Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

4age To 4afe Tranny?

by 954afe, March 2, 2007 in Performance, Engines, Engine Swaps, Cornering

does anyone know if a 4age will bolt up to my 4afe tranny?

yes, same bell housing bolt pattern, all A series blocks use the same pattern. however if your 4afe trans is a C series it wont be as good as an E series. the C series have problems with the synchro's longevity.

ya ive heard stuff about that, not sure what series trannyit is since i changed it from my old one. im just looking for an engine to swap in for now since im gonna build up my old one

If that is the case - I would just swap in another 4AFE and build the 4AGE. The 4AGE makes a much better platform to build power - as the engien was always designed with performance in mind.

Bikeman982

I tried to put a 7A-FE on the tranny for the 4A-FE and even though it appeared like it would fit - the bell housing was about an inch too short.

At first I thought it was just the torque converter, but they are the same for both engines.

I tried to put a 7A-FE on the tranny for the 4A-FE and even though it appeared like it would fit - the bell housing was about an inch too short.At first I thought it was just the torque converter, but they are the same for both engines.
thats because you didnt swap the torque converters between the 2 transmissions, the A131L and the A245E converters are different.

Bikeman982

I tried to put a 7A-FE on the tranny for the 4A-FE and even though it appeared like it would fit - the bell housing was about an inch too short.At first I thought it was just the torque converter, but they are the same for both engines.

thats because you didnt swap the torque converters between the 2 transmissions, the A131L and the A245E converters are different.

I have only seen one size torque converter for the transmissions I have used - for both 1.6L 4A-FE engine and 1.8L 7A-FE engine.

I don't know which transmission they are, but I think they are the A245E.

ya thats what everyone tells me, i may have found a 4afe engine close to me that i can buy for now, but i really wanna stick with the 4afe, just to kinda prove it has some kinda potential. even though ill prolly be using the 4age crankshaft and 4agze pistons, i wanna keep the head and block the same, im not looking for crazy output, 200hp would be fine, just to be able to do something a bit different than a straight swap and bolt ons. just need to get a spare engine in there, alot of places are asking crazy amounts for them around here and im just not willing to deal with those people, i say 300 and no more ya know. but like i said i think i found a new 4afe around my parts. but its good to know that a 4age and 4afe tranny match up, it means that the 4age tranny which you said is stronger will bolt up to a 4afe engine correct? this will come in handy when im ready to put down more than 100 hp ya know, 4afe tranny just cant handle that ha

Bikeman982

ya thats what everyone tells me, i may have found a 4afe engine close to me that i can buy for now, but i really wanna stick with the 4afe, just to kinda prove it has some kinda potential. even though ill prolly be using the 4age crankshaft and 4agze pistons, i wanna keep the head and block the same, im not looking for crazy output, 200hp would be fine, just to be able to do something a bit different than a straight swap and bolt ons. just need to get a spare engine in there, alot of places are asking crazy amounts for them around here and im just not willing to deal with those people, i say 300 and no more ya know. but like i said i think i found a new 4afe around my parts. but its good to know that a 4age and 4afe tranny match up, it means that the 4age tranny which you said is stronger will bolt up to a 4afe engine correct? this will come in handy when im ready to put down more than 100 hp ya know, 4afe tranny just cant handle that ha
The 4A-FE engine seems to be pretty common. I am sure you can find one fairly cheap.

I have only seen one size torque converter for the transmissions I have used - for both 1.6L 4A-FE engine and 1.8L 7A-FE engine.

the 4afe was only mated to the A131L, the 7afe got the A245E. Fish had told you before here that the input shaft on the 2 transmissions were different lengths (or maybe it was the oil pump shaft) which means that the converter from one wont fit on the other trans correctly. when swapping an auto trans and an engine always make sure that all your parts match, just like matching your engine and pcm.

Bikeman982

the 4afe was only mated to the A131L, the 7afe got the A245E. Fish had told you before here that the input shaft on the 2 transmissions were different lengths (or maybe it was the oil pump shaft) which means that the converter from one wont fit on the other trans correctly. when swapping an auto trans and an engine always make sure that all your parts match, just like matching your engine and pcm.

I have seen the converter from both size engines and they appear identical. The transmission themselves (the housing) are a different size and that is where the problem of compatibility existed.

Which input shaft are you talking about - the shaft that the torque converter rides on, or the shafts for the drives (to the wheels)??

The oil pumps are identical.

The PCM or ECU/ECM are different, depending on the size engine and if it is CA spec's or not.

I suggest that anyone wanting to change an engine get one with the engine/transmission already together.

It makes for installation easier and it also solves the compatibility problem.

i'm talking about the transmission input shaft and the transmission oil pump.

Bikeman982

i'm talking about the transmission input shaft and the transmission oil pump.
I am not exactly sure what you mean, the engine is connected to the transmission by only the torque converter, the mounting bolts, and the starter.

There is a shaft inside the transmission which the torque converter goes on and the torque converter gets attached to the flywheel by six 10MM bolts.

The starter connects to the flywheel and uses two mounting bolts - one from the engine side, the other from the transmission side.

The only other physical connections to the transmission are the two half shafts (drive) and of course the body mounts (three).

Is there something I am missing?

very_high_rolla

but i really wanna stick with the 4afe, just to kinda prove it has some kinda potential. even though ill prolly be using the 4age crankshaft and 4agze pistons,

Trust me the 4afe has NO!!! power potential. You will NEVER get to 200hp with that motor. I've seen it so many times, people building up a 4afe, as soon as they are done they go out and buy a 4age. If you want to get more power from a 4afe, put a turbo on it. Otherwise DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY

Guest TisList

I am not exactly sure what you mean, the engine is connected to the transmission by only the torque converter, the mounting bolts, and the starter.

There is a shaft inside the transmission which the torque converter goes on and the torque converter gets attached to the flywheel by six 10MM bolts.

The starter connects to the flywheel and uses two mounting bolts - one from the engine side, the other from the transmission side.

The only other physical connections to the transmission are the two half shafts (drive) and of course the body mounts (three).

Is there something I am missing?

Speaking of the drive shafts, i am too trying to do a 4afe>4age fwd swap in my ‘95 corolla. I am wondering if the drive shafts are the same from the 5 speed mt to the 6speed lsd mt? Dont want to run into any errors when i am doing my swap so please tell me if i can reuse them or have to buy new ones and maybe a neew wheelbase?

thank you in advance

Topic List: Go to Performance, Engines, Engine Swaps, Cornering