? And, do you just put it on the section and push the weatherstrip back on? Does this really hold it?

I'm having a problem right at the curved part of the door. It's almost like it's not long enough to fit. I push it on and then it pops off about 8-10 inches further up. I push that part back on and then the lower part pops off. It's a constant lose-lose situation.

Any advice? Thanks so much!

Also...I've heard from some people that this specific issue was recalled by Toyota. Has anyone heard this? I can't find it anywhere.

Thanks again!

My issue is cracking at the edge, not shrinkage away from the frame.

Could try 3M Weatherstrip adhesive holding in place with a clamp till bonded.

friendly_jacek

Put on the tape.

Can you post a picture please?

I'm having a similar problem with the weatherstripping on my rear doors. It's the same as the gaskets along the top of the car. Due to the extreme conditions out here in the desert, the rubber shrinks up and warps a bit. I'm going to pull them off and bring them in the house to warm up for about 24 hours or so. Hopefully, this will loosen them up enough to fit back in and secure with some black silicone adhesive I picked up.

My Corolla LE is six years old, and the weather stripping around all 4 doors is just as good as the day it was made. I am having great difficulty understanding the problem here. What could possibly be causing all this wear and tear? When entering and exiting my Corolla, I make absolutely no contact with the weatherstripping, and would have to make a conscious effort to do so. I'm pretty sure that if I were silly enough to try to get into the car while staggering drunk, I still wouldn't be able to touch that weatherstripping unless I really wanted to. I cannot understand how someone who is of a size which permits them to enter the car, and who possesses enough motor coordination to be able to actually drive it, couldn't enter and exit the car without touching that weatherstripping. I've examined my weatherstripping on all four doors, in the full 360-degrees around the door, on both the door opening on the car body and the door itself, and cannot find a single millimeter of the weatherstripping which is worn due to any sort of contact friction or abrasion. HOW IS THIS HAPPENING?

I have observed something about how I enter and exit vehicles, and it may offer a solution. Before getting into the car, I grab the steering wheel with my right hand. It stabilizes me and allows me to sit down in the driver's seat without any tendency to slip or stumble. It also helps to orient me to the position of the steering wheel and the driver's seat, telling my brain what motions are necessary to enter the vehicle without colliding with something. Perhaps this would help those who are coming into contact with their door weatherstripping. Just a thought.

The problem I had was cracking at the edges which were worn thin by people entering and exiting.

Depends on how you enter/exit.

I put the tape on the edge where it gets rubbed to protect it.

Not just me. When I first had the problem with my 2003 CE, showed Toyota district rep several returned rental units on the lot showing the exact same problem.

I've had a few pieces of weatherstripping pop off the car. The way my body shop guys explained it to me, driving around in the desert heat will warp the rubber, and it eventually shrinks up and pops off. For the rear door (the most recent), I pulled off the weatherstripping and hung it up in our furnace room for about 3 days. Took it back out and popped it into place. I also put a little bit of black silicon adhesive in one of the most troublesome corners. Good as new! We did the same thing to the strips along the top of the car.

Topic List