Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Rusty Rotors Creaking Back Window

by chill99, March 3, 2007

I've had my new 2007 Corolla for 3 weeks now. I've taken it back 3 times because of a loud intermittent squeak in the back window. They told me they put a "spacer" around the window but it still squeaks and the dealer is impatient. What should I do?

I have the nice aluminum wheels and today I noticed (after only having the car 3 weeks) that the rotors on both front wheels are badly rusted. Is this normal? What can I do to stop the rust?

Thanks!

Wow, your windows squeak on an 07? My 94s rear windows, when going down, sound like a seagull. Loud squeaking, like really high pitched . . .I dunno if I can lubricate something, or. . .or maybe its just the freezing temperatures that make all the rubber and plastics hard, and not smooth. I dunno, people always laugh when they put the windows down in the back, in my car.

As far as the rotor rust , I think its normal. Usually rotors will show some rust in the winter, or in wet conditions, or if the car is sitting for a while without being driven. I wouldnt worry too much.

Thanks for the reply. I hope you're right about the rotors. They just look like heck, and it's a brand new car!

About the creaking window: I mean the very back window (with the defroster). If I go over a rough road it sounds like someone's rocking back and forth in an antique rocking chair in the back seat. I've had a friend ride back there, and he says the noise comes from where the window meets the frame at the top centre. It seems to be worse in very cold weather (I'm in Ontario, near where the Corollas are built).

I think I'd rather have your window problem: if you have an annoying backseat driver you can simply move your rear windows up and down for revenge!

Something is definitely not right with the rear window - just like the front window - you can consider them integral components of the unibody structure. I'd have the dealer fix it right or replace the car in that case. Might even consider trying a different dealership if you don't get too far with this one. As for the rotors - surface rusting is pretty normal. As they will start to corrode immediately after any contact with any moisture - nothing to worry about.

If you ride your car frequently, rusted rotors is a bad sign of a serious brake probem. If you drive frequently your rotors will shine from constant contact with the brake pads, if rust is present on the rotor surface, it means that pads are not engaging on the outter side of the rotor. Check if the inside is shiny and clean, if it is, your caliper slides are most likely frozen and need immediate repair.

it still squeaks and the dealer is impatient.
The dealer is impatient?!?! You need to tell them that you are getting impatient with this problem. If they will not fix the problem, then I would find another dealer.

• 1,424 posts
If you ride your car frequently, rusted rotors is a bad sign of a serious brake probem. If you drive frequently your rotors will shine from constant contact with the brake pads, if rust is present on the rotor surface, it means that pads are not engaging on the outter side of the rotor. Check if the inside is shiny and clean, if it is, your caliper slides are most likely frozen and need immediate repair.

I drive my car 40 miles just to work and back every day, and I can attest to the fact that it can stop from 60 mph in 116 feet. When I get home my car's rotors aren't rusted, but when I go out to close the garage door at night (about 4 hours later) they are rusted all over. My calipers aren't sticking, and my pads definitely are contacting my rotors, or else I wouldn't be able to stop on a dime like I can.

I think you need to revise your statement to say that if your car has rust on the brakes right after you've driven it that your pads aren't contacting your rotors and you need to get the brakes repaired immediately.

Topic List